Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Do you miss hanging your clothing on a clothes line?

Do you miss hanging your clothing on a clothes line?

The sun and air produced a freshness a dryer is not capable of.  I miss it a lot. 

Posted - June 1, 2022

Responses

I sometimes do it.  Just do it if you miss it. 
      June 1, 2022 12:58 PM MDT

I share your sentiment and your sentimentality on the subject.

I remember that great smell of laundry that had been dried that way. When I was growing up, our family must’ve been one of very last ones on the block to get a clothes dryer, because we were still hanging the wash on the clothesline long after no other neighbors were. In fact, it was one of the chores for the five children. And in the winter time, with heavy snow on the ground and icicles on the windows, we even had a system of indoor clotheslines. I can’t remember what grade I was in, but one of the neighbor kids in the neighborhood made some snide comment or remark about how we still hung our clothes on the clothesline. It it didn’t make any sense to me that using the clothesline or not using a clothesline was a big deal.
      Fast forwarding to my adult years, I have lived in places were hanging your clothes outside in any manner or method was prohibited, especially where I live now and there is a homeowner’s association in place.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 1, 2022 6:17 PM MDT
      June 1, 2022 1:12 PM MDT

Ooh, ooh...'it' after clothesline not capitalized.
      June 1, 2022 3:28 PM MDT

Oops! Thank you.

~

June 1, 2022 3:58 PM MDT

I'm a bit surprised by the answers here, because I like lined-dried clothes as well.

We hang them up between a pine tree and a fence when we can; otherwise, on one of those drying racks that finds itself by the fire in winter. My cousins could give you a downside, though: their mother makes them hang up the clothes by ascending size - lest the neighbours judge them.

Have you ever seen how they do it in Hong Kong? https://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/jimmi-ho-laundry-art-photography-020519
      June 1, 2022 1:38 PM MDT

No, and I  don't miss scrubbing them on a washboard either. 

June 1, 2022 6:08 PM MDT

You are a tad bit sassy today, hahaha, cute. 
      June 1, 2022 7:55 PM MDT

On the plus side, it kept your hands nice and clean (albeit a bit on the pruney side).  My washboard now resides in my shed.
      June 2, 2022 12:07 PM MDT

I like the idea of her being a little bit pruney in the fingertips and palms of her hands. It adds a deeper dimension to those all-body massages I dream of so fondly.

~

~

June 2, 2022 1:05 PM MDT

It gave me impressive biceps, too.
      June 2, 2022 2:53 PM MDT

This has brought to mind the countless times I helped my mom rush to get clothes off the line when a pop-up thundershower would appear out of nowhere. 

I've never line-dried, since I started doing laundry. I don't think I've ever had a clothesline. They did smell nice, though. Stiff, as others have said, but they smelled nice. 
      June 1, 2022 8:17 PM MDT

Nope. I do not. Though I do not remember ever doing it. But I remember what line dried clothes felt like....
      June 2, 2022 10:35 AM MDT

Still do. I prefer it, they don't wrinkle. I have to use a dryer at this time of year, but I line-dry the laundry in summer. Also South Australia has the most expensive electricity in the world (which is why it's also the most popular place for rooftop solar), so line drying is a LOT cheaper. Then there's all the clothing that says on the tag in bold face type "DO NOT TUMBLE DRY".
      June 2, 2022 6:00 PM MDT