Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Has this been happening to you with Billy Joel's "Piano Man"?

Has this been happening to you with Billy Joel's "Piano Man"?

For the past year or so, any time I hear the song on any radio station, the following lyrics are left out and they skip directly to "the waitress is practicing politics."

He says, "Bill, I believe this is killing me"
As the smile ran away from his face
"Well I'm sure that I could be a movie star
If I could get out of this place"
Oh, la la la, di da da
La la, di da da da dum

Now Paul is a real estate novelist
Who never had time for a wife
And he's talkin' with Davy, who's still in the Navy
And probably will be for life

Uh, no thanks.

That song is my favorite, favorite, favorite Joel song. I want to hear the entire song.
I get pissed off every time.

While we're at it, let's all watch Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" without the shower scene. It's all good.

Posted - February 20, 2023

Responses

That's interesting, too! I'm glad I've not experienced what you shared.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 28, 2023 5:44 PM MST
      February 21, 2023 6:22 AM MST

I've never noticed because I rarely listen to music on the radio. I just say, "Hey Siri, play Billy Joel," and trusty Apple Music plays the full song long and proud. Those are some of my favorite lyrics.

Maybe you should try streaming instead of the radio. I think it's easier and higher quality.
      February 20, 2023 11:14 PM MST

Yeah, I've thought of your suggestion a lot. Makes sense.
    What may not make sense (you know me - - consider the source, ha!) is that I really like the "randomness" of songs played on radio stations. So very often, by chance, a certain song comes on right when I enjoy it the most and it was/is by chance. Perhaps a favorite song of mine or I hear a new song that becomes a favorite.  :)
    I really like that aspect. But maybe streaming has a random aspect to it, too.

I'm pretty old school quite a bit in most things. I still prefer to hold onto CD/DVDs/albums.  :)  "Real' books, too.

I went on and on there, woops.

But, yeah -- you make a good point again for me about streaming. (no commercials, too -- - 'do not take if you're allergic to . . . tell your doctor if you're pregnant before you find out if you're allergic. Side effects include death. . .  blablahblah' ha.  
    Hey, maybe that's why song lyrics are removed- - to leave more time for the four minute prescription medication ads.

Hey, out of here for now.
      February 21, 2023 6:38 AM MST

I also prefer the randomness of the radio. 

I miss the old stations thar really did play a variety.  They would play a rock then a country, then pop etc.
    I also do not like to stream TV. It takes me forever to choose what to watch. 
      February 21, 2023 7:28 AM MST

You could always do what i did - a fair bit of work initially but worth it to me. Build digital playlists (FLAC is the best option, mp3 is too "lossy"), then get your playback device to "shuffle" them. I've got three lists of 500 songs each, every now and again I switch stacks. You get the randomness of radio, the versions you prefer, don't have to sit through DJ drivel or songs you genuinely dislike, and the biggest bonus of all - NO ADS. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 28, 2023 5:44 PM MST
      February 21, 2023 7:30 AM MST

If you want random, just tell Siri to play a particular artist (like play Billy Joel) and you will get a random sequence of his songs. There is no logical reason anymore to have standalone media like CDs cluttering your home. Any and all music you have in that form can be streamed in higher quality on a $100 device like Apple’s Home Pod Mini, or even just on your phone or laptop. Siri never says no!
      February 21, 2023 9:09 AM MST

You wrote in part: “There is no logical reason anymore to have standalone media like CDs cluttering your home.

I disagree emphatically. If you have decided for yourself that it’s true in your case, you’re absolutely entitled to that point of view. Not everyone does things for the same reasons that you do, and not all opinions apply evenly across the board for all people.

February 21, 2023 9:33 PM MST

Are you attempting to tell me or teach me something I don’t know? Why don’t you save your breath instead of mounting some imaginary high horse?

Is it not obvious that my posts comprise my opinions? Same as anyone else, to be taken at face value.

Why do you feel the need to take me to task for this?
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at February 26, 2023 5:12 PM MST
      February 22, 2023 4:27 AM MST

No, YOU are the one attempting tell others or to teach others that your way is the only correct way when you use the wording that I quoted:

“There is no logical reason anymore to have standalone media like CDs cluttering your home.”

The first five words of that sentence do not give any indication whatsoever that even you think it is only your opinion.  It is a completely straightforward and direct declaration from you, it offers no wiggle room, it’s as if you are stating a fact, an indisputable fact at that. When you referred to logic as the basis, and within the context of how you used it, it’s akin to saying , “common sense tells you to do it this way”. You did not write, “For me, . . .” or “In my case, . . .” or “Based on what works for me, . . .” Instead, you preached from Stu Heaven, as you often do, that he does something that’s useless and unnecessary, and that the Stu Method is much, much better merely because Stu likes it, and everyone else should follow suit. 

I believe that you and I know enough about writing to understand that having a second set of eyes read your work can bring up angles or subtleties or nuances that the author may not have intended or may not have seen. You may or may not reread the sentence in question and see it in a different light now that it’s been pointed out to you that it reads differently than your “claimed” standpoint of being your opinion and only your opinion. Stubbornness and ego might prompt a lesser man to dig his heels in and choose to die on this hill, that’s your decision. You screwed up on this one, Stu, I’m the messenger, that’s all. Time to man up and accept that you might have meant it one way, but it came out another way.

I “took you to task”, as you put it, for two reasons: first, admonishing others for not doing things your way is a tried and true tactic of yours (as in people posting questions that you find irrelevant), and second, there was no way of knowing that this instance was any different than the myriad of other instances in which you have done it. 

February 22, 2023 7:08 AM MST

There is no logical reason IN MY OPINION. Obviously it’s my opinion, so that part should go without saying.

All the rest of your diatribe is you putting thoughts in my head that aren’t there and making baseless assumptions about my motivation based on your interpretation and views.

Again, get down from the high horse and save your breath.
      February 22, 2023 7:46 AM MST

Again, get down from the high horse and save your breath.  I knew you wouldn’t man up. 

And they’re not assumptions at all. 

February 22, 2023 8:41 AM MST

Man up to what after being broadsided at length? Having strong opinions? What exactly are you trying to prove here?
      February 22, 2023 10:10 AM MST

Pot/kettle,  Stu. https://answermug.com/forums/topic/136462/based-on-your-travels-what-is-the-one-region-or-country-you-thi/view/pag

This post was edited by Jane S at February 26, 2023 5:12 PM MST
      February 22, 2023 9:26 AM MST

I gave my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. What were you looking for?
      February 22, 2023 9:47 AM MST

Another great topic with many enjoyable posts!
      February 22, 2023 10:33 AM MST

I still have numerous CDs. No clutter at all.
      February 23, 2023 8:58 AM MST

Well, like I said up there, "consider the source" --  I still like the "touch" aspect of things maybe.  :)
      February 28, 2023 5:46 PM MST

Hi again, I'm adding more.   :)
    Yeah, I get your point. I've spent a lot of my life not being 'with' a lot of society, as far as what's "in" and logical.
    But, I don't know what it is, I like the experience of sitting and holding albums/CDs/DVDVs/whatever and looking and reading. And listening.  :)
      March 2, 2023 4:49 PM MST

Welby turn on me because of my stupidity? Correct Welby? I didnt mean it and somebody else erase all the TD's I sent you.
    I am sorry and I hope we are alright. Are we Welby? Oh I feel this could be bad!
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at March 2, 2023 7:36 PM MST
      February 28, 2023 5:38 PM MST

Hi Cosmic! I have no idea what you're referring to? I haven't been on the site for a good while.

I don't find you stupid at all. For sure, we are okay. :)
    I don't know what a TD is as far as your sending them to me and someone erasing  them.

Anyway, no worries at all -- we are very good!  :)  :)

I smile every time I see you -- I admit I think about that Amazing She Monster a lot -- wow, did she freak me out in the best of ways! Ha! I'm so happy you encouraged me to watch it. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 1, 2023 12:18 AM MST
      February 28, 2023 5:53 PM MST

I like most of Billy's material - and it's terrific for karaoke, we're both baritones. I always sing Just the Way You Are to my better half on our anniversary, before we do "our song" together - John Farnham's Two Strong Hearts.
    My personal Billy Joel faves are Goodnight Saigon, It's Still Rock 'n' Roll To Me and A Matter of Trust. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 28, 2023 5:54 PM MST
      February 21, 2023 7:38 AM MST

Great song. My wife and I danced to Just the Way You Are at our wedding.
      February 21, 2023 9:04 AM MST

I'm realizing I don't know a lot of Joel's work.  :)
      February 28, 2023 5:55 PM MST

I've never really thought of BJ as one of my favorite artists, but reading the responses hear here, I'm realizing that I do really enjoy many of his songs. They hold a lot of very specific childhood/teenaged memories for me, from the 'Bosom Buddies' theme song (My Life), to a "Jazzercise" type of exercise class my sister and I did with my mom at church when I was under 7 ("Just the Way You Are" was a 'cool down' number). I remember some of the specific moves from that number! 
     I was gifted the album that contains "Still Rock and Roll to Me" at what was probably my 9th or 10th birthday party, because I was obsessed with that song at the time and my best friend was awesome. Another good one is recalling my mom uncomfortably trying to explain the lyrics to 'Only the Good Die Young' when I asked "What do Catholic girls start much too late, Mommy?". 
    One junior high school summer night, I tried to get a friend and my sister to perfor/ harmonize on "Longest Time" - neither of them had any musical ability, so that was a massive bust. I swear, they couldn't even snap their fingers in tempo! :)

I could literally go on and on, with the specific memories. 

Some of my favorites are Matter of Trust, She's Always a Woman, Pressure, Allentown, This is the Time. 

Thanks so much for this post, friend! 

This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at February 28, 2023 5:56 PM MST
      February 21, 2023 6:46 PM MST

One of many of my Billy Joel favorites, “Sometimes A Fantasy”, comes from his Glass Houses album (1980) and seems unknown to many people, probably due to receiving little airplay or widespread recognition. I heard it played sporadically on my hometown radio station(s) for a few weeks when it was first released, but apparently it wasn’t getting much traction everywhere else. From the first time I heard I love its catchy sound and clever lyrics, which themselves reminded me of “Imaginary Lover” by Atlanta Rhythm Section (1978).

LYRICS: 

I didn't want to do it, but i got too lonely

I had to call you up in the middle of the night

I know it's awful hard to try to make love long distance

But I really needed stimulation

Though it was only my imagination

It's just a fantasy

It's not the real thing

It's just a fantasy

It's not the real thing

But sometimes a fantasy

Is all you need

When am I going to take control, get a hold of my emotions?

Why does it only seem to hit me in the middle of the night?

You told me there's a number I can always dial for assistance

I don't want to deal with outside action

Only you can give me satisfaction

It's just a fantasy

It's not the real thing

It's just a fantasy

It's not the real thing

But sometimes a fantasy

Is all you need

Sure, it would be better if I had you here to hold me

Be better, baby, but believe me, it's the next best thing

I'm sure there's many times you've wanted me to hear your secrets