Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Would you support eliminating the right turn on red to enhance traffic safety?

Would you support eliminating the right turn on red to enhance traffic safety?

Posted - June 16, 2023

Responses

I have a different take on it, road ragers trapped inside of cars that can only follow all of the driving regulations and they can’t do anything about it.  It’ll be a torture chamber on wheels for them!

This post was edited by Livvie at June 27, 2023 3:29 PM MDT
      June 17, 2023 10:46 AM MDT

Excellent point!
      June 17, 2023 1:12 PM MDT

Until they get old and do not function corrrctly. Then we have wrecks, traffic etc.  We will still required to have insurance. Why would there not be new roads?
      June 17, 2023 5:30 PM MDT

Hello my:

Picture how much space is wasted because cars can't get close to one another..  You won't need insurance because most cars won't be owned, anyway..  People will Uber.   Picture them NEVER running into each other.

excon
      June 17, 2023 6:49 PM MDT

My scenario for self-driving cars that I support is I own the self-driving car, I get into it when I want and I tell it where to go when I want to go and it does all the driving.

Your scenario where most cars aren’t owned and everybody takes an Uber, no thanks.
      June 17, 2023 7:16 PM MDT

Hello again, L:

Consider that you hail an Uber with your phone.  Since it's already on your block, it'll be in front of your house when you get to the street.  And you tell it where you want to go. 

Other than a familiar smell, why would you even want the hassle of owning your own car?

excon This post was edited by excon at June 20, 2023 3:47 PM MDT
      June 18, 2023 8:42 AM MDT

If you can own nothing and be happy, good for you.  Knock yourself out.  The hassle of owning my own vehicles is a small price to pay for being able to go where I need to go or want to go on my own schedule.
      June 18, 2023 9:14 AM MDT

I agree.  I love the convenience and the fact that no one else rides in the car but me (most of the time).
      June 18, 2023 9:18 AM MDT

Hello Livvie:

I didn't say I'd be happy about it..  I said it's happening whether you or I like it or not.

excon This post was edited by excon at June 18, 2023 11:29 AM MDT
      June 18, 2023 11:28 AM MDT

Sure. Because all our electronics never have any glitches etc. 

No thanks.
      June 18, 2023 7:12 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

The technology isn't there yet, and you pose real issues..  However, I have faith in the future. 

Look..  You keep your money in a bank, no?  You use electronic banking, don't you?  Apparently you TRUST some forms of technology, and you'll learn to trust your self driving car/Uber.  Think of it..  Having cocktails with your friends WHILE you're driving..

excon
    This post was edited by excon at June 18, 2023 9:41 AM MDT
      June 18, 2023 8:53 AM MDT

Yes. But the failure of a bank transfer will not cause a physical injury to me or others. Or a debit card not reading is a pain but not the same as a car wreck etc.
      June 18, 2023 3:29 PM MDT

I'm on your side, no self driving car for me. I need an older model that has clearly labeled knobs and buttons that tell you what they're for.

Your comment made me think of my brother who lives in Ohio. Since he retired, he's been acting as a "taxi" for the local Amish population. When the towns and cities are filled with self driving cars, maybe we can convince the Amish to start their own horse and buggy "taxi" service.
      June 17, 2023 12:56 PM MDT

Over the past few decades, it has occurred to me that everyone should bone up on the driving manual for their state (or any other state they drive frequently). Since I have not been driving for the past five years, I would not get behind the wheel again without doing so myself. How many drivers have not seen a manual since high school? This post was edited by NYAD at June 17, 2023 4:57 PM MDT
      June 17, 2023 12:44 PM MDT

My guess is all of them.
      June 17, 2023 1:13 PM MDT

I have! I didn’t learn to drive until the summer after my freshman year in college, and I got my license the summer after my sophomore year, when I was 20.
      June 17, 2023 11:59 PM MDT

I never had a manual.  I didn't learn how to drive until I was 40.  One day, while on vacation when it was a rainy day, I decided to go to the DMV and take the driver's test.  After riding in cars for 40 years, I figured I could probably pass - and I did.  Got my learner's permit, called a driving school and was on my way to being a driver  Passed my road test on the first try, bought a used car and off I went. This post was edited by Spunky at June 18, 2023 1:03 PM MDT
      June 18, 2023 9:14 AM MDT

That is an unusual story. No wonder you go by Spunky!! I had to give up driving due to my eyesight failing. I did have my lenses replaced in 2020 but a number of other issues have come up in the meantime, including the replacement cost of a car. 
      June 18, 2023 11:51 AM MDT

I am very fortunate that I can still drive at age 77.  More fortunate that I can do 90 on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  I do wear glasses for distance and reading, but I find driving at night difficult with the glare of oncoming headlights.  
      June 18, 2023 1:05 PM MDT

Uh oh! I'm staying off the PA turnpike!

When I was about 12 y.o., I had to get my first pair of glasses. I was near sighted. Jump ahead 64 years and after the lens replacement I am now far sighted. It can be confusing sometimes.
      June 18, 2023 5:17 PM MDT

LOL ... that's the only place where there's rarely any congestion and I've never seen a State Trooper in all the times I've drive down there.  There are times when I could conceivably do that on the NJ Turnpike, but there are always Troopers and they enforce the speed limit more.
      June 19, 2023 7:15 AM MDT

This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing! Looking at the statistics (traffic-related deaths per 100,000 inhabitants), the U.S. may want to follow some other countries' example... 

I'm trying to think of the last time you did that 
      June 17, 2023 5:03 PM MDT

It was implemented during a gas shortage with the idea that it would eliminate idling. Now it's being re-looked at as a safety hazard. If jurisdictions eliminate it, I imagine it will cause mass confusion. 
      June 18, 2023 11:41 AM MDT

Yes.  I do think it helps keep traffic moving along but people simply refuse to come to a complete stop and proceeding only when safe.  People treat red lights as nonexistent for right turns.  I seriously don't know why cops don't just sit downtown all day giving red light tickets.  That's easy money.  And this seems to be the infraction most reported via camera. 
      June 19, 2023 10:07 AM MDT

The so-called red light cameras were being used in Southern California up until about a decade ago. Their use was challenged in civil court by a lawsuit that claimed they were mostly a revenue-creating practice as opposed to mainly being a public safety venture, and because there was no way for motorists to “face their accusers” in a court of law. Receiving a photo-citation and a demand for payment in the mail was also seen as an invasion of privacy by the backers of the lawsuit. Both the local government and the manufacturer of the cameras/accompanying technology we benefitting greatly from the high fees, and the manufacturer was exempt from liability or redress. 

The legal fight went back and forth for a while, but the final outcome was that all of the cameras were ordered to be taken down, and if I remember correctly, many people who had paid the fines received reimbursements. 

Part of the irony here is that the government presented evidence that the camera system was effective in catching a high percentage of people who ignored red lights, however, the plaintiffs presented evidence that the actual numbers of accidents, injuries, and deaths at red lights were not lowered very much in comparison to the numbers of citations. That’s how and why claim of a “money grab” was successful in the lawsuit.
    ~

June 19, 2023 12:04 PM MDT