Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Military » Do you know the English translation of the words “Iwo Jima”?

Do you know the English translation of the words “Iwo Jima”?

This day in history commemorates the 79th anniversary of the opening of the battle of Iwo Jima. As a veteran of the United States Marine Corps, I present the following to you:

On this day in 1945, the 5th Amphibious Corps, which to date is still the largest combat landing in the history of the US Marines, launched the historic attack on the imperial Japanese Forces that defended the island. In anticipation of what would be necessary to prevail, the size of the entire US Marine Corps was increased in the months leading up to the epic battle.

It also marked the first time during World War II that Allied combatants landed on sovereign Japanese soil. All of the previous such amphibious landings in the Pacific region, the so-called ”Island-Hopping Campaign” in that war, had taken place where the Japanese had invaded, captured, and occupied territories as opposed to being places that had already belonged to Japan. 

The battle of Iwo Jima is also where one of the most famous pictures of World War II was taken:

Iwo = Sulphur   
  Jima = Island 
 ~

Posted - February 19

Responses

I think it means "island".
      February 19, 2024 10:01 AM MST

One half of it means island, the other half names which one it is.
      ~

February 19, 2024 12:18 PM MST

I didn't know; thank you. Almost eighty years... We've made some progress, at least.
      February 19, 2024 12:31 PM MST

Did you know that photo was staged?
      February 19, 2024 1:41 PM MST

I did. :)  
      February 19, 2024 6:46 PM MST

Believe me, I know the entire story of the original photo and the final photo. I love knowing about history and all of its twists and turns.
      ~

February 19, 2024 9:34 PM MST

I've always been drawn to the photo. Though I wish the circumstances weren't needed for such things to happen with humanity. It's a great photo to me.
    I admit I can't remember all the details on the photo/s, I just remember reading about them. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 21, 2024 5:16 AM MST
      February 20, 2024 7:04 AM MST

Indeed...I am a WWII history fan. My father was hit in Sicily.
      February 20, 2024 12:19 PM MST