Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What are some bonuses to Trump’s felony conviction?

What are some bonuses to Trump’s felony conviction?

A Canadian immigration lawyer says now that Donald Trump is a convicted felon, he is technically barred from crossing the border into Canada. Mario Bellissimo says that makes him "criminally inadmissible, and he can't apply to change that until five years after he serves his sentence. However, if Trump is elected United States president in the meantime, exemptions could be made. But he would have to show the Immigration Department, or the federal minister, that he had a compelling reason to be in Canada and that he wouldn't commit more crimes on this side of the border. Cheers!

Posted - May 30

Responses

Australia too. Eminem cannot tour here, for example. And AC/DC have to employ a session drummer when they tour abroad, regular drummer Phil Rudd can't LEAVE the country (multiple drug convictions).
    I'm frankly astounded that a felony conviction doesn't disqualify him - the Founding Fathers evidently didn't consider the possibility that a convicted felon would run. Again using Australia as an example, anyone convicted of a crime that can carry a custodial sentence of 12 months or more cannot sit in Parliament, whether or not a custodial sentence is imposed. Obviously Trump was not going to be jailed for this particular crime, but if the judge really wanted to throw the book, he could have been.
      May 30, 2024 7:54 PM MDT

I’m wondering if Scotland has the same law. Trump has a golf coarse there so he might not be able to go there for a game. Cheers!

May 30, 2024 8:08 PM MDT

Not quite. In the UK a former criminal can be elected once his/her sentence is complete.
      May 30, 2024 8:36 PM MDT

I was going to say that he will get one less vote in November,  but it seems that the laws about felons voting varies by state. So, unless I heard wrong, he will be casting a vote, presumably for himself, unless he happens to actually be behind bars. I find that unlikely, but you never know. While most legal experts are predicting probation, one or two think his lack of remorse and the likelihood that he will continue to run his mouth about the legal system might work against him.

This post was edited by Jane S at May 31, 2024 1:21 PM MDT
      May 30, 2024 8:40 PM MDT

Maybe Trump’s Felony charges will keep him out of the WH.

Felons aren't allowed in the US military. So how can Trump be commander in chief? Cheers and happy weekend!

May 31, 2024 8:11 AM MDT

A felony conviction does not disqualify anyone from from being president and commander-in-chief. We leave it up to voters whether they want to elect a convicted criminal.
      May 31, 2024 8:50 AM MDT

Ahh I thought I found a loophole. Cheers and happy weekend!
      May 31, 2024 9:15 AM MDT

Here is another bonus to Trump's fraud charges - his Wikipedia page has been updated. 

In May 2024 a jury in New York found Trump guilty of 34 felony counts of falsifying buisseness  records related to a hush-money payment to Stormy Daniels, making Trump the first U.S.  president to be convicted of a crime. 

Cheers and happy weekend!

May 31, 2024 8:44 AM MDT

Yes, no matter what happens Trump will be in the history books forever.
      May 31, 2024 8:53 AM MDT

I'm sure he will turn that into something like, "I have achieved something that no other president of the United States has ever done."
      May 31, 2024 1:23 PM MDT