Discussion » Questions » Legal » Minnesota just made it legal for bicyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield sign. Do you think this is a good idea where you live?

Minnesota just made it legal for bicyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield sign. Do you think this is a good idea where you live?

Posted - June 1, 2023

Responses

No I think it is a dangerous idea. Cheers!
      June 1, 2023 11:35 AM MDT

I keep reading about why so many states are adopting this law. The claim is that bike accidents go down when cyclists can use their own judgment about when it's safe to cross. It's hard for me to understand how it works.
      June 1, 2023 6:32 PM MDT

I live in an outer borough of NYC that is fast becoming over-populated.  You can put up as many signs as you want, people in my neck of the woods treat them as suggestions.  The number of delivery persons on e-bikes and regular bike riders has ballooned out of control.  Not only do they not obey the traffic signs, they ride on the sidewalks, don't stop for red lights and ride on the wrong side of the road.  It amazes me that there haven't been more accidents and deaths than there are.
      June 1, 2023 11:54 AM MDT

Same here.
      June 1, 2023 6:33 PM MDT

I think it unwise.

Seems to me, if it's okay for bicyclists, then it could be okay for every vehicle.
      June 1, 2023 12:52 PM MDT

Seems that way to me too, but it's supposed to be safer. I'm not convinced. 
      June 1, 2023 6:35 PM MDT

I'm not convinced, either.
      June 2, 2023 7:13 PM MDT

I don’t ride a bicycle and rarely drive, so I have no opinion.
      June 1, 2023 12:54 PM MDT

If I were on a bicycle at a four-way stop five or six cars deep in every direction, I would certainly want to go right on around the corner if there was a bike lane.  If no bike lane, there should be no difference for cars vs bikers.  Deviating from the somewhat universal rule that bikers must observe the same rules and laws as cars is a dangerous thing. 
      June 1, 2023 2:28 PM MDT

Several states have passed this law and some states allow it at red lights as well as stop signs. I agree with you. 
      June 1, 2023 6:38 PM MDT

To me if riding on the street, you should have to follow all traffic rules as the other vehicles on the road with you.
      June 1, 2023 5:37 PM MDT

Did someone say Minnesota? Like Pavlov’s dogs, it triggers an involuntary response in me to book yet another flight to Minneapolis and carry on my er, um, “research” there. Thanks for giving me an excuse! 

Oh, by the way on the bicyclist law issue, had I not read about it here based on your post, I would have been completely unaware that it exists, as I am sure many other drivers must be unaware. Not having ridden a bicycle at all in over two decades now, I am detached from much that there is going on about them. I see dangers in regard to bicyclists making moves in traffic that catch drivers by surprise, especially since there’s an inherent sense of owning the road when many people get behind a steering wheel. 

California being the epitome of ingrained car culture, I don’t know if this is one of the states you mentioned as having adopted a law such as this one, but I agree with you and others that it doesn’t seem to be a well planned change. 

(This concludes my take on the bike law. My “research” in Minneapolis takes on a much different tact, as well you must know. See you in a few days.)

~

June 3, 2023 7:29 AM MDT

I believe they are trying to reduce bicyclists.
      June 8, 2023 9:47 AM MDT