Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is everything fair game if you're trying to win an election? Even lying about disaster relief?

Is everything fair game if you're trying to win an election? Even lying about disaster relief?

https://ssnews.page.link/Xah6wenCwrQMyi238

Posted - October 5

Responses

Low IQ people will believe anything they're told.  They don't have the ability to think for themselves or to discern fact from fiction.
      October 5, 2024 5:30 PM MDT

It's not simply IQ; many people high IQs are foolish.  While everyone has the ability to think for themselves, many don't want to, as that would require effort on their part and they're not willing to put forth effort.  Many don't WANT to discern things to see whether they are the truth or a lie, as they only want things to fit their own point of view (no matter the cost).  
      October 6, 2024 8:38 AM MDT

Many people are looking for someone else to blame and this need has been exploited very effectively. Everything from inflation to housing shortages, and the lies about disaster relief funds, has been caused by one group of people, according to certain politicians. 
      October 6, 2024 9:46 AM MDT

You do have a point.
      October 6, 2024 11:41 AM MDT

Lying has always been fair game for winning an election.  
      October 6, 2024 8:46 AM MDT

Yes, but there are times when politics should take a backseat to helping people recover from a disaster. To spread lies that the government won't help these victims only makes it so much worse for them. 
      October 6, 2024 9:42 AM MDT

As it always has in the past....(sarcasm)
      October 7, 2024 7:43 AM MDT

Like when Trump wanted to withhold disaster relief from California because it is a blue state...not sarcasm.

Thanks for your response.
      October 7, 2024 7:56 AM MDT

Trump just made a joke about the widow of the firefighter that was killed at his rally. So I don’t think that was fair game. Cheers! 

https://newrepublic.com/post/186829/trump-making-jokes-man-killed-rally

October 6, 2024 10:54 AM MDT

No sane person expects anything classy to come out of Trump's mouth.
      October 6, 2024 11:42 AM MDT

He gave her a compliment.   Upon telling her her was.going to recieve a $M from donations to her.  She said she would rather have her husband.  He said her response was a beautiful one.   And there are some wives who would not feel that way. 

And the wife and family are evidently not offended by they "joke" (statement of fact really).  They came back to Butler PA rally and met with Trump again.   
      October 7, 2024 7:41 AM MDT

The joke was aimed at a few of the wealthy woman at the $150.000 per plate fundraiser. Trump joked that they would take the million dollar check over getting there husbands back. Cheers!

October 7, 2024 7:50 AM MDT

You think it's a compliment to tell someone their husband is dead, but you're getting a million dollars?
      October 7, 2024 8:02 AM MDT

Apparently, women who love their husband more than money aren't that common in Trump's social circle. 
      October 7, 2024 8:19 AM MDT

Not surprising.
      October 7, 2024 10:40 AM MDT

Listen to the people.  The people saying FEMA is not helping.  

There are some saying FEMA is not there and they don't want them there. 

October 7, 2024 7:46 AM MDT

Considering the enormity of the devastation, FEMA can't be everywhere at the same time.  Roads are gone, bridges no longer exist, downed trees and other obstacles are preventing help from arriving.  If people don't want FEMA there, then they shouldn't be complaining that they aren't there.  You can't have it both ways. But don't let that stop you from making this the fault of immigrants and Biden.  You probably also think that the Democrats caused the hurricane, too.
      October 7, 2024 7:52 AM MDT

The ones saying they don't want them are not the ones complaining.    

The locals who are helping and clearing roads, flying in supplies with their own planes/helicopters should not be having to fight with FEMA to continue helping. FEMA is telling them they cannot fly in looking for survivers and dropping food/water to those in need.   It needs to be all hands on deck and if FEMA is going to help  good, but preventing others from helping it not ok. 
      October 7, 2024 8:10 AM MDT

It's always helpful to use X as a reliable source. (Sarcasm)

https://www.fema.gov/disaster/current/hurricane-helene/rumor-response
      October 7, 2024 8:17 AM MDT

The military and National Guard are flying in supplies.  You don't see an issue with private individuals possibly flying wherever and whenever they like without some coordination?  I know they mean well, but you can't have drones and and helicopters flying around willy-nilly.  
      October 7, 2024 10:45 AM MDT

I think they should work with the people who were helping before they arrived.   The people who are going to places FEMA says they cannot go.  They are not trying to coordinate they are denying the volunteers to help.  

I do NOT think FEMA should come in and confiscate the donations from the people to help those in need.   FEMA will not cross a road sign that says road closed....I guess people on that road can just die if they have to wait on FEMA.  
      October 7, 2024 11:14 AM MDT

I'm guessing it hasn't occurred to you that there's a good reason for them putting up a road closed sign.  Could it possibly be BECAUSE THE ROAD IS UNSAFE TO TRAVEL ON?  You need to find a research site that tells the truth instead of whatever nonsense site you're using now.

"Local leaders say supplies are not being ‘confiscated’

During an Oct. 3 media briefing, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee, a Republican, was asked about rumors that FEMA, the Red Cross, or the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency funds were turned away.  

"That’s totally inaccurate," Lee said. "There’s a lot of misinformation — in fact, there’s some belief and understanding that it may be coming from foreign sources just to confuse on the ground what’s happening here. There’s no confiscation of supplies or of products coming in by FEMA or TEMA." 

In X posts, Knox County, Tennessee, Mayor Glenn Jacobs, another Republican, acknowledged frustration with FEMA and also encouraged people to "pitch in to help" without spreading misinformation about the emergency. 

"To my knowledge, FEMA, TEMA, nor anyone else is confiscating supplies," Jacobs wrote in an Oct. 4 X post. "Please quit spreading those rumors as they are counterproductive to response efforts."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2024/oct/06/facebook-posts/no-fema-other-emergency-responders-are-not-confisc/

This post was edited by Spunky at October 7, 2024 1:42 PM MDT
      October 7, 2024 1:36 PM MDT

Now that you've posted the complaints about private planes vis-a-vis FEMA, will you also post that Musk and Buttigieg got things straightened out on Friday and Must praised Buttigieg for being on the ball?  Probably not as it doesn't fit your narrative, so I'll do it for you:

"On Friday, Buttigieg disputed a series of claims made by the Tesla and SpaceX CEO. Musk had in an X post accused the government of closing the airspace in Asheville, North Carolina, to block recovery efforts.

Musk also blamed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the government's disaster-relief group, and the Federal Aviation Administration.

Buttigieg responded to Musk, writing: "No one is shutting down the airspace and FAA doesn't block legitimate rescue and recovery flights. If you're encountering a problem give me a call."

Buttigieg told MSNBC that some of the confusion on X stemmed from temporary flight restrictions, which the FAA introduced to ensure safety for aircraft conducting Hurricane Helene rescue and recovery activities.

Buttigieg said he and Musk managed to get to the bottom of what was happening and sort out problems for pilots helping to get Starlink equipment to disaster-hit areas.

"We were able to take care of it," Buttigieg said. "And, I think, to me it's an example of how often the best thing to do is just to pick up the phone."

Later on Friday, Musk had a more positive tone while replying to a post from Buttigieg on X about the government delivering additional emergency relief to South Carolina.

"Thanks for expediting approval for support flights," Musk said. "Just wanted to note that Sec Buttigieg is on the ball."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pete-buttigieg-says-had-call-081754462.html

October 7, 2024 11:17 AM MDT

Remember how people affected by Hurricane Maria heaped praise on Trump and FEMA? Me neither.
      October 7, 2024 8:05 AM MDT