Discussion » Questions » Politics » Whats something you wish Harris would of said to Trump during the debate?

Whats something you wish Harris would of said to Trump during the debate?

During the debate Trump was talking about how weak America's military is thanks to Biden. And he added Russia has these little things called nukes. I think Harris should of said – well we have these big things called thermonuclear weapons and maybe if you didn’t spend all your time telling Russia that America’s military is weak – Putin would be too scared to use his little things. Cheers!

Posted - September 12

Responses

It is not about in it for me.   I did not say either one is a bad idea.  I said neither will fix the economy.
    And it is about fixing the economy and getting the inflation under control for everybody...this includes my daughter and others with kids.   If everything remains so expensive the increased ctc will not help, the inflation will eat that up and then some.  

Take your taxes up with your CPA.....

September 15, 2024 7:49 AM MDT

My advice to you is to write it how you mean it.  If you meant that neither of those things help the economy, THEN SAY THAT.  Clearly, some of us took the way you wrote it to mean that you were being selfish because they didn't do YOU any good.  

Do you really believe that increasing tariffs is going to help the economy?  Do you not realize that it will increase prices to businesses which will in turn pass on those added costs to the consumer?  How does that help inflation or the economy?  

Do you really think that lowering the tax bracket for big businesses and the very wealthy is going to do anything for the middle class?  The reason we are in a financial fix today is because when Trump lowered taxes for the wealthy and corporations, there was no corresponding income from other sources to make up for that shortfall.  Do you not realize that contributed to the increase in the national debt as well as inflation?  Naturally, because you didn't have to pay as much in taxes once Trump's tax relief went into effect, it's "it benefitted me, so screw everyone else."  

Thanks, but I don't need you to tell me to take my taxes up with my CPA.  
      September 15, 2024 8:07 AM MDT

I said what I meant and gave examples.   I said it would only stimulate the economy once a year. (Feb to Apr)  That is a good thing. (It not I would have said it was not) 

The tax cuts increased Fed revenue...there was a dip in 2020 (covid) and a drop in 2023 (caused by Biden/Harris inflation not Trump cuts) and I believe their will be a further drop for 2024...again the inflation is taking people's money for essentials not leaving much for discretionary spending.  Deficit is because neither side is willing to cut spending they just disagree about what to spend it on.  But REVENUE increased. 

Nearly everyone got a tax cut. Not just the RICH.  I am not rich or anything close to it. I got a tax cut.  
    And yes,  the tax cuts caused many companies to give increased wages for the lower end workers. There was a credit on my electric bill every month that was a direct result of the Trump tax cut (It was printed in its own line as the Trump Tax Cut and Jobs Act credit)  That effects everyone who has an electric bill....and helps lower income people more as every dollar counts more than higher income people. 

No the tax cut did not cause inflation, the inflation did not come until Biden/Harris got in office and attacked our energy producers and opened our border.  If the Trump tax cuts were the cause we would have had inflation problems under Trump....we did not. This post was edited by my2cents at September 15, 2024 8:35 AM MDT
      September 15, 2024 8:21 AM MDT

Do you think the full effects of any legislation appear immediately?  Trump inherited a very good economy from Obama and trashed it with his own poor policies.  I'm done with this conversation because no matter what facts I might provide, it will never matter to the Trumpians because they have an idea in their heads and nothing will change it no matter how wrong that idea is.
      September 15, 2024 9:27 AM MDT

Economy under Obama was crap (better than what Bush left but still crap).  We had the "new normal" gdp of 2%.    I have been in business for 25 yrs.  By best years were under Trump. My worst are under Biden/Harris.  Sales are down....and expenses are up.  That can only go on for so long.  And every business owner I talk to is saying the same thing. 
    As far as your last statement, I could say the same and simply replace Trumpians with Dems and it would still be correct.  This post was edited by my2cents at September 15, 2024 9:49 AM MDT
      September 15, 2024 9:46 AM MDT

Boo hoo.  Your taxes went down - mine went up.  Forgive me if I don't have any sympathy for business owners.

EDIT TO ADD:

The economy under Trump wasn't as great as you think.  

"The statistics for the entirety of Donald Trump’s time in office are nearly all compiled. As we did for his predecessor four years ago, we present a final look at the numbers.
    • The economy lost 2.7 million jobs. The unemployment rate increased by 1.7 percentage points to 6.4%.
    • Paychecks grew faster than inflation. Average weekly earnings for all workers were up 8.4% after inflation.
    • After-tax corporate profits went up, and the stock market set new records. The S&P 500 index rose 67.8%.
    • The international trade deficit Trump promised to reduce went up. The U.S. trade deficit in goods and services in 2020 was the highest since 2008 and increased 36.3% from 2016.
    • The number of people lacking health insurance rose by 3 million.
    • The federal debt held by the public went up, from $14.4 trillion to $21.6 trillion.
    • Home prices rose 27.5%, and the homeownership rate increased 2.1 percentage points to 65.8%.
    • Illegal immigration increased. Apprehensions at the Southwest border rose 14.7% last year compared with 2016.
    • Coal production declined 26.5%, and coal-mining jobs dropped by 25%. Carbon emissions from energy consumption dropped 11.3%.
    • Handgun production rose 12.5% last year compared with 2016, setting a new record.
    • The murder rate last year rose to the highest level since 1997.
    • Trump filled one-third of the Supreme Court, nearly 30% of the appellate court seats and a quarter of District Court seats."

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/10/trumps-final-numbers/

E
    DIT #2 corrected the word AD to ADD. This post was edited by Spunky at September 16, 2024 7:36 AM MDT
      September 15, 2024 9:49 AM MDT

Yours when up because you took a distribution out of a stocks or 401k that you did not have them withhold taxes out of.  We discussed this before.  That is not an increase that was a result of not withholding the correct amount. 
      September 15, 2024 9:52 AM MDT

My tax rate increased.  
      September 15, 2024 10:01 AM MDT

Not what you posted before.    
    Under the TCJA everyone's Federal standard deduction was increased across the board.   (Nearly doubling for each filing status...$6350 to $12000 for singles, $12700 to $24,000) Some people's effective tax rate may have when up because of some deductions being removed, specifically the SALT deduction.   But that mainlu effected property owners in high tax states.  Or others who have more deductions that make it worthy of filing long form rather than utilizing the standard deduction.  
      September 15, 2024 11:07 AM MDT

My tax rate went from 22% to 24%.  Do you think people like Trump pay that high a tax rate?  If you do, youi need to do some additional research.

EDIT:  Not to mention my Social Security is taxed at 85%. This post was edited by Spunky at September 15, 2024 12:11 PM MDT
      September 15, 2024 12:09 PM MDT

The standard deduction increased, but the personal exemption was eliminated. For a single filer, this was pretty much a wash. Plus eliminating the deduction for state and local taxes had a bigger impact on people in states with higher taxes, like NY. I don't think it's fair to judge everyone's benefit or lack of it, by your own situation.  Or to make assumptions about where their income came from. Your response wasn't aimed at me, but it might as well have been. 
      September 15, 2024 12:10 PM MDT

Thank you.  I lived in NY.
      September 15, 2024 12:12 PM MDT

I actually think Minnesota might be even higher.
      September 15, 2024 2:47 PM MDT

Maybe.
      September 15, 2024 3:53 PM MDT

I not judging anyone or anything.  I was stating the fact that majority of people got a tax cut under the TCJA.   Not just the RICH.   Not a judgement there at all.  And the standard S-$6350 + the personal deduction of $4500= $10,850 the new standard deduction for single was $12,000 still more than $1000 increase from the 2017 deduction.   

And of course always a reason to make sure you are having the correct amounts withheld for your taxes. 

As far as the SALT, I view that as lower taxed states paying for the higher taxed states taxes.   I am sure we disagree on that premise.
      September 15, 2024 1:07 PM MDT

With all due respect, when you tell someone their taxes went up because they didn't withhold enough, it sounds like judgment to me. Not to mention the fact that the amount you have withheld has no effect on the amount you pay.

And, in my case, that extra $1000 was more than wiped out by removing the deduction for state and local taxes. So, if I or anyone else says our taxes went up, we are being truthful. And, I am no longer a property owner, so I am only talking about state income tax. I don't make political decisions based just on my own personal circumstances, but what I hear you saying is your taxes went down, so everyone is good. And to be clear, I am not complaining about my taxes going up, I understand that my taxes keep the government running. This post was edited by Jane S at September 15, 2024 2:47 PM MDT
      September 15, 2024 2:23 PM MDT

Exactly.  I paid more because I earned more.  Not only do our taxes keep the government running, they keep the red welfare states solvent.  You know, the states that take more from the feds than they contribute.  
      September 15, 2024 5:09 PM MDT

I guess you do not remember discussing this on the site. You we only working 3 days a week and took some distributions that did not have any withholdings from it.  And it resulted in your owning a tax bill that was higher than  all your tax balances due every in your working lifetime.  And so you told them to start withholding 25% of any further distributions. 
      September 15, 2024 8:03 PM MDT

Irrespective of what I had or didn't have withheld, my tax rate is my tax rate.  It doesn't change with the amount I have deducted.  What don't you understand about that?
      September 16, 2024 7:32 AM MDT

I our past exchanges you never stated your tax rate.  Only that the you thought the withholding brackets were incorrect and you ended up oweing more than you ever had in the past...as you had always claimed 0 allowances. And that the SALT deduction did not apply to you.  I suggested that you have your employer adjust your withholding and perhaps withhold extra.   
    Then later in another thread about the same topic.   You said about only working 3 days and getting some other disbursements to make the difference.   And there was no withholding from it. So you told them to withhold 25% from any further payments.    And I said that make sense.   (It was a nice discussion)

Now the doubling of the standard deduction is still more than the previous years standard + the personal deduction.  Now of course, I have no way of knowing why your rate would have increased without knowing more about your taxes....(I do not want to know and would not expect you to say more)

But I will say that given that your tax rate increased (you made more money) Congratulations,  you did well for yourself. I am being truly sincerely, in that.  It is always good to hear someone worked hard and it paid off. 
      September 16, 2024 5:15 PM MDT

That is what was posted in a previous thread years ago on this site.  I was simply repeating what was told to me. Repeating what was posted it not rude or disrespectful.  Nor is it a judgement. 
    You are correct your withholding does not effect you change your tax rate. It only changes what your tax balance due or refund due. 
      September 15, 2024 7:54 PM MDT

So you were dragging up a post from years ago that is only tangentially related to the current topic. In doing so you implied that someone is confusing balance owed with total tax due. No judgment,  no disrespect. Got it.
      September 15, 2024 9:11 PM MDT

The thread posts lead into the TCJA which was from years ago. Just following and replying to the responses. 
      September 16, 2024 5:01 AM MDT

The lower taxed states are generally red states and they are the states that take more from the federal government than they put in.  I think of those states as welfare states - you know, wanting to get something for nothing from the government.
      September 15, 2024 5:07 PM MDT

You are free to think whatever you want. 

Just as I am free to my opinion about the SALT deduction.  
      September 15, 2024 7:56 PM MDT