Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Have you ever owned a mechanical typewriter?

Have you ever owned a mechanical typewriter?

Posted - June 20, 2022

Responses

No, but my mother sure did.
    ~

June 20, 2022 3:27 PM MDT

Yes, we had a small portable one that  I used for typing my husband's college papers and required writing for applications and admission to grad school programs.   Later, we bought one of the first electric word processors.  It functioned as an electric typewriter as well as a word processor.  The screen only showed two lines of text....but it was wonderful and worth every penny we paid for it. 
      June 20, 2022 3:32 PM MDT

I had a portable typewriter but I don't recall if it was manual or electric. I'm guessing it was manual.
     I know it was red.
      June 20, 2022 3:39 PM MDT

The one in the picture is manual.  Ours was very similar...it had a top that when on made the whole thing look like a little suitcase.  I wonder what happen to that little gem.  :)
      June 21, 2022 6:18 PM MDT

Yes.  Hated it. 

Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click - zing. Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click - zing.  Click, cli...  CRAP, misspelled a word!  (rip!  wad, wad, wad ,toss).  Shunk, snap, , roll, roll, roll, roll... check for evenness... roll, roll, roll.  Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click - zing. Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click - zing....)

Don't type too fast or the keys will jam.
    As the ribbon fades, you work gets lighter and lighter (unprofessional - redo).   
    When turning over the ribbon (red side down) or unjamming keys, some ink inevitably gets on your fingers (and doesn't wash out).

June 20, 2022 4:25 PM MDT

No, but my mom did. 

And her friend had this cool old adding machine type thing that we got to play with. I can't remember much about it, just that it was very fun to play with. 
      June 20, 2022 5:06 PM MDT

Yes.  It was the first typewriter I learned to type on and the one I had on my second job.  After that, they were all electric.
      June 20, 2022 5:58 PM MDT

Not mine, but I used my mother's, until Dad bought our first computer (1986). This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 22, 2022 10:08 AM MDT
      June 21, 2022 5:56 PM MDT

Yes.
    Like Jane S said, I'm unsure of its exact nature but it resembled  your image. And my computer keyboard is close enough for me.

But my favorite part is Leroy Anderson's "The Typewriter." I 'own' a couple of different recordings of his piece.
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 22, 2022 7:50 AM MDT
      June 21, 2022 8:17 PM MDT

no but i love the looks of them 
      June 23, 2022 6:48 PM MDT