Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » What is an intentionally sad song that makes you feel good, and an intentionally upbeat song that makes you feel sad?

What is an intentionally sad song that makes you feel good, and an intentionally upbeat song that makes you feel sad?

~

Posted - February 6

Responses

I admit that the first music piece to come to my mind is not a single song but a symphony -  with a soprano singer and orchestra:

"Symphony No. 3" (Op. 36) by Henryk Gorecki    subtitled 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs'

Gorecki, a citizen of Poland, composed the symphony in honor and memory of when Poland was occupied by Nazi Germany. The lyrics to the symphony are taken from the walls of Polish concentration camps; words prisoners had written on the walls.

I knew nothing of this when I first heard the symphony.

I simply had this performance here on CD and sat and listened.

And I literally cried through most of the symphony. I sat and listened to it in its entirety
    No symphony in my life has affected me like this symphony and this particular performance.

It's all so beautiful in its sadness that it takes me to a place of beautiful happiness and hope.

Soprano Dawn Upshaw, London Sinfonietta and conductor David Zinman are flawless to me here. I listen as I type now and I'm getting chills.

I hope someone out there has about 54 minutes to listen. It starts very quietly in the lower strings; so low that you possibly may think nothing is playing. But it is. Keep listening. 

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 8, 2024 11:04 AM MST
      February 6, 2024 5:35 PM MST

Magnificent answer, Welby!
      February 8, 2024 11:09 AM MST

Thank you very much, Danilo_G.  :)

I listened to the entire symphony last night.
      February 9, 2024 3:08 PM MST

This one cuts both ways...

February 6, 2024 9:33 PM MST

"Flowers" makes me feel sad for the writer of the song because it is so one sided.

This post was edited by . at February 8, 2024 11:04 AM MST
      February 7, 2024 5:32 PM MST

Ill say Ice Cream Man by Van Halen.
      February 7, 2024 5:44 PM MST