Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Would you have thought that the killer of RFK would be granted parole?

Would you have thought that the killer of RFK would be granted parole?

RFK assassin Sirhan Sirhan granted parole by a California board after 2 of RFK's sons offer support for his release.  
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rfk-assassin-sirhan-sirhan-seeing-141408155.html

Posted - August 27, 2021

Responses

I'm always highly impressed when surviving family members of murdered kin go out of their way to offer support to those responsible for the killing of their family member.

I think there are some important and valid lessons for the rest of humanity when I see victims' family members do such things.

August 27, 2021 7:54 PM MDT

I'm not sure I could ever forgive the killer of a family member.  
      August 27, 2021 8:13 PM MDT

I get from where you're coming, yes. I'm unsure I could, either.

I've read some various things about family members who have forgiven -- it all amazes me in admirable ways. At the very least, it makes me realize that we as individuals are on life journeys and we experience our journeys in different ways and we can learn from one another.

Hard for me to explain what I'm trying to say.  :)
      August 27, 2021 8:18 PM MDT

I think there’s a big difference between forgiving the person who murdered a loved one and advocating for that person’s release from prison (or advocating many other positive moves on the murderer’s behalf). In this case, a radio report stated that two of Kennedy’s sons support Sirhan’s parole, and that one of those sons was a toddler when the murder was committed.

I side more with your line of thinking, SpunkySenior.
    ~
      August 27, 2021 10:03 PM MDT

Yes, there's a difference, but how does one advocate for release of a killer if they can't forgive?  
      August 28, 2021 6:29 AM MDT

“ . . . how does one advocate for release of a killer if they can't forgive?”

I meant it the other way around. Sort of, “I forgive you for murdering my father, and that prison cell is exactly where you belong for having done it.”
    ~

August 28, 2021 9:23 AM MDT

Ah, I misunderstood.  Thanks.
      August 28, 2021 9:55 AM MDT

You are so right. If they can have compassion and forgiveness for them, they're on a highly evolved spiritual level. 
      August 28, 2021 6:54 PM MDT

Thanks. :)
    Though my original answer maybe reads to me as if I know of countless such situations, I've actually not read a lot about such situations involving murder victims' family members and the murderers. But the few I did read were impressive to me in various small, large and emotionally-moving-to-me ways.

(To me, there are a lot of good and various points made in all of the posts for SpunkySenior's question.)
      August 29, 2021 7:24 PM MDT

I understand that there are those who are able to overlook the deed and forgive the person for what they've done.  In a way, I admire someone who can feel that generous.  I'm not that generous.  Doesn't make me more right. :)
      August 27, 2021 9:37 PM MDT

If he gets out, then someone needs to find him and do to him what he did to RFK.
      August 27, 2021 11:40 PM MDT

I vote for you. Go ahead.
      August 28, 2021 10:34 AM MDT

Thank you. Maybe if he shows up around here, but I'm not going to go hunting him.

August 28, 2021 6:11 PM MDT

A strong argument can be made that 53 years in prison is long enough. Keeping him locked up wouldn't bring RFK back, nor would it serve any other useful purpose or anyone's best interest. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at August 29, 2021 7:24 PM MDT
      August 28, 2021 10:37 AM MDT

“Keeping him locked up wouldn't bring RFK back . . . ”

Here’s an even better proposition: no convicted murderers should ever be released from prison until or unless the deceased victim has been brought back to life. 

“ . . . nor would it serve any other useful purpose or anyone's best interest.”

Not so fast; define “anyone”, please. A murderer being released from prison and roaming freely among society while the deceased victim has been permanently deprived of that option by that very person does not meet with the approval of “everyone”. There are some people who do not embrace the coddling of criminals and/or easing their lives in any ways or in many ways. 

August 28, 2021 9:18 PM MDT

Serving 53 years hardly qualifies as being coddled.
      August 28, 2021 10:43 PM MDT

Er, um, quite obviously I’m not referring to time served as being coddled, it’s giving the murderer something that he wants that is coddling, as in parole from custody.  You don’t seem to grasp obvious concepts very well. 

August 29, 2021 12:04 AM MDT

We don't have to agree, but your condescension is uncalled for and out of order.
      August 29, 2021 3:13 AM MDT

Gee, the pot calls the kettle black. Yet again, I point out YOUR frequent “condensation”, which apparently is authorized because YOU direct it to others, so now that you’re on the receiving end of supposed “condensation”, you cry foul. Sheer hypocrisy.

August 29, 2021 10:29 AM MDT

June 6th 1968 Sirhan sirhan shot Robert f Kennedy (The father of 11 children) in the head at point blank range in full public view at the Good Samaritan hospital in Los Angeles California, That man never should have been granted parole, out of Robert f Kennedy's 11 children only 2 of his children advocated for Sirhan Sirhan release. I don't get it.... How do you forgive someone who killed your father? That's just BS!!! 
      August 28, 2021 3:41 PM MDT

Actually, the shooting took place in a kitchen at the Ambassador Hotel. And unless someone killed a member of your family, you are in no position to judge the Kennedys.
      August 28, 2021 3:47 PM MDT

Whatever
      August 28, 2021 6:22 PM MDT

Wait a second! YOU judge the situation and/or the person/people involved, only YOU judge them differently than she does or than other people do. YOU have stated YOUR opinion here, and so has she. Why is it that YOUR favorable judgement should or can be deemed as valid, yet YOU attack a person who judges differently and you claim she cannot or should not judge? If and when a person responds in agreement to YOUR position in this thread, will you also retort that he or she cannot judge, or will you accept it because it props up your side? The only valid opinions are those that agree with YOURS? How did YOU get appointed the arbiter of who can post an opinion here?

August 28, 2021 9:25 PM MDT

Agree with you 100%
      August 29, 2021 5:47 AM MDT