Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Anyone think 2024 will be a rematch, Trump v Hillary?

Anyone think 2024 will be a rematch, Trump v Hillary?

Posted - December 16, 2021

Responses

Nope.
    Hillary was passed over so many times, she would have a difficult time getting the nomination.
    Trump alienated too many of those who voted for him the first time, and I doubt the Republicans would seriously nominate him unless something drastically changes.

Given that most independents are fed up with the extreme divisiveness both sides have been subjecting this country to, they need to nominate candidates towards the middle - who have a track record of cooperation.
      December 16, 2021 1:10 PM MST

I believe if Trump runs the nomination is his. Only possible creditable challenger being DeSantis. 

Hillary...who knows. She is better that Harris and not senile like Biden. 
      December 16, 2021 5:22 PM MST

Yes -- 

"Given that most independents are fed up with the extreme divisiveness both sides have been subjecting this country to"

And, yup, you mention Cooperation? What's that?
    I thought I'd never be good in politics -- and I guess I wouldn't -- I can cooperate.
      December 16, 2021 8:57 PM MST

I do not believe it is independents who decide elections.....I believe it is the candidate who gets their base out best. 
      December 17, 2021 8:39 AM MST

I agree and that’s what makes our elections so dysfunctional.  Maybe it’s time to consider compulsory voting and some other things to reduce the power of the two-party system.  

Compulsory voting would take away appealing to the base, politicians would have to try to win over more regular people, and it would take away voter suppression. This post was edited by Livvie at December 17, 2021 6:55 PM MST
      December 17, 2021 9:19 AM MST

I am fine with automatic voter registration (get your driver's license/state ID...you are registered to vote)  I do not think anyone should required to vote. 
    Too many people who do not vote on policy issues. They vote for who do I want to have a beer with.  I would prefer those people forget it is election day. 
      December 17, 2021 7:00 PM MST

I did not mean to come across as focusing on Walt O'Reagun's independents part of his answer. I'm tired of the divisiveness. That's what drew me to copy Walt's answer.
      December 17, 2021 11:37 AM MST

Ratio of voters by party tends to be consistant around 1/3 Republican, 1/3 Democrat, and 1/3 independent or small party.

So yes, getting your base out matters ... but appealing to independents matters more, unless your base turn out far exceeds your opponent (and their appeal to independent voters).

Pew research
      December 17, 2021 11:54 AM MST

Only 31 states have party registration. Overall voters breakdown as 40% are Dems, 29% Rep and 28% Ind.  Of course we thankfully do not vote via popular vote. We have 51 elections. By state 19 Dem and 12 Rep.  

Most southern states starting with Tx and going east do not register by party but I think we know what party would win there.

Dems have always said they need to register 3 voters to get 1 vote. 
    It is about the base coming out. 
      December 17, 2021 8:04 PM MST

I hope not.  Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were everything I think sucks about USA’s election system.  I’ll probably hate whoever the Democrats and the Republicans nominate in 2024 just as much.
      December 16, 2021 5:37 PM MST

I don't think so.  I don't really think anything yet about 2024.  I do hope to see a sweep next year.
      December 16, 2021 7:12 PM MST

I think the sweep in 2022 is definitely going to happen.  The recent elections have been and nothing has gotten better for the Dems. 
      December 17, 2021 8:36 AM MST

• I sure hope not. I refuse to believe that's the best this country has to offer. 
      December 16, 2021 8:48 PM MST

If so, and if they have a debate, I hope this time Hillary turns around and slugs him when he starts stalking behind her.
      December 16, 2021 8:54 PM MST

You think violence would bring the independents to her side?
      December 17, 2021 8:37 AM MST

Trump himself, even more than he had already by that point, turned me incredibly against him by his behavior in those moments.
    My impulsive side, and my impulsive answer when I posted it, only meant that I would like to have seen her do something, but I found her the bigger person by her ignoring his behavior. 

I did not mean to come across as focusing on the the independents part of Walt O'Reagun's answer. I'm just tired of the divisiveness.

EDIT: No, slugging him is not the answer.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 17, 2021 8:05 PM MST
      December 17, 2021 11:35 AM MST