Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What you used to do on the internet let say 15-20 years ago ?

What you used to do on the internet let say 15-20 years ago ?

My first days with the internet when i was a kid at middle school, I was doing a lot of flash games and flash movies. Hanging on Newgrounds (dot) com, 

Do you even remember the xiaoxiao movies ? I used to watch that a lot !

Posted - December 23, 2022

Responses

Ah man, same. I remember typically looking for DragonBall drawings. YouTube was mostly about geeking out and watching animal videos. And I loved everything xiaoxiao.
      December 23, 2022 4:43 PM MST

I was 14 years old 15 years ago, so I was on MySpace.  I posted some pictures on Webshots and I had just started to post a few YouTube videos.  I also loved watching Homestar Runner.  Since I was in high school, I also used the internet for doing homework.  I actually got strangers to do my homework for me, lol.
      December 23, 2022 5:28 PM MST

~

December 24, 2022 3:24 AM MST

Hmmm. Did you use Answers.com or Yahoo Answers? I answered hundreds of academic questions on those sites.
      April 22, 2023 4:14 PM MDT

Ebay shopping.
    Ancestry.com
    15 yr ago was roughly when I found Answerbag.
    Before that I was on Hannity.com forums.
      December 23, 2022 6:14 PM MST

I actually went to hannity.com to see if I could go back that far but being the lover of political discussions that I am, /s, my eyes glazed over and I completely lost interest after three scrolls so I gave up, lol.  Your old posts on there are safe from my prying eyes. 
      December 23, 2022 8:01 PM MST

Lol. I do not even think my old posts are still on there.  But most would have been arguing that Mike Huckabee should have been the GOP nominee for 2008. (2007-2008) I think my username was Concrete. 
      December 24, 2022 5:23 PM MST

15 years ago...Answerbag.
      December 23, 2022 7:59 PM MST

In 2002, I don't remember doing much on my home computer. It was one of those "big box" types, not connected to the internet. I remember playing a tetras type game and a game that had a tree with two monkeys. I mostly used my computer at work which was more modern. In order to have a record of anything, I had to print it to bring it home. One of my jobs at the time was publishing a newsletter for our group, a nice creative outlet. I didn't replace my big computer and had internet installed at home until I retired in 2009 This post was edited by NYAD at April 22, 2023 2:33 PM MDT
      December 23, 2022 8:25 PM MST

wow nice, thank you for input
      December 30, 2022 8:20 PM MST

I believe it must have been about 20 years ago when I was absolutely addicted to chatrooms in general, but specifically the ones on msn/messenger.

~

December 24, 2022 3:20 AM MST

msn was so awesome.... i would chat with friends and even do camera chat
      December 30, 2022 8:19 PM MST

Legal research in 2012/2013 for sure.
      December 24, 2022 12:27 PM MST

Wait a second! Was that the infamous case known nationwide as The Cruelly Onerous and Savagely Vindictive Litigious People of the State of Minnesota vs Poor Little Ol’ Innocent Randolph “Ran-Ran” D Randall Case? The plaintiff and her “legal” team used sneaky and unethical courtroom theatre to help them in the jocularity they find in dragging my good name and squeaky-clean reputation through the sewer. Grrrrrrrr.

~

December 24, 2022 5:59 PM MST

December 26, 2022 11:27 AM MST

December 27, 2022 9:56 AM MST

I did a bit of that, too.
      January 1, 2023 10:57 AM MST

Very little.

I remember using "Ask Jeeves" to help kids with homework. I emailed, but it was pretty rare - when a family member would call and tell me they sent me an email. I did some eBay shopping, booked hotel reservations a few times. 
      January 1, 2023 10:50 AM MST

I forgot Google Maps! That's what constituted at least 75% of my internet usage until about 10 years ago. 
      January 1, 2023 11:07 AM MST

Yes, Google maps. Thanks for reminding me. When my mom passed and we were sorting her belongings, I greedily coveted her giant world atlas. I love maps. She passed in 2008 and I got a new computer and the internet in 2009. That atlas has been sitting under a series of laptops ever since. I love Google maps!
      January 1, 2023 1:19 PM MST

Remember MapQuest?

Even when it was at the height of its popularity, I was still stubbornly holding onto my use of folded maps from filling stations and Thomas Brothers’ Guidebook Series. 

“Who thought up this cockamamie fad of elect-tronic maps? I give it six weeks before  they disappear from sight completely we’re back to doing things the right way, the way we’ve always done them! It’s nothing more than a passing fancy, an abysmal flash in the pan, a horrible waste, an abomination to the centuries-old skilled craftsmen painstakingly hand-drawing cartographic charts, and to the later innovation of mass producing them on printing presses! Pffffft! Elect-tronic maps will never last! And tell those whippersnappers to get off of my lawn! Grrrrrrrrrrr.”

~

January 1, 2023 1:54 PM MST

I don't remember using Mapquest, but I may have.. I got the internet in '09 and it wasn't until about 10 years later I threw away my drawer full of folded road maps. I could find anything with those things. But since I no longer drive, it's someone else's problem now. The thing about printed maps, like my mom's giant, glossy page atlas that supports my laptop is that when political borders change, those paper maps don't. My mom's book still has a country called Czechoslovakia.
      January 1, 2023 5:45 PM MST

Yes, of course! I probably should have said Mapquest rather than Google Maps. I didn't even have a smartphone until 2012 or so.  

A few years ago, before taking a trip, I actually printed off some directions like that, as I knew I'd be without phone service in a variety of places on the trip. They didn't help me when I got semi-lost on a trail in a remote natural area. Thankfully, I was able to find my way out of the forest before it got dark. 
      January 1, 2023 6:16 PM MST

15-20 ya.... I've an idea that may have been before I started using the Internet!

I was used to using computers at work, having been introduced to them there around the time that Microsoft MS-DOS was changing to WIN-3.1. I'd also bought my own first PC, an Amstrad PCW9512, in about 1990.

Yet although my works use included the company Intranet I was wary of putting my much later, home "confuser" on-line for quite some years.

My first use at home? Using Google Maps' photographs to determine the location hence National Grid Reference of a particular, small, local geological feature.

I have a discreet sat-nav instrument, a TomTom, in my car but don't own a "smart"-'phone so can't use the Internet for navigation or any other purpose away from home. I use a printed road-atlas to plan long journeys to unfamiliar places, with the "sat-nag"* to home in on the destination. If walking in unfamiliar countryside I would use an Ordnance Survey map - which unlike a simple digital display shows you the terrain and obstacles between you and your destination!

I also have proper world atlases, and these and the road atlas can be very useful for comprehending better, radio news reports and documentaries with geographical sides to them.

When the war in Ukraine started, I had an atlas open at the Eastern European page for weeks so I could see what was happening where, at a glance. By combining atlas and Google, I knew Crimea is linked to Russian land by road and rail bridges, weeks before this was ever reported in the News.

Similarly, I assess major earthquakes by atlas maps that give ocean-floor as well as terrestrial topography: satellites cannot photograph the deep sea-bed. 

On the other hand I have sometimes gone on long Google Earth "flights", learning all sorts of things about spots like Novaya Zemlya and the compact but equally remote area holding the borders of Tibet, Afghanistan and two or three other nations. The latter to try to make sense of reports that Beijing was making friendly noises to the Taliban - but I could not identify the purpose of a set of modern buildings on the Tibetan side of the Afghan border. 

'

* Don't blame me - it's a friend who coined "sat-nag" for the thing! This post was edited by Durdle at April 22, 2023 2:32 PM MDT
      January 31, 2023 3:35 PM MST