Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Are you 'green' yet?

Are you 'green' yet?

Posted - October 28, 2022

Responses

Nope! I will always be black.
      October 28, 2022 9:46 AM MDT

Not yet. Only those of us that live in the woods, hunt for our food with homemade weapons, cook it with pieces of trees that have fallen in the woods can actually claim that. Not too many people could succeed in that. Anyone who uses modern conveniences or structures is never truly "green".

Note: There are too many people living on earth for a true green system to actually work. We can only try to do better by recognizing the paper straws in the plastic wrappers. This post was edited by NYAD at November 3, 2022 8:15 PM MDT
      October 28, 2022 10:12 AM MDT

Am I wrong or is that a strange index finger? 

Anyway, depends on what you mean by "green." I sort of do what NYAD describes, aside from hunting (assuming potatoes underground don't count). But my father and I share a car, we use electricity, etc. 

This emphasis on all of us needing to be "green" seems relatively pointless unless we hold accountable those corporations that pollute the most.
      October 28, 2022 2:13 PM MDT

That is not plastic, it's cellophane.  Cellophane is a natural product made from wood and is biodegradable. 
      October 28, 2022 5:18 PM MDT

Very much so - - I really like the album and group.

October 28, 2022 6:25 PM MDT

I don't shave anymore because the amount of yellow and blue plastic razors tossed is a pure drag.
    Logo

Rethink The Massive Impact Of Plastic Razors On The Environment: Alternatives Exist

July 31, 2021

Plastic Razors

A razor is an essential item for the modern man. Though convenient, it is contributing to the mess we have made of our environment. People continue to express their concern for the environment but do not think twice before buying those disposable plastic razors. Most of them are single-use, though manufacturers might claim otherwise.

Plastic Razors

Billions of these plastic razors are destined for landfills, their composition of mixed material making them unsuitable for recycling. Even the best razors are rejected after 3 to 7 uses as they get clogged and don’t give the ‘close shave’ that modern man craves.

Accompanying the razors are the tons of materials used for their packing; that means even more cardboard and plastic in use.

In the 1990s alone, 2B pounds of razors were disposed of by Americans alone. That was a time when a significant number of people still relied on traditional razors where the blades could be replaced. Present-day figures are much more alarming.

BEYONDPLASTIC has reported that around 5,000 billion disposable razor blades are used every year around the world. The situation is much worse now, and plastic razors have become an indispensable part of grooming for both genders.

Plastic Razors Are In No Way Recyclable

The plastic razors are not recyclable because of the materials used in their manufacture. Because of their mixed content, they are destined to be dumped in landfills where they will remain forever.

Also read: Nurdles: The Unknown Toxic Plastic Pollutant That Is Overwhelming Marine Life

Gillette has done its share of tokenism by offering to take back the used ones free of cost. It teamed up with Terracycle, while helps in the recycling of materials and products that are not easily disposed of or decomposed. But the initiative was doomed from the start as a mere 200 centers could not cater to a worldwide shaving community.

And attempts at recycling becomes unfeasible due to the high costs involved. Another razor company, BIC of France tried its hand at a recycling program without much success. The simple mantra is, if you cannot profit from recycling a product, it is considered non-recyclable.

Eco-friendly Alternatives To Plastic Razors

There are sustainable alternatives in the market. While bio-degradable alternatives like bamboo, metal, and brass can help curtail the volume that is dumped in landfills around the world, reusable alternatives remain the best option.

Plastic Razors

The safety razor, the double-edged one, is the best alternative for people intent on moving away from the plastic razor. The double-edged advantage effectively increases the use of the disposable razor used inside. They have been around for decades and the grip is made either from steel or brass.

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at November 3, 2022 7:28 PM MDT
      October 28, 2022 11:48 PM MDT

I use an electric.
      October 29, 2022 2:23 PM MDT

But then I'm thinking: Hey! What do you do with those atrocious and dangerous steel blades even if the handle is wood? It's like ceramic apples and oranges. No good! This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at October 29, 2022 6:44 PM MDT
      October 29, 2022 3:08 PM MDT

Safety razor, that is what I use. They work so much better than a plastic disposable.   And the blades are cheap.  $10 for 100.
      November 1, 2022 4:45 AM MDT

My razor has done me 60 years. I recently bought a pack of 500 blades which will probably outlast me.  This post was edited by Malizz at November 3, 2022 7:28 PM MDT
      November 1, 2022 3:43 PM MDT

You definitely getting your money out of that razor. 
      November 1, 2022 5:26 PM MDT

That's a great idea!

October 29, 2022 1:34 PM MDT

I am now a 'fan'  of yours.
      October 29, 2022 2:24 PM MDT

October 30, 2022 2:39 AM MDT

Doubt I have ever sipped through a straw so that would not be one of the criteria.  Partially green. 
      November 1, 2022 8:12 PM MDT

I can't remember the last time I used a disposable razor. I also stopped using foam many years ago. I now only use soap, which I whip into a lather using a brush. 

On the subject of bathroom products, I experimented with using baking powder to clean my teeth a few nights ago when I had run out of toothpaste. The results were not wholly satisfactory, and left me with a salty taste in my mouth, so I will go back to paste, even if the tubes are non-recyclable.
      November 3, 2022 5:28 PM MDT

Absolutely!

Hey!  Two tickets?  What did I do this time!?  Ugh! 

November 3, 2022 7:31 PM MDT