Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Body Composting

Body Composting

It's been a running joke in my family that I should be cremated and they should snort my ashes.  But, then I discovered returnhome.com, where they compost your body..

I thought, DUDE!  They can grow some pot with it and smoke me..  I LOVE it.

You?

excon

Posted - July 4, 2022

Responses

There are a lot of benefits to body composting like you leave less of a carbon footprint. Takes a lot of resources to bury someone in a wood box and a lot of energy to cremate. Another benefit is it attracts a lot of beneficial micro organisms that improve soil. So I am all for it. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at July 4, 2022 8:12 PM MDT
      July 4, 2022 7:54 AM MDT

Sounds like something I might look into.

(uh - - there's  dangling preposition or whatever in that sentence - - well, with returnhome.com, that wouldn't be the only thing I left dangling, ha.)
      July 4, 2022 8:17 AM MDT

Sounds like a cool plan to me! 

My desire to be cremated is mostly based on having issues with the whole 'worms crawl in, worms crawl out' process, so I'm not sure I can wrap my head around it for me, personally.  

If there were an option to donate your body as food for a large predator rescue facility, I would totally be down with that. 
      July 4, 2022 8:36 AM MDT

Hello S:

So, being torn limb from limb by a large tiger, is better than worms???  Ok..  Everybody has preferences.

excon

July 4, 2022 9:05 AM MDT

Yep, tiger would be perfect. I'll be fertilizer in no time!
      July 5, 2022 5:18 PM MDT

I, too, am opposed to in-ground burial.  It takes up land that could be used to benefit the living.  One of my nieces found this website that does eco-friendly burials:  https://urnabios.com/
      July 4, 2022 10:33 AM MDT

It sounds quite clever. I'm going to be sliced and diced by medical students, and when they are done, I will have my family look into it.
      July 4, 2022 1:34 PM MDT

I have a grave site next to my Mother and grandparents that was given to me.  The one thing I don't like about it; there are restrictions on what you can put on the gravestone.  Name, birth and death date. That's about it.  The stones are flat on the ground and very plain, no exceptions, I already tried to expand on the information.  In my mind, I designed a oral and hologram method of recording history and image for future generations.  It will happen one day, I just wish i could make it happen now.  It would activate like the cooler lights at the grocery store; when you walk by they go on then turn off automatically.  It would be a great way to leave a lasting short message for future generations.  
    Death is so final and this would be a way to reach out to future generations and leave our wisdom for our gggg grandkids and anyone who is interested. 

This post was edited by Honey Dew at July 5, 2022 5:15 PM MDT
      July 4, 2022 2:17 PM MDT

Hello H:

I love that idea..  Hope you live long enough to install it.

excon
      July 5, 2022 3:30 PM MDT

Thank you, it would take more money than I will ever have to bring it to fruition, but it seems like it would be popular and a historical source in the future. 
      July 5, 2022 4:00 PM MDT

Hello again, H:

I'll bet you can sell that worthless piece of crap and buy something more to your liking... 

excon
      July 5, 2022 6:53 PM MDT

But the thing with gravestones, and I am sure you realize this, is that once everyone who knew the deceased also dies, nobody visits the grave anymore and the deceased is forgotten by time. So it kind of doesn't matter what is on the stone.
      July 5, 2022 5:19 PM MDT

Still prefer to be cremated. It's the last chance I'll ever get to have a smoking hot body. Contrariwise, I have a fear of being buried alive.
      July 4, 2022 11:59 PM MDT

I will be dead, so it won't matter to me.
      July 5, 2022 5:16 PM MDT