Discussion » Questions » Politics » When democracy crumbles and fails in America what form of government would you think might happen as a substitute?

When democracy crumbles and fails in America what form of government would you think might happen as a substitute?

Eg. Banana Republic, Constitutional Monarchy...

"A country that cannot even agree to investigate an assault on its own capital is in big trouble indeed"
-The New Yorker

Posted - July 24, 2021

Responses

That's fiction.
      July 26, 2021 5:46 PM MDT

Whatever government we all end up with, we are all screwed. Even the MAGA crowd but they won't learn until it's too late of course.
      July 25, 2021 10:29 AM MDT

The county I am in now, would most likely do what it did during the Civil War.  Declare itself independent.  Go back to The Kingdom of Callaway.   It has rich farm lands, so we could be self sustaining. This post was edited by ONeg-84 at July 28, 2021 5:18 PM MDT
      July 25, 2021 2:49 PM MDT

That's not applicable or comparable to the US.
      July 26, 2021 5:47 PM MDT

• I just found out I can claim dual citizenship between US and Canada due to my Mom having been Canadian.  I love the US, but if it continues to go downhill as it has been ... I'm outta here.  Our "democracy" has become the land of the loud mouth ... nuts coming out of the woodwork and being encouraged.  Lying has become the norm .. people believe whatever floats their boat dismissing science and fact and common sense!  
      July 26, 2021 2:17 PM MDT

Very good!
      July 26, 2021 5:41 PM MDT

• Thanks!!
      July 30, 2021 3:52 AM MDT

• My guess is the US would keep its current borders and its current form of government, but it would be governed in the same manner that Venezuela is governed.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 28, 2021 5:18 PM MDT
      July 28, 2021 2:06 PM MDT

Here’s my prediction, which will probably be wrong anyway.  I’m not real good at predicting things.

The US breaks up into smaller countries.

The country that’s the successor nation is still called the United States of America.  Its states are Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut , New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, part of West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri.

The Southern States of America are South Virginia, part of West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas.

West America is North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, East Washington, East Oregon, Jefferson (combination of southern Oregon and northern California) and East California.

Florida, Texas, coastal California, Alaska and Hawaii are all independent countries.  Costal Oregon and coastal Washington combined into one new country.

I just dreamt this up one night.  I dreamt I couldn’t see my dad and my stepmom in Minnesota because USA would’t let me in, so I went back to my hometown where my husband was complaining because the price of gasoline was 4.37 West America Dollars per liter. (West America switched to the metric system and also changed the numbers of Interstates and US highways.)  Umm yeah, that’s the weird stuff I dream up at night. This post was edited by Livvie at July 28, 2021 9:56 PM MDT
      July 28, 2021 5:50 PM MDT

That is good interesting stuff!. Thanks.
      July 28, 2021 9:59 PM MDT

Always an optimist, aren't you?
      July 29, 2021 6:40 PM MDT