Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Is having a cat worth it?

Is having a cat worth it?

Posted - November 8, 2023

• 33152
    If they can go outdoors to use the bathroom, yes. 
      November 9, 2023 3:08 AM MST
    5

• 10238
    That's how I feel about having a husband.
      November 9, 2023 10:05 AM MST
    6

• 33152
    This why we have trees, right? Lol This post was edited by my2cents at November 10, 2023 8:46 AM MST
      November 9, 2023 1:46 PM MST
    5

• 23212
    :)
      November 9, 2023 7:08 PM MST
    5

• 23212
    :)
      November 9, 2023 7:08 PM MST
    6

• 53078

Hey, wait a second . . .

:(

November 9, 2023 8:12 PM MST
    5

• 3077
    I'm not a cat person, so that isn't something I can speak to.  If I chose to have a pet, it would be a dog and, to me, that is definitely worth it.
      November 9, 2023 6:45 AM MST
    6

• 10689

Our cat probably saves me millions of dollars a year on sleeping pills - so I figure she is worth ever penny of the cost to keep her. At night she sleeps between my ankles and the sound and vibration of her purring puts me to sleep. Cheers!

November 9, 2023 8:08 AM MST
    5

• 10238
    There's one for the plus column. 
      November 9, 2023 10:06 AM MST
    5

• 44393
    She is tolerable.  She doesn't do much, so she isn't good for anything.
      November 9, 2023 10:06 AM MST
    6

• 1451
    I didn't ask for any of my three cats, but they would've been worth asking for. Between them and the dog, I'm always entertained. They even hunt small snakes.
      November 9, 2023 2:11 PM MST
    6

• 23212

I'm a cat man all the way.

Each cat I've had has bettered my life in so many ways.  In ways I may not even be aware. With no human partner, the cats with which I've been blessed have given me laughs, comforts and simply presence.

Two weeks ago I had to have my cat put down. I held her in my arms during the passing process.
    I'm still mourning and missing her each day since.
      November 9, 2023 7:08 PM MST
    8

• 10238
    Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry for your loss. 
      November 9, 2023 7:22 PM MST
    7

• 23212
    You're welcome. And thank you for your kindness here.
      November 11, 2023 1:11 PM MST
    5

• 1451
    Oh no - Karen? I'm sorry, Welby.
      November 10, 2023 11:21 AM MST
    6

• 23212
    Yes, Karen.      
    Thanks, Danilo. I miss her so much.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 16, 2024 8:03 AM MDT
      November 11, 2023 1:12 PM MST
    5

• 33152
    That is one of the hardest things to do. So sorry for that.
      November 10, 2023 4:07 PM MST
    5

• 23212
    Yes, it was very difficult for me. Thanks for sharing here.
      November 11, 2023 1:14 PM MST
    5

• 7782
    My old black a** has had cats my whole life and I've never questioned myself about them being worth it. To me, they are sort of a set-and-forget type of thing. Cats still do need attention and are fun to pet and play with. I love dogs too, but I don't have it in me to walk a dog multiple times a day.
      November 9, 2023 8:26 PM MST
    7

• 13269
    Depends how much you like pussy.

In the Caribbean, it’s singular or plural mon.

November 9, 2023 8:32 PM MST
    3
  • .

7649
    I've always been a dog person but now have three cats with interesting backstories.  

They are very different in temperament, I think it's worth it, I love all animals and now I love cats as well.  The oldest is the talker, a male and the alpha of the three.  I was sitting on my front steps one day and he came up and sat next to me and began talking. Happened to have my phone and was lucky enough to capture the entire conversation on video. He must have talked for two minutes, I guess telling me all about his feral life.  The dogs across the street began barking and he had a lot to say about that, I fell in love with him at that moment.  The next day he came back and did the same thing but a shorter stay.  I fed him and he was mine. He is older now and has slowed down a lot.  

The next female I captured as part of a trap and release program.  The vet fixed her and told me she had just given birth.  She was back on the street the next morning and found her kittens.  The neighbors said she gave birth every year in a run down shed.  Feeding her every day insured she stayed around.  Eventually I found her kittens, when they were ready, placed them in an adoption center.  She is my stalker always wanting to be held and petted, follows me everywhere, doesn't have any interest in leaving the house.

The final female was born at a nearby racetrack. She would rather be outside, will go on long walks with me on a nearby trail and will stay fairly close, is the baby of the family (2 years old).  Has a sweet personality, I trained her to stay in our immediate area and check on her several times a day. She knows I just want to know where she is at and will pop her head out of the bushes when I call her then goes back to doing what she loves best, exploring in the tall grass and bushes. 

The Talker and the stalker are jealous of each other, if I give one lovies the other has to have lovies as well.  They both vie for the closest position to me in the bed at night and they run off the other female, po baby :  ( . Love them all, do wish I had a dog as well.  
    This post was edited by . at November 15, 2023 8:11 PM MST
      November 11, 2023 7:25 PM MST
    2