Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are the Trump's getting into the bible selling buisenness?

Are the Trump's getting into the bible selling buisenness?

Donald Trump Jr. posted a video of himself hawking a "We The People" Bible on social media that he claims promotes "Judeo-Christian Values." The irony of a member of the Trump family trying to talk about values is certainly off the charts but there is nothing that this family won't do to earn a quick buck. Cheers!

Posted - January 6, 2023

Responses

Nothing wrong with selling a Bible or doing a commercial for a company who is selling Bibles. 
    This is leather Bible, KJV, red letter Bible. 
    It also has a copy of United States Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Pledge of Allegiance. 

January 6, 2023 9:13 AM MST

Oh the irony.

I am not bothered which celebrity or ex-politician is advertising it. If I were a practicing Christian, possibly even if a Jew or Muslim, I would regard that as at least foolish, if not offensive or even blasphemous.

The Bible's aim is to promulgate a message above and beyond shallow politicians, politics and nations; and for any nation to use it to claim itself as some sort of God's Chosen Own above all others.....

Any but especially nations founded by English, Dutch, French, Spanish, etc. colonists escaping monarchies and religious divisions at home, or just looking for plunder; then who worked hard to oppress both continents' original inhabitants, cultures and religions. While blaming poor old God for their actions.

Isn't overweening pride a sin or something?

Render unto Caesar, etc. I can't quote it verbatim but it's a well-known point.
      January 6, 2023 11:20 AM MST

A puppy dies every time you try to pluralize a word with an apostrophe.

January 6, 2023 11:32 AM MST

Re-written because you had me worried I had made the mistake, and had replied as such! This post was edited by Durdle at January 6, 2023 3:09 PM MST
      January 6, 2023 11:41 AM MST

You know, you can delete if you want to.  The infraction was perpetrated by the OP.
      January 6, 2023 11:51 AM MST

No it doesn't. But maybe democracy dies a little every time a Trump opens up their mouth.
      January 6, 2023 11:50 AM MST

Glad we do not have one. 
      January 6, 2023 12:03 PM MST

No you still have a democracy. The word democracy comes from the Greek words "demos" meaning people, and "kratos" meaning power So democracy can be thought of as "power of the people" a way of governing which depends on the will of the people. On January 6th 2020 Donald Trump tried to take the will of the people away from them by declaring that the vote wasn't valid. If he had been successful you would of had a dictatorship. Cheers and happy weekend!
      January 6, 2023 12:59 PM MST

No, USA Is not now nor has it ever been a democracy.  

USA is a Constitutional Republic.  (We have a Constitution that protects the minority and a representative government)
    Democracy is simply majority rule. (Mob rule)
      January 6, 2023 3:18 PM MST

I'd get a kick out of it if somehow, in their ads, they include Donald's self-proclaimed favorite book of the Bible :

"Two Corinthians"

:)
      January 6, 2023 3:08 PM MST

Like the date being 7 January?  I never heard him say that but I have heard similar from others, like 1, 2, and 3 John.   I kind of like "Two Corinthians" as well, but my favorite books are those considered the Wisdom Literature. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 7, 2023 6:53 PM MST
      January 7, 2023 2:50 PM MST

I guess that I meant that I've personally never head anyone who knows the Bible and calls it his or her favorite book to then call that chapter by the words, "Two Corinthians."  (And, no surprise from some of my posts, I have trouble with Mr. Trump in many areas. )
    I don't recall hearing others call the John books that, either, I guess. But I admit I'm not a Bible expert. In fact, I had to I look up "Wisdom Literature. " I guess I've not recalled them called that, cool. The Psalms continue to enrich me.

My favorite verses lately include the first part of Psalm 42:10    Be still and know that I  am God.
    and Isaiah 41:10 : Do not fear, for I am with you.
    Be not dismayed for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Thanks for replying to my answer.  :)

And "Beach Music" would be up there with Wisdom Literature to me.  ;)    That book still stays with me.

January 7, 2023 6:53 PM MST

I took a a number of Bible courses in undergrad.  One of them was Wisdom Literature.  Really good stuff.  :)

The verses you mention were included in a message from a friend on Facebook.  I find both of them comforting while our country is in turmoil.  And there is also John's shared wisdom from Mother Mary, Let it Be. 
      January 8, 2023 9:55 AM MST

All-around Very Cool. :)
    And thanks for sharing.
      January 8, 2023 5:50 PM MST

I doubt they can afford to - some people might actually read it and call them out for their hypocrisy.

Incidentally, the KJV is arguably the worst translation still in print. The scholars brought their 17th century prejudices to the task of translation (the word "arsenokoites", translated as "sodomite" in the KJV, is better translated "paedophile" and this why why historical and cultural exegesis is vital - it changes the tone of 1 Corinthians entirely) and they didn't have access to the best source material, which was in the Ottoman Empire-controlled Middle East. They weren't feeling particularly charitable towards infidels after repulsing half a dozen Crusades.
      January 8, 2023 2:44 PM MST

This piqued my interest so I checked out the website.  The one I get looks almost like my2cents’s screenshot, but mine has the red banner on top.

Something about it feels weird to me, but I’m having a hard time putting it into words so I really can’t come up with a good answer, sorry.

January 8, 2023 9:31 PM MST