Active Now

Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Language » What might you say instead of "you're welcome "? (Just you, not a list of possibilities. )

What might you say instead of "you're welcome "? (Just you, not a list of possibilities. )

I'm from Minnesota. We say "you betcha".

Posted - Wed at 8:38 AM

Responses

Don't mention it.
      September 18, 2024 9:32 AM MDT

Sure thing 
    No problem 

To a customer....Thank you
      September 18, 2024 4:33 PM MDT

"No worries" isn't a 'Lennial thing, it's as Australian as Vegemite.  Often with a curse word in the middle of it and Spoonerized, eg "no wuckin' forries".
      September 18, 2024 5:29 PM MDT

Millennial in the US have picked it up.
      September 18, 2024 6:04 PM MDT

I can attest to this: the first time I ever heard “no worries” as a substitution for “you’re welcome“ was on my first day in Australia (specifically Perth and Fremantle, in the state of Western Australia). I can’t remember even one Aussie uttering “you’re welcome“, so I thought “no worries“ was the colloquial Australian way of saying it.
    ~

September 18, 2024 7:34 PM MDT

Meh, for some crucial reasons, I purposefully stick to the tried and true “you’re welcome“: first of all, it is simple and straightforward, it adequately gets the point across, and it plainly just makes sense.

Next, approximately three years ago, I was flummoxed to learn that the modern young generation considers “you’re welcome“‘to be rude, and for that reason they’ve come up with different ways to say it. To confront that in my own way, I still say “you’re welcome“ on every occasion of being thanked because I don’t see anything rude about it at all. It makes no sense to me that anyone would find such a common courtesy to be rude. I think some people just need to latch onto something about which they can be offended.

September 18, 2024 7:22 PM MDT

I'm as flummoxed as you as to why "You're welcome" would be considered rude,  Especially coming from a group in which so many lack manners. 
      September 18, 2024 7:31 PM MDT

September 18, 2024 7:35 PM MDT

This prompted me to find out more. Apparently, some people think it sounds like you're acknowledging that you put yourself out for the other person, and they are welcome to it. (I had to think about this for a while.) I guess when we say don't mention it, or no problem, we 're telling the other person we weren't inconvenienced. 

Also, it can sound wrong in other cultures.  The only other languages I can recall right now, say something to the effect of 'it was nothing'.

I never put much thought into it, to me it's just a phrase that isn't really taken literally like 'how do you do', but maybe the younger generation cares more deeply about it.
      September 18, 2024 9:00 PM MDT

You're a better person than me for taking the time to research this.  i think the younger generation has more issues to worry about than anyone saying "You're welcome."  In truth, there is always someone who will be offended by something someone says.  Frankly, I'm old to care about things like this.
      September 19, 2024 8:24 AM MDT