Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What do the anti-Trump crazies hope to accomplish?

What do the anti-Trump crazies hope to accomplish?

Those anti-Trump people are starting to scare me.  They are crazy.  
Reacting to things that have not happened.  The fake news has worked them
into an insane frenzy. 

Posted - January 15, 2017

Responses

Maybe to bring attention to what didn't happen with this election and is needed for the leader of the U.S./World really.

“Choose a leader who will invest in building bridges, not walls. Books, not weapons. Morality, not corruption. Intellectualism and wisdom, not ignorance. Stability, not fear and terror. Peace, not chaos. Love, not hate. Convergence, not segregation. Tolerance, not discrimination. Fairness, not hypocrisy. Substance, not superficiality. Character, not immaturity. Transparency, not secrecy. Justice, not lawlessness. Environmental improvement and preservation, not destruction. Truth, not lies. ~Suzy Kassem
      January 15, 2017 6:46 PM MST

All depends on what side of the fence you stand on.
      January 16, 2017 1:47 AM MST

• The US is no longer the world's leader and has not been for some time.
    Other powers such as China, the EU, Japan, and Russia are now much stronger than they once were, while other countries are gaining in affluence and power.
    If history is anything to go by, I think that the USA will remain highly influential for a long time yet, but will never again have the same level of power as it gained by helping to end WWII.
      January 16, 2017 4:19 PM MST

Gaining is the key word.  IMO, The United States is still the world's number one superpower, at least for now. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at January 16, 2017 5:56 PM MST
      January 16, 2017 5:49 PM MST

I just hope they don't try anything even crazier..
      January 15, 2017 6:52 PM MST

• I am anti-Trump but wouldn't describe myself as crazy -
    although, by definition, those who are crazy don't know it.

I think what you are referring to as crazy is those who are spending so much time and energy protesting against something which is a democratic fait accomplis.
    Trump is in, will be inaugurated in a few days, and there's nothing any ordinary citizen can do about it until the next election. 

In the meantime, those of us who don't like Republican policies and/or Trump's particular brand of it can only watch and stay alert to the implications of each change in legislation. We can also hope that the constitutional protections will provide some limitations and soften some of the blows. Or that perhaps some of his advisers and the international powers will show him how political realities differ from business negotiations.

It is my belief that the working class jobless poor who voted for him will sincerely regret their vote and react against him next time around. They, who normally don't vote, came out in previously unseen numbers to vote for him in the hope of jobs, migrant exclusions and trickle down economics. They will discover that in the next four years the jobless rate will increase, while wages, company torts, and union and legal protections will decrease. This is because business believes it prospers best when there is a workforce desperate enough to accept lower wages. Trickle down economics doesn't work because those who make the profits keep them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 16, 2017 11:54 PM MST
      January 15, 2017 6:58 PM MST

Why would you call yourself anti-Trump?  You aren't American. 
      January 15, 2017 8:22 PM MST

• Because Australia and New Zealand are signed into the ANZUS Treaty with the United States. This treaty deprives us of choice. We are obliged to say yes to America's requests in all military matters.
    Due to this treaty, your nuclear warships come to dock and resupply in our city ports, your satellites orbit over our continent, you have an astronomical observatory in our desert, you are building a naval base near Darwin and your armed forces regularly practise manouvers with us and fight together with us in places like Afghanistan and Syria.
    The pay-off: Australia and New Zealand hope that in the event of an invasion by an enemy, America might come to our aid.

But with Trump's current diplomatic blunders with China over Taiwan, and some of his pre-electoral comments on China's military take-over of rocky islands in Philippine waters of the South China Sea, Australia now fears that Trump may start a war with China.
    We depend on China for 15% of our trade. Chinese businesses have been buying large tracts of our land and prime real city estate which a majority of taxpayers think is unbelievably stupid of our government to allow.)
    So for us, war with China would be nothing short of a catastrophic disaster. We do not have the manpower, equipment, or wealth to be able to defend ourselves.

Australia is strongly affected by America's trade and business practises, and also is cultural hegemony - so whoever is in power in the US has a strong effect on our prosperity and well-being. Our currently right wing government believes that Trump's protectionist policies may damage our trade with the USA.
    A high proportion of Australians follow international news from around the world, and we have broadcasts of American news several times daily, as well as local and American political commentators and experts doing analysis of the implications.
    I do not often comment on the political questions on this site - perhaps less than 5% of them, partly because I am not an American citizen and voter, but that does not mean that I don't have an interest in what's going on. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 16, 2017 6:28 PM MST
      January 16, 2017 4:03 PM MST

• So people acting identically to certain slices of Republican support over the last decade or so scare you?  I'd have thought people in the US would be used to seeing people act illogically and without engaging their brain.  That 'both sides' do it should be no surprise.

Let's just see how the sexual assault trials go shall we?  :)  Maybe he can buy, frighten or kill them off, but maybe not.
      January 15, 2017 7:44 PM MST

Nah. We don't pay that much attention to Britain. 
      January 15, 2017 8:56 PM MST

Most of the people I know that are against the newly elected Groper in Chief have needed nothing more than his own words and documented (on film, that is) deeds to have come to the conclusion that he is not someone they would ever support. Speculation or fake news not required.
      January 15, 2017 7:59 PM MST

• I agree. I watched his pre-election speeches, and it didn't take a translator to understand what he meant, or see the consistently sexist and racist attitudes openly flaunted.
    I believe he thinks his attitudes are right and has no shame about them.
      January 16, 2017 4:23 PM MST

not sure
      January 15, 2017 8:38 PM MST

• Maybe they see a wrong and are trying to right it ...

Bonus points if you know who said that :)
      January 15, 2017 9:06 PM MST

They want to instill fear. An attempt to make people afraid of PET. They want to paint him as a monster, the new Hitler, a racist, a sexist, a bigot, a conman, a bull-shit-artist, a doofus, a clown, and a bozo they'd like to punch in the face. Nobody is allowed to come in, all foreigners are going to be deported, everybody who is poor will never have health care, the only people who have tax breaks are the wealthy like him. The only ones who voted for him are the stupid, deplorable rednecks who were only influenced to vote for Trump by Putin's hacking. But us liberals didn't fall for that because we're too smart. ;P

Liberal fear train has paranoid passengers. 
      January 15, 2017 9:11 PM MST

• I dislike the exaggerations. It seems both sides of politics are prone to them, and it does not help to serve the cause of reasoned thinking and debate. 
    It also quickly deteriorates into offensive language which gets people very upset and can have a negative effect on this site.
    Good arguments are interesting. They can make the site stimulating  and, if we wish, help us to clarify or re-evaluate our thinking.
    Personally attacking the one who argues can never win an arguement.

I have seen one person here who does show signs of fear bordering on paranoia but even that is not a fair assesment because other factors may be involved.

However, since liberals want to see greater social justice and protections and do not agree that trickle down economics can ever work, we are naturally concerned that a Republican government will take society away from the direction in which we would prefer to see it develop. I can't see anything unrealistic in that.

Conversely conservatives believe that too much of a safety net makes it too easy for people to avoid effort and become dependant, and that if business prospers emplyment increases. So they fear that liberal governments will make it harder for businesses to make profits. There is also some truth in that idea, so Republican fears of liberal thinking are also not completely unrealistic. But both sides grossly exaggerate the negatives of the attitudes of the others. That does not help to create constructive dialogue.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2017 1:38 AM MST
      January 16, 2017 5:11 PM MST

I just vividly remember the hysteria with some over the election of Obama.  It was nuts because he didn't even act badly in front of a camera.

Just as long as the protests are peaceful and productive, I think people should voice their discord.
      January 16, 2017 4:22 PM MST

Hello M:

Der Pumpkintweeter TRIED to deligitimize Obama with his birther lie, and I wanna let him know how if feels..  If that's crazy, count me in...

excon
      January 16, 2017 6:02 PM MST

Mob mentality is dangerous but the weak minded get sucked in. Half of the millennials don't even know what they are screaming about. But everyone else is doing it. Then there are those who are paid to act and be crazy. The biggest group is the weak-minded. This site is full of them.
      January 17, 2017 2:14 PM MST

Unfortunately Obama and Soros caused many in America to lose their jobs and eventually unemployment benefits  as part of a master plan in which these unemployed people would one day become desperate and broke, so they would jmp at any chance to make some money like rioting and protesting .  These people don't ask questions, just do as they are told and receive money in return like many are now being paid 2500 to protest in NYC this Friday.  So its its in their best interest not to know why but do as told

January 17, 2017 2:24 PM MST