Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Are smartphones an example of solid state electronics or is it something different?

Are smartphones an example of solid state electronics or is it something different?

Posted - December 22, 2021

Responses

Pretty much ALL modern electronics are "solid state".

The term "solid state" became popular in the beginning of the semiconductor era in the 1960s to distinguish this new technology based on the transistor, in which the electronic action of devices occurred in a solid state, from previous electronic equipment that used vacuum tubes, in which the electronic action occurred in a gaseous state.
      December 22, 2021 1:12 PM MST

Great answer. It reminds me of when I was about 14 or 15 years old and car stereo systems were the big rage, numerous advertisements were touting their product(s) as being “state-of-the-art!” As a curious lad, I remember walking down a busy street and seeing such a banner ad at an auto audio installation business that was located next door to a new car dealership. In fact, each of the two businesses had the wording on their signs. A salesman or some other such employee was just outside of the audio shop’s door as I passed by, so I asked him, “Excuse me, I keep seeing and hearing about state-of-the-art this and state-of-the-art that. What does it mean, please?”
      He looked genuinely and absolutely confused, it was as if he had never heard the expression. To make my point, I indicated the various signs around him that said state-of-the-art, which were advertising the products that his shop was pushing. To tell the truth, he still looked a little dumbfounded, but he said to me that he did not know what the expression meant. I went on my merry way, but it was a little bit incredulous to me that he worked at a place that was using an expression that he didn’t know about.
      Of course, as I got a little older, I came to understand that just because something takes place at your workplace doesn’t mean that you yourself know everything about it.

state of the art
    /ˌstād ə(v) T͟Hə ˈärt/

noun
    1. the most recent stage in the development of a product, incorporating the newest technology, ideas, and features.
      "the state of the art in 3D printing"

adjective
    1. belonging or relating to the most recent stage of technological development; having or using the latest techniques or equipment.
      "our scientists work in state-of-the-art facilities"

[~]

December 22, 2021 1:49 PM MST

Did you notice that that dictionary site shuns capitalization and punctuation rules?
    Here is one you could try. If you are ever in a place that sells TVs; Best Buy etc, ask someone what '60 Hz refresh rate' means.
      December 22, 2021 3:30 PM MST

Oak hay.
      ~

December 22, 2021 3:54 PM MST

We have a country club with that name. Wait, I'm wrong...it's 'Oak Pines'.
      December 22, 2021 4:02 PM MST