Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Family » How would your life be different if you had to obey your parents and do everything they wanted until they died?

How would your life be different if you had to obey your parents and do everything they wanted until they died?

The ancient Romans really were a patriarchal society.  They had to listen to grandpa until he died, then dad got to be in charge until he died.  It didn’t matter to them if you turned 18.

In my case, if my mom were in charge, I’d have a different job, different spouse and a different religion.  In my husband’s case, there’s absolutely no way his parents would have let him marry me.

This question was partially inspired by this question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/132439/what-are-some-things-that-people-stop-doing-when-a-pivotal-or-i/view/post_id/917795

Posted - August 9, 2021

Responses

My job would be different instead of being a groundskeeper I would be a chemist because my mom wanted me to go into the family business which was manufacturing and distributing illegal drugs like uppers and downers. Instead of being married to a red headed Norwegian with a normal hard working family I would be married to a Ukrainian woman who's family was connected to the Ukrainian mob. And instead of living on a tropical Island in British Columbia I would be living in a dirty city in Ontario. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at August 9, 2021 6:48 PM MDT
      August 9, 2021 2:32 PM MDT

Chemist would be a good job.  I never went to college, but if I do in the future, I’ll probably study chemistry or physics.
      August 11, 2021 11:02 AM MDT

It would be a good job  as long as your not making ileagle drugs. Cheers!
      August 11, 2021 4:51 PM MDT

(your you’re)
      (ileagal illegal)

December 2, 2021 6:43 AM MST

Oh well heart break hotel. 
      December 2, 2021 7:50 AM MST

No idea, but they were right and still alive.
      August 9, 2021 3:01 PM MDT

My parents are still alive as well, and also both of my grandmas are still alive.  If my mom and her brother still had to listen to their mom, they’d both have to be doing some things differently.  I’m doing well, I haven’t been in a huge argument with my mom in two months!  That’s an accomplishment for me!  I think arguing with mom runs in my family.  My mom and her mom argue just about every time they see each other.
      August 11, 2021 11:07 AM MDT

I would likely have a better job as I would have made better grades and got a degree.  And still living in the same area as them. 

Other than that....they really were not very bossy. They treated me as an adult once I hit high school. As long as I was respectful to them and did not do things that would be stupid even for an adult. (Drugs/drinking driving etc)
      August 9, 2021 3:41 PM MDT

My dad wasn’t demanding.  He would’ve been happy with any career path I chose as long as it was a serious career.  His only stipulation was that if I chose to college, it had to be for a STEM degree.

If mom had her way, I would’ve gone to college but I’d be making way less money.  She had her heart set on me being a Christian school teacher and being the pastor’s wife.  I don’t know of anyone who could seriously imagine me in that role.
      August 11, 2021 11:11 AM MDT

I could not see you in either role and I don't know you that well.
      August 11, 2021 1:22 PM MDT

Mom never demanded from us, and when I joined the Navy, she was happy to see me go. My life would not have changed. (No father.)
      August 9, 2021 3:46 PM MDT

It’s good that she was at least happy to see you go and start a life.  My husband’s dad’s mom didn’t want to see her sons go, so she ended up with a son that moved back in with her when my M-I-L divorced him and he lived with her until she died.  When my grandmother-in-law died, my father-in-law actually couldn’t handle it and it was a big disaster. The lesson my husband took away from that was our own kids had better be making serious plans to move out when they’re 18.
      August 11, 2021 11:17 AM MDT

• I would be married and possibly be a father 
      August 9, 2021 4:25 PM MDT

Was it just that you were happier being single or that your parents had someone in mind that you just didn’t like? I’m really happy that my husband didn’t pick someone his parents liked, otherwise I’d still be single or with someone else. This post was edited by Livvie at December 2, 2021 6:46 AM MST
      August 11, 2021 11:21 AM MDT

• Happier being single
      August 11, 2021 4:21 PM MDT

My daughter wouldn't have been born, because I wouldn't have impregnated her mother out of wedlock. Mum just about hit the ceiling when I told her.
      August 10, 2021 4:28 AM MDT

I’d be really happy to have the daughter regardless of your marital status at the time.  I hope your mom feels differently about it now.
      August 11, 2021 11:23 AM MDT

She passed six years ago, but she had a quite close relationship with her eldest granddaughter.
      August 11, 2021 1:29 PM MDT

The only thing I can think of is that I wouldn’t have ever had any interracial relationships*, including my marriage.

*Of which I had many prior to getting married.
    ~

December 2, 2021 6:51 AM MST