Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Did you personally know anyone who committed suicide?

Did you personally know anyone who committed suicide?

Posted - April 28, 2022

Responses

No. Everyone who committed suicide is dead.
      April 28, 2022 9:15 AM MDT

Uh...that's why I wrote 'Did'
      April 28, 2022 9:23 AM MDT

Yes
      April 28, 2022 10:58 AM MDT

No
      April 28, 2022 11:10 AM MDT

Yeah I knew 4 people that committed suicide. 2 hung them self's - one took a dry dive and one blew himself up in a mine that we were working in. All the suicides came as a surprize because none of them seemed like they would do something like that. Cheers!  
      April 28, 2022 11:14 AM MDT

Yes
      April 28, 2022 1:06 PM MDT

Me...................almost.
      April 28, 2022 2:36 PM MDT

Glad you are still with us. :)
      April 28, 2022 6:22 PM MDT

Glad you're here, too.  :)
      April 28, 2022 7:04 PM MDT

I don't  want to like your post because it makes me sad. I hope you never feel like doing that again.
      April 29, 2022 9:17 AM MDT

It happens when a person deals with significant psychological trauma. I'm ok now.
      April 29, 2022 9:19 AM MDT

A kid in my class in high school, I did not really know him. 
    A family member attempted. 

April 28, 2022 6:20 PM MDT

Yes.
      April 28, 2022 7:05 PM MDT

A cousin.
      April 29, 2022 9:41 AM MDT

Yes, one who I knew in person and one who was a member of this site that I was friends with from a previous site and we had corresponded with often on and off for years through emails. I didn’t respond to his last email he sent me because I was busy with life. I will always regret that I didn’t take a few minutes out of my time to just email him back. 
      April 29, 2022 8:41 PM MDT

Four.

Well, one was an acquaintance, not a close friend, and I do not know the background. A young woman, she threw herself in front of a London Underground train, I believe.

Another was a man in his 70s I knew as a fellow member of a club. He became so worried about falling ill and becoming a burden that he too jumped in front of a train.

I knew of the third's motive only recently though he took his own life probably twenty years ago now, I think by inhaling inert gas from a diving cylinder. In his thirties I think, it appears he was frightened that he was going blind.

The fourth case was perhaps the most tragic. The wife of a friend, it was put about that she had died of natural causes. I learnt only a fairly recently via mutual friends that no, she took her own life from guilt and grief overcoming her. She was, it transpired, a Jehovah's Witness and when their very young son fell dangerously ill she was unable or unwilling to disobey the cult and permit the hospital to give him the treatment that would have saved his life. She took her own life about a year or two later - I don't know how.  As far as I could make out the husband was never in the cult; or if he was he never admitted it.

Suicides by train are one of the most common but least mentioned reasons for train delays in the UK, and a terrible shock for the poor driver. In fact he or she is relieved by another if at all possible, for his or her sake, to recover.
      June 12, 2022 4:14 PM MDT

He was a fellow Marine who was in my unit early on in my military career when I was stationed with the Third Division. Five or six years after we had gone our separate ways, I heard from others who knew both of us that due to a broken relationship with a woman, he took his own life. I never found out if it was accurate information or not.

All these decades later, I remember how he introduced himself to people. He would start by saying his first was from the Bible, but that you might not ever guess it because it was uncommon in modern times. (I think I may have tried to guess it anyway, Moses, Micah, Lot, Nebuchadnezzar.) Anyhow, he would then tell you what it was, while looking for the expression on your face. He’d ask, “I’ll bet you don’t know anybody living today who has that name, do you?” I had to admit that in my case, I did not. Nowadays, decades later, there is a  well-known celeb who has that first name. I’ve just looked up that celeb’s date of birth, and coincidentally, he was born approximately two months before I met the man mentioned above.
    ~

June 12, 2022 9:14 PM MDT