Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » Because of your old age what did you get to see that new generations won't get to see?

Because of your old age what did you get to see that new generations won't get to see?

In the 70's I loved watching the new cars roll off the production line then get driven to the holding lot. Sometimes the drivers would rev them up and pop the front wheels off the ground - like to see a smart car do that. So thats something I think new generations will never get to see. Cheers!

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

I forget---how did survive the flood?
      February 27, 2017 5:50 PM MST

• We set an endurance swimming record that's never been bettered. For forty days and forty nights we swam with nothing to eat but plankton and nothing to drink but sea water. What an epic that way.
      February 27, 2017 5:55 PM MST

Young at heart is the only requirement!  You win.  
      February 27, 2017 5:54 PM MST

Yep, I remember all of that too.
      February 27, 2017 2:15 PM MST

• Those take me back, Pea Pod. :)
      February 27, 2017 4:34 PM MST

I enjoyed yours as well.  I remember my parents telling me about some of the things you shared.  I always thought my grandmother saw some of the best things like the first light bulbs, electric appliances, radio, television, and things that really modernized the world.
      February 27, 2017 4:43 PM MST

During the Cold War, our city was on the list for the second wave of ICBM's (due to the oil companies here) I still have the evacuation book that was delivered to every house in Calgary, it told us which road to take and where to meet should the air raid sirens go off. (There was one in every community, normally in the school yards) And they occasionally did go off, when there was a malfunction. You just listened to see if it was just yours or were they all going. 
    And the ads during the cold war, (propaganda to keep people from worrying too much)
    Listening to the short wave radio to see if we could hear Sputnik as it went around the earth. I think they broadcast on the 49 meter band, but am not sure.
    Saturday, going to the Matinee at the Theatre, getting News of The World, cartoon, short continued western, then the Main Western Movie. Bus was a nickel, movie ten cents, and five cents for candy or pop, (had to save a nickel to get home)
      February 27, 2017 2:11 PM MST

Cassette tapes
    Reel to reel tape recorders
    33 records
    45 records
    The Beetles on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time.
    Buying a car for under $500.00 and it ran good.
    Eight track tapes
    Car hops on roller skates
      February 27, 2017 2:14 PM MST

My first car cost me $350.  It was a bomb, but it ran.  Got a good year out of that boat.

My favorite item was my first cassette tape recorder.  I couldn't believe I could record my favorite songs right off the radio!
      February 27, 2017 2:45 PM MST

My first car was a 62 Ford Falcon that cost 300.00.
    Those are a classic now and worth a lot of money.
    If only I had known.
      February 27, 2017 4:08 PM MST

Mine was a 1968 Ford LTD.  The car had already seen its' better day by the time I bought it.  It was a freaking boat!  Nothing could dent that thing.
      February 27, 2017 4:45 PM MST

Playing outside with your friends for extended periods of time. When technology came along, it took all of that away from us or rather we let it.
      February 28, 2017 8:46 AM MST

Great tasting fresh water. 
      February 28, 2017 8:53 AM MST

Ripened crops of grain being cut and stooked then picked up by horse drawn hay racks and taken to the thrashing machine in operation by a steam powered tractor. 
      February 28, 2017 9:27 AM MST

I was born in 1941 & saw the advent of TV......OMG it was HUUUUGE.......my friends had the first TV set on our block and all us kids would go there every Friday night to watch "I Remember Mama" at 8 pm.......it was pure cornball stuff....got to see an episode recently, but we were ENTHRALLED with it....

always loved the movies.....and also recall when 3D came around......again, a huge sensation, but died out when filmmakers realized you had to make movies that had more than stuff jumping out at you!!!

there were 2 made in 3D but then released in 2D: "Miss Sadie Thompson' with Rita Hayworth,  & Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder'......if you see them to day you can kinda see the effect they were going for; in "Murder' a shot of the desk with the lamp in your face, etc....

and OH when the first LP (today called 'vinyl') came out!!!!!!  we were used to the old 78s;;;;the record spun around really fast, at 78 rpms per minute, thus the name.........first time I saw an LP I could not BELIEVE that the music wasn't sounding draggy, but just like regular music!!!

and Hi-Fi......another sensation,,,,,,,followed by the first STERO RECORDS........again, 'huuuuge'.....

oh my I better stop as I could on for much more.

But I sure hope that you younger people can look back when YOU are older at the many amazing things coming out NOW.......

we shall see!!!!!!

thanks for listening!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2017 9:15 AM MST