Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Jesus comes to you and tells you that Satan will release 2 sinners from Hell if you will go in their place. Would a true Christian refuse?

Jesus comes to you and tells you that Satan will release 2 sinners from Hell if you will go in their place. Would a true Christian refuse?

People might think I am an atheist but I would go.

Posted - December 19, 2016

Responses

No he would release people like Hitter so why should I take their place. Cheers!
      December 19, 2016 9:33 PM MST

A sinner  is a sinner regardless who the person is. Jesus would determine who is rehabilitated and suitable to be released. This post was edited by Kittigate at December 20, 2016 5:31 AM MST
      December 19, 2016 9:52 PM MST

No one is going to suffer eternally in hell for any reason.  
      December 19, 2016 9:47 PM MST

Ok.
      December 19, 2016 9:54 PM MST

• I don't believe any kind of afterlife is possible.
    But laying that aside, in answer to your question, no. 
    I think the idea of a man (Jesus) being a scapegoat or martyr to die for the sins of believers is barbaric beyond imagining.
    I believe each person is responsible for the outcome of their actions and needs to experience the consequences.
      December 19, 2016 11:22 PM MST

Right.  Belief in God and gods can inspire writers to make up some pretty interesting stories.  
    I feel certain Jesus did exist as a teacher of a good message but not as a son of God or savior. 

In the unlikely scenario that Jesus asking a Christian to go in place of sinners I think a true Christian should be willing; having faith that Jesus would have a plan to rescue them before asking such a thing.
      December 19, 2016 11:40 PM MST

• I agree that historically there is no doubt that such a man existed. Plenty of evidence there. And if even half of what the gospels claim is true, then he was wise and taught good messages by good examples. Although, as Bertrand Russell pointed out, there were two occasions when he was neither wise nor good - but then, that just meant he was human like everyone else.

I just could never accept any human being (or animal) being used as a scapegoat to die by torture (or any means) to atone for the sins of others.

I agree that Jesus never would have asked such a question - but a certain Kittigate did suggest it as a hypothetical... so I answered the proposition.
      December 20, 2016 3:12 AM MST

Hi Zenobia, you write 'I agree that historically there is no doubt that such a man existed. Plenty of evidence there.' where do you suggest the 'there' is that this evidence can be found?
      August 15, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

This scenario will never take place.
      December 20, 2016 12:13 AM MST

I know that - it's kind of a hypothetical question but a 'true Christian' should have faith and Be willing -faith that Jesus would have a plan to rescue them even before asking such a question.  

Christians who I have addressed that question to have said they would not be willing;  lack of faith in Jesus I guess.

December 20, 2016 12:28 AM MST

True it will not take place as he is NOT coming back.
      August 12, 2017 1:26 AM MDT

If He asked me, no. If He told me, guess I'd have to. Either that or run to the hills and hope He can't find me. 
      December 20, 2016 1:49 AM MST

No, let the suckers burn.
    I don't know if a true Christian would do that or not since I am not one.
      December 20, 2016 1:16 PM MST

I think a 'true Christian ' should be willing to go having faith in Jesus that he would have a plan in mind  to rescue him/her even before asking that question. 

Any Christians I have asked " would you go...?" have indicated no or not likely I guess because they lack faith in Jesus. 
    'O ye of little faith'
      December 20, 2016 1:40 PM MST

It's either lack of faith or blind faith depending on their answer.
      December 20, 2016 2:00 PM MST

Yes.
      December 20, 2016 2:37 PM MST

Well, I'd think it was an impostor rather than Jesus Himself.

Anyone who might be in hell has turned himself (or herself) by their free will into something that cannot exist in heaven.

(Was this a trick question?)

December 20, 2016 4:50 PM MST

A literal Hell Fire where immortal souls of sinners are tortured for eternity does not exist in the scriptures. Preachers hold on to that myth to scare money out of people.
      December 21, 2016 1:15 AM MST

The question is meant to be a test of faith in Jesus. If Jesus approached me then I would be willing to go because his existence as Son of God would be established for me and I would have faith that he had a plan to rescue me before asking such a question. 
      December 21, 2016 1:56 AM MST

Hello Kittigate. I knew you had asked  a hypothetical question with a specific reason. My response was because some people believe in that Hell Fire myth as Tom Jackson's comment imply's.

That being said, when being tempted, Jesus did not unnecessarily risk his life in effect putting God to the test and neither should we.
    (Galatians 6:7) Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a person is sowing, this he will also reap;
    (Matthew 4:7) Jesus said to him: “Again it is written: ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’”
    (Deuteronomy 6:16) “You must not put Jehovah your God to the test the way you put him to the test at Masʹsah.

EDIT: 
    God and Jesus judge righteously and we should not and cannot interfere with their righteous judgments. 
    (Genesis 18:25) It is unthinkable that you would act in this manner by putting the righteous man to death with the wicked one so that the outcome for the righteous man and the wicked is the same! It is unthinkable of you. Will the Judge of all the earth not do what is right?”
    (2 Chronicles 19:7) Now let the fear of Jehovah be upon you. Be careful about what you do, for with Jehovah our God there is no injustice, no partiality, no bribe-taking.”
    (Job 34:10) So listen to me, you men of understanding: It is unthinkable for the true God to act wickedly, For the Almighty to do wrong!

(Isaiah 11:3-5) And he will find delight in the fear of Jehovah. He will not judge by what appears to his eyes, Nor reprove simply according to what his ears hear.  4 He will judge the lowly with fairness, And with uprightness he will give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth And put the wicked to death with the breath of his lips.  5 Righteousness will be the belt around his waist, And faithfulness the belt of his hips. This post was edited by texasescimo at August 14, 2017 10:22 PM MDT
      December 21, 2016 2:16 AM MST

Ok. Sounds fine.
      December 21, 2016 7:44 AM MST

"In Jewish Rabbinic literature, and Christian and Islamic scripture, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked." (and associated with fire)

I've never had a preacher attempt to scare money out of me, and he would not be successful if he tried.

"Have the preacheers been more successful with you?

This post was edited by tom jackson at December 21, 2016 7:30 AM MST
      December 21, 2016 7:30 AM MST

You could also say that in Christian scripture that Jesus' followers are farm animals. What was this Gehenna that Jesus referred to?
    Not the same as the Hell you initially referred to with: "Anyone who might be in hell has turned himself (or herself) by their free will into something that cannot exist in heaven."

Gehenna is no more a literal Hell than People are a literal farm animal like a Sheep or Goat, yes?

And no, scare tactics like the non-scriptural Hell Fire and the non-scriptural immortality of the soul and the non-scriptural tithing for Christians don't work on me as I've read and studied the Bible enough to know those basics.
      December 21, 2016 7:40 AM MST

Many people have read the bible.  Many have not. Some even have studied it.  Some are even exegetes.  Sometimes each of those groups add the same amount of value to a conversation about what is in the bible.

All creation follows God, including the farm animals.

Basic knowledge is good, but now here's the new plan: " When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."  

December 21, 2016 7:51 AM MST