Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What feel you the need to make so much noise for?

What feel you the need to make so much noise for?

Posted - June 18

Responses

Someone is dying right before my eyes.  She is in total denial about alcohol consumption and the effect it has had on her.  I have nothing to prove to her the reality of the situation, to her.  She won't listen and thinks I'm overreacting.  Have someone in the background working against me.

I want to say to the person; Ok then, you think you know so much and have all the answers, you deal with it.  I can't fight two people for her life.  This will be interesting for sure. 

This post was edited by . at June 19, 2024 5:23 AM MDT
      June 18, 2024 11:12 AM MDT

It is very difficult for people with additive personalities to see themselves as others do.  They will find any reason to justify what they are doing.  That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to dissuade them from their self-destruction.  It does mean that there comes a point where we have to realize that unless and until they themselves want to change, there is little that can be done.  You can lead a horse to water ...
      June 18, 2024 1:06 PM MDT

She doesn't realize how close to death she is and won't listen to others.  Too bad we don't have the Baker Law in this state.  The way I see it is, she will have to be made to stop by outside forces.  I don't have the funds to make that happen, my hands are tied so to speak. 
    I am reminded of the drug addicts in Pennsylvania who have open wounds on their body from Bad fentanyl and refuse to go to the hospital.  They are in pain but can't see how bad they are, they have lost their way. When they die their body is removed and that is the end of that, no more chances. 
    This post was edited by . at June 19, 2024 4:34 PM MDT
      June 18, 2024 7:57 PM MDT

I'm sorry to hear that.
      June 19, 2024 10:13 AM MDT

I lost a dear family member to alcohol a few years ago. I know it's hard for you to watch. In hindsight, I wish I had accepted she had an illness that would probably be terminal and made the most of the time we had left. 
      June 18, 2024 8:03 PM MDT

If I had the funds, I'd take conservatorship over her and make her get help.  However, it may, even now, be too late. Doing something like that would be too much for one person, especially me, one or more family members would have to be in agreement, I could not handle that alone, that's for sure.  I don't take something like that lightly either, only the possibility of death would make me even consider it.  Taking away someone freedom is not something I ever want to do, but I don't want her to die either. 

My BFF is creative, perhaps he has an answer, sure wish he was here now to advise me. 

This post was edited by . at June 19, 2024 4:34 PM MDT
      June 18, 2024 8:08 PM MDT

Have you considered attending a support group for people affected by someone else's drinking?

https://al-anon.org/
      June 18, 2024 9:57 PM MDT

Yes, I agree with your suggestion.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 19, 2024 4:35 PM MDT
      June 19, 2024 12:50 AM MDT

I have been the Al-anon meetings the past, already now what they will say, but thank you, should practice what I learned.

This post was edited by . at June 19, 2024 4:35 PM MDT
      June 19, 2024 2:10 AM MDT

I agree with Jane S's suggestion.

My entire childhood since I was born, my mom had mental health challenges. And from age eight until after I graduated from high school, my mom was an active alcoholic. Our entire family loved her, she loved each of us, we all loved each other.
    We tried to help her and we lived, literally, with her. There was love always in our family but she continued to drink. And I know she did not want to be drinking.

It wasn't until she herself went to Alcoholics Anonymous that she became sober. I admire her greatly, knowing what she herself went through growing up.

It's the middle of the night for me -- I've had a very, very tough emotional year in the last year --  I don't mean to sound blunt and I say this in love - -but there is nothing you can do to make this person behave the way you wish and behave in the way you believe is best.

Al-Anon can help you, though.

Again, I speak from my experience only. My best to you and this person.
      June 19, 2024 12:50 AM MDT

Must have been hard on you for sure, sorry you had to endure that.
      June 19, 2024 2:18 AM MDT

Challenges, yes. But, at this point in my life, I wouldn't have changed a thing.
    It all brought me to "me" and I'm good with that.  :)

Again, I'm fortunate love was always present.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 21, 2024 4:13 AM MDT

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I don't think addiction is a choice people make and it can take an enormous amount of strength to overcome it.
      June 19, 2024 7:53 AM MDT

You're welcome.

Yes, and I agree with you 110% .
    Even if I could, at this point in my life, I wouldn't change a thing about my growing up, nor would I wish to  have/have had different parents. I admire both of them greatly and love them.
    I am "me" because of day-to-day experiences with all the people and things in my life, especially my immediate family.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 19, 2024 4:35 PM MDT

I'm in a band. It's what we do.
      June 19, 2024 4:04 AM MDT

Actually, I am almost always quite quiet.
      June 19, 2024 4:36 PM MDT