Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » People say 'God bless America'. Isn't that a bit self centered? Why not say 'God bless planet Earth'?

People say 'God bless America'. Isn't that a bit self centered? Why not say 'God bless planet Earth'?

Or would that sound too much like promoting globalization?
Afterall God did create the planet earth didn't He and not just USA.

Posted - January 21, 2021

Responses

I was glad I looked ours up. It was a charter of rights case brought against the school board by a Muslim father. His argument was that when his kids had to leave the classroom and wait in the hall while the other students said prayer, that it was telling them that they were somehow bad and the other students thought they were bad. I remember there were two kids in my class that always went to the hall during prayer and national anthem and I was sooo jealous of them and always wondered what they did out there for those few minutes lol. I never thought that they felt embarrassed by it. I just thought they were lucky. 
      January 21, 2021 8:13 PM MST

Lol. I can see a kid thinking that. 
    The only thing we had like that was the kids who could not do birthdays. I was always sad for them. 
      January 21, 2021 8:36 PM MST

I don’t really remember any kids that couldn’t do birthdays. There was one kid in my class that was a Jehovah Witness in Kindergarten so maybe she couldn’t. I remember she used to tell me at recess that one day monsters would come to the world and kill/ eat me and she would be able to pet them and they wouldn’t hurt her because she was Jehovah witness. She gave me nightmares so I wasn’t her friend to know if she had a birthday or not.  
      January 21, 2021 8:46 PM MST

I never thought about the fact that the line ”god keep our land...” is in the national anthem. That is so odd to me thinking about it now because I remember when they stopped allowing that prayer about the bread or whatever it was in school, I think I was in grade one at the time, but we still had to sing O’Canada every morning even when they cut out all religious stuff. Weird. 

January 21, 2021 10:46 AM MST

This is stranger even. I know you are younger than me.  I never prayed in school ever.  My husband (8yr older than me) did.  

So Canada which seems more secular than US was praying in school longer than the US.  

We said the pledge to the flag every day which does say "One Nation Under God."  My kids were told they did not have to say that line IF they objected to it but had to be quiet during. 
      January 21, 2021 11:00 AM MST

I think you’re right :) 
      January 21, 2021 10:45 AM MST

Some people say 'God save the Queen'.  Why not say 'God save Planet Earth'?
      January 21, 2021 7:07 PM MST

Viva la France also. 

~

January 21, 2021 7:25 PM MST