Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » If you are angry at me and others for choosing to be gay . . . do you remember when you chose to be heterosexual?

If you are angry at me and others for choosing to be gay . . . do you remember when you chose to be heterosexual?

Why would I, as a youngster, choose to be gay if I and others would be damned to hell by some, threatened, and even killed for simply choosing to be gay?
But if I chose to be gay, I know then that you know, and remember, when you chose to be heterosexual.

And I remember in my early years knowing about my same-sex attraction to others but I did not even know there was a name for it.

And I remember during my early education years, hearing, year-after-year, teachers and others talking endlessly about their opposite-sex marriages.

And reading books, seeing movies, with plots about opposite-sex couplings all the time.

And, horrors!  -- As a child, I even saw pictures of opposite-sex couplings! 

And, yet, after all that, I'm still gay.

So, let's try simply enjoying our "choices," I guess.

Posted - June 17

Responses

I don't think people "choose" to be gay.  You either are attracted to the same sex or you aren't - simple as that. It doesn't make you less of a human and it certainly doesn't mean that you should be shamed or treated poorly because of it. 
      June 18, 2024 9:17 AM MDT

Thanks.
    Yeah, it was just where my head has been for a bit and I wrote out some of my thoughts.
    For me, I can say it was not a conscious choice at all.
      June 18, 2024 3:00 PM MDT

It was the summer of 1967 when I first figured I was heterosexual. 
    I am a bit of a 
    Botanical Engineer – I can look at a pot seed with a microscope and tell if that seed will produce a male plant or a female plant. So I can understand Lady Gaga’s song - Born This Way.

Anyway this post reminded me of a Canadian rock group “the Odds”and their song “Heterosexual Man” and I thought I would include it. Cheers! 

June 18, 2024 10:22 AM MDT

Thanks for sharing on my out-there question. :)

Have not been familiar with The Odds -- I really liked this song, first time I heard it!  Very funny theme to the music video, too! Ha!

And as fun as the video is to their cool-to-me song, I especially liked the non-musical 30-seconds intro to the music video! Ha!

June 18, 2024 3:11 PM MDT

This made me search my memory, but I honestly have no recollection of being more than vaguely aware that homosexuality existed until I was in my early twenties. At that time, my circle of friends widened to include one girl's brother and his partner and occasionally one or two of their friends. They didn't seem any different than my other platonic male friends and I don't recall thinking what they did was a choice. It's not exactly the same thing, but I worked with a man who was only attracted to obese women. I didn't think that was a choice either. My attitude has always been that I don't care about anyone's sex life if it doesn't include me. I don't think anyone should have to live a lie or be denied their right to openly love whom they please (as long as its someone over the age of consent).
      June 18, 2024 11:38 AM MDT

Yes, I get your points, thanks. I agree, too. :)
    Just having heard/read/seen many varying points of views in my life, I, with my personality, even from a young age, just always thought, "This is just a part of me."
      June 18, 2024 3:03 PM MDT

Very well said, Welby! 

Surely, the real choice is whether one wants to be kind or not?

June 19, 2024 5:27 AM MDT

Thanks, Danilo.

In spite of many difficulties at times, overall, my life experiences along these lines have been okay and supportive.
      June 19, 2024 10:18 AM MDT