Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What's an example of it's a small world? If you post that horrifying song, I will hunt you down.

What's an example of it's a small world? If you post that horrifying song, I will hunt you down.

I met a woman in Norfolk who went to grade school with one of my sisters.

Posted - November 11, 2022

Responses

Spoilsport. I was very tempted to post the Muppets singing that.
      November 11, 2022 2:50 PM MST

Trying to kill me?
      November 12, 2022 9:23 AM MST

I was in Germany and ran into a guy I knew from spending time on the river growing up.  We didn't grow up in the same city.    I had not seen him in years, and there he was up at Hitler's Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden. 

My daughter went with her father to Africa when she was about 16.  They were on a tour bus out in the jungle (I guess that's what it's called) in the stopped bus, which was part of a group of buses.  They could stand and look out of the top of the bus.  She was looking out and heard someone yelling her name.  It was a friend from school.  That was fun for them. 

I have a number of these stories. 
      November 12, 2022 2:51 PM MST

Three grade school siblings lived next door. My siblings and I played with them all the time.
    Their family moved away to some other city.
    Then my family moved to another city a couple of years later.

Decades later, one of those sibling-friends ended up moving to the same city to which I had moved. 

Without my not knowing her last name, one of that sibling's daughters was chosen to be in a dance I was choreographing at a dance studio.

So, I ended up choreographing a dance with a childhood next-door neighbor pal's daughter.  :)

November 22, 2022 7:29 AM MST

I’ll bet it was great seeing her again after all those years had gone by!
    ~

November 22, 2022 7:33 AM MST

Actually, I had never known this young dancer at all until I found out her dad was my childhood next-door neighbor.
    Her dad, her dad's brother and her dad's sister were my childhood neighbor friends. I was wondering how well I had written that story up there, ha. It 's hard to tell -- I tell it better 'in-person.'

But, yes -- you're right. And she was great in my dance.
    I'm working with her still, along with one of her much-older siblings  (we're all in a large-cast Nutcracker ballet now; I'm playing a couple of character roles) and it's cool to have the connection with her, her older sibling and her family, like reliving childhood. I feel like a young child again when I'm with them - - well, to be honest, I always still feel like a young child.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 22, 2022 9:22 AM MST
      November 22, 2022 7:46 AM MST

Ok, thank you for the clarification. I mistook it to mean that she was one of the siblings.
    ~

November 22, 2022 9:21 AM MST

You're welcome.  :)

November 23, 2022 6:15 AM MST

So now you're a choreographer. What haven't you done?
      November 22, 2022 8:10 AM MST

Another friend recently said sort of a similar thing to me.
    When I focus on things I've done and do, I could realize I have strengths in a variety of ways.
    Why I sometimes so easily consider myself a loser, I don't know. 
    And I'm a darned nice person, too.
      November 22, 2022 7:35 PM MST

My husband’s stepdad and my uncle both live in Colorado and they both worked at the same place which had 5000 employees.  They were surprised to see each other at my wedding.  
      November 22, 2022 8:09 AM MST

My mother and mother-in-law worked at the same factory. We don't know if they knew each other since they are both dead.
      November 22, 2022 8:12 AM MST

Had they known each other or at least known of each other prior to the wedding?
    ~

November 22, 2022 9:22 AM MST

They‘re both in the same retiree’s group.  They both knew the other was going out-of-town for a wedding.  They just didn’t know they were both going to the same one.
      November 22, 2022 1:24 PM MST

I see. They had each retired from working at the factory when the wedding took place. When I first read your reply, I thought you meant that they both were still working at the factory.
    ~

November 22, 2022 2:47 PM MST

Everybody who worked there is retired now.

This is where my uncle, my mother-in-law and my stepfather-in-law all worked:

This is what it looks like now:

November 22, 2022 3:34 PM MST

The way you wrote the answer made it seem as if it was currently in operation.
    ~
      November 22, 2022 3:55 PM MST

When I was in my mid thirties and 1,700 miles away from my hometown, I met a man who had previously taken  my elder sister on a date when I would have been between 14 to 16 years old. I had never met him before nor did I know anything about him. He and I got to talking about where we were from, then which high school we had attended, and then which street we had lived on. As each answer showed that we were from the same places, he then asked my last name, when I told him, he looked surprised and asked, “Do you know (my sister’s first name)?”
      When I said she is my sister, he said they had gone out back in high school.
      Small world.
      ~

November 22, 2022 9:32 AM MST