Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How does a homeless person get off the streets without a birth certificate?

How does a homeless person get off the streets without a birth certificate?

Im not the one thats homeless, someone in my neighborhood is homeless and says she cant get an id to get a place cause she cant get her birth certificate, she was born in another state, I hate to constantly see her out on the street like that, my apt building wont let you take in someone homeless so thats out. so how does someone get an id if they cant get a birth certificate, i was just wondering so i could tell her how to do it, any ideas?

Posted - December 30, 2020

Responses

I don't know how she could get the birth certificate but I think it is cool  that you feel bad for her and would like to help.  Cheers and Happy New Yeat!
      December 30, 2020 9:11 PM MST

I would direct her to The United Way in your community. They should be able to direct her to the appropriate agency who assists people with obtaining identification. 

www.unitedway.org
      December 31, 2020 8:15 AM MST

How would a homeless person be able to get on the Internet?  Surely there must be a homeless shelter that would take her in.  They can also direct her on how to obtain her birth certificate.
      December 31, 2020 12:30 PM MST

Public libraries are free. Internet access is available there.
      December 31, 2020 5:50 PM MST

I was offering the website for Pearl to help with the legwork, if the person doesn't have access. 
      December 31, 2020 7:18 PM MST

I see - my mistake.  I'm sorry.
      December 31, 2020 8:21 PM MST

No worries. :)
      January 1, 2021 5:51 PM MST

Thanks. :)
      January 1, 2021 8:42 PM MST

I don't know about the ID thing. There must be some means because people lose all their ID in housefires. Very likely there'd be a way to trace the IDs of her parents or others who knew her well in the past.

If I was in her situation I'd try advertising for a live-in position as a housekeeper.
    There would be difficulties with not having references but eventually someone would give her a try.
    In the meantime, she could do voluntary work at soup kitchens and charity op shops. This would help build her character references and also help build relationships with functional people who have good connections. This post was edited by inky at January 2, 2021 1:01 AM MST
      December 31, 2020 12:39 PM MST

Does she have a SS card or passport?  One or both of these would make the process easier.  In what state was she born? 
      December 31, 2020 11:09 PM MST

she was born in south carolina, i dont think she has a social security card or passport cause she dont even have an id
      January 1, 2021 12:45 PM MST