Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Maurice214
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » A shark is chasing you so then you climb onto an iceberg, but now you are freezing. Would you jump back in water and let the shark eat you?

A shark is chasing you so then you climb onto an iceberg, but now you are freezing. Would you jump back in water and let the shark eat you?

A quick less painful death rather than slowly freezing the life out of you and since you will die one way or another anyway so if shark eats you that might spare the life of some poor innocent seal.

Posted - January 3, 2021

Responses

I'm pretty sure sharks don't like freezing waters, so it isn't likely they would be near Antarctica and neither would I. :)
      January 3, 2021 7:59 AM MST

Actually, that depends on species. Greenland sleeper sharks live under ice floes.
      January 3, 2021 12:13 PM MST

I learned something new today.  Thank you. :)
      January 3, 2021 2:46 PM MST

January 3, 2021 3:16 PM MST

The shark was so hungry that it chased the swimmer all the way from the Great Barrier Reef.
      January 3, 2021 12:15 PM MST

Holy smokes!
      January 3, 2021 2:45 PM MST

Eating one meal doesn’t automatically mean that the seal is or is not saved as a result, because that seal seal very well might be next. It might prolong the seal’s fate for a while, but the other consideration is that many types of sharks hunt in packs. A feeding frenzy has them consuming large numbers of prey. 

I’d most likely stay on the iceberg. Weather cold enough for iceberg conditions means the water is cold enough for hypothermia to set in, so either water or iceberg, I’d take a chance on freezing, but it’s worse in the water because it’s quicker. Besides, the water is the shark’s environment. The possibility or probability of being rescued from the iceberg still exist, and at theoretically higher rates than water rescue, or shark rescue. 

Great question, great scenario. It’s all very thought-provoking and intriguing.

~

This post was edited by Randy D at January 3, 2021 12:48 PM MST
      January 3, 2021 8:57 AM MST

Death by hypothermia is one of the kindest. One falls asleep within ten minutes and never wakes up.
      January 3, 2021 12:03 PM MST

'Zat right? During the winter sometimes I step out onto balcony in my bare skin for less than half a minute and it makes me think ' freezing to death must be an awful way to go'.
      January 3, 2021 12:09 PM MST

In this case, hypothermia could take place either in the water or on the iceberg, right?  As such, choosing hypothermia doesn’t say which of the two scenarios you’d prefer. I’m jes’ wonderin’.

~

January 3, 2021 12:32 PM MST