Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What was an incident in which you have ever been jealous of someone?

What was an incident in which you have ever been jealous of someone?

~

Posted - April 8, 2021

Responses

I don't consider myself a jealous person.  I think I have said this before: I do admire others artful creativity, intelligence, or ability to chose a hairstyle or clothing that looks good on them.  I have come to admire those who have a God given talent for writing realizing it is one of my weaknesses. This has come with age and maturity.  I guess there is one person I met 48 years ago I was jealous of.  The minute I met her I disliked her.  She was beautiful, perfect skin, perfect hair.  She was everything I wanted to be but wasn't.  Eventually we became friends and I learned to love she and her husband for who they were.  They are special people with great hearts and are still married to this day.   
      April 8, 2021 8:17 AM MDT

Back home on the farm years ago our neighbor decided to enrich 10 acres of his farmland with all the dung from his cow barns and pig pens to grow a good healthy crop of potatoes. He had a contract to sell all these potatoes to be made into french fries for MacDonald's restaurants.

To show off how wealthy he had become he bought a flashy brand new Oldsmobile 98 complete with air conditioning and all the extras.
      April 8, 2021 8:23 AM MDT

Every time someone wins the lottery.
      April 8, 2021 9:34 AM MDT

I have a mild envy, and admiration, for those whose abilities exceed mine, where I have only a passing knowledge. But then, we all have unique abilities, and there may be someone out there who has an admiration for me. Jealousy is only for the petty and ignorant.
      April 8, 2021 11:39 AM MDT

How is “mild envy” not just a euphemism for jealousy at a less stringent level, similar to a “white lie” still being a lie disguised in a cutesy excuse?

~

April 8, 2021 12:05 PM MDT

That was my intention, with the emphasis on mild. I think the word jealous is a bit harsh and negative.
      April 8, 2021 12:09 PM MDT

Yet synonymous with the exact same concept, wouldn’t you agree?

One main use of euphemisms is the deflection of significance. It’s a nice try, but not lost on a grammarian. 

~

April 8, 2021 12:28 PM MDT

I think of jealousy as someone wanting what you have and them not having it.  Envy is you being happy for something someone has and would like to have the same.  
      April 8, 2021 3:23 PM MDT

Thank you. I’m aware of some pretty deep envy that goes well beyond your assessment. 

~

April 8, 2021 4:51 PM MDT

Well, if the envy goes that deep, maybe it's really jealousy.  Just sayin'.
      April 8, 2021 5:37 PM MDT

I know, huh?
      ~

April 8, 2021 5:47 PM MDT

I concur.
      April 8, 2021 8:21 PM MDT

Thank you, Doctor. :)
      April 9, 2021 7:36 AM MDT

Can't say I have ever been jealous.  Now envious a few times, a number of times.  1st time I remember was in the day of 3 speed bikes, the heavy clunkers; my best friend on his 12th Bday got a Schwinn 10 speed. 

I did not complain just requested similar on my B-day.  The sweater I received was needed however not a 10 speed.
      April 9, 2021 11:37 AM MDT