Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » If they have, how have your feelings about 'older people' changed as you've gotten older?

If they have, how have your feelings about 'older people' changed as you've gotten older?

All of my great-grandparents were deceased before I was born, but one of my grandparents was over 70 when I was born and he was wonderful fun when I was a young child. Overall, I viewed older people with respect, didn't begin to find them very relatable until I was well into adulthood, even approaching middle-age. The older I get, the more I've realize that making assumptions about people based on their age is foolish and robs us of opportunities to learn from people both much older and much younger than ourselves.

Posted - January 23, 2021

Responses

One of my grandfathers died in 1923, and the other died well before the war (specifically WWII - since there have been so many of them). But I do have a sample of my great-great-great grandfather's (b.1781) everyday handwriting - a shopping list and notes relating to a legal suit. 
    To my thinking, the thing about older people is, they have accumulated such a vast store of knowledge, even if unknowingly, and their memory reaches back to a time that has for us, become 'history'.  This post was edited by rattbagge at January 23, 2021 2:02 PM MST
      January 23, 2021 11:58 AM MST

It's truly incredible. 

So many lessons from so many people if we're open to learning them. 
      January 23, 2021 2:10 PM MST

When I was young I never gave much thought mobility problems associated with old age.
    "Why is Grampa so slow?" Now that I am older (age 75) I have found out that mobility can involve a certain amount of pain and less stamina. I need to use a walker to help get around for about the last year now. This post was edited by Kittigate at January 23, 2021 7:21 PM MST
      January 23, 2021 12:07 PM MST

And still your mind is sharp and nimble! 

Currently I'm rebelling against the need for glasses for everyday life and wondering why the hell my skin is suddenly dryer than the Sahara. (All while staying grateful for every day, year and silver hair that I'm still around for). 

Thank you! 
      January 23, 2021 2:08 PM MST

I know my BFF and I have lost our life together.  Now at the end, what can I say, except "I told you so."  I look old, I feel old, I'm not that stary eyed woman who was swept off her feet. 
      January 23, 2021 3:03 PM MST

How have you two lost your life together?
    ___

January 23, 2021 7:22 PM MST

I'm sitting in an empty kitchen right now.  We are not in each other's company in real life. 

All these years we missed out on dancing, laughing and being together.  The time is gone, can't get it back, it is a big fat loss. At least that is the way I feel, it does take two to tango.  Sometimes missing him is really too much to bear, an ache in the heart kind of thing. 

This post was edited by . at January 24, 2021 8:35 AM MST
      January 24, 2021 3:44 AM MST

And this was because he was older or you were older, you mean? 

Sorry, I'm trying to see how this relates to my question... 
      January 24, 2021 9:56 AM MST

Yes, I had no idea old age came with so much physical pain and such a short future.  In 11 small years I'll be 99 if I make it.  A lot of my relatives pass away at 81-83.  I figure that gives me 3-6 years for what? 
      January 24, 2021 2:35 PM MST