Discussion » Questions » Family » Were you the favorite of your parents, or was it one of your siblings? How did that work out?

Were you the favorite of your parents, or was it one of your siblings? How did that work out?

I think that regardless of what parents say to their children, they always have a secret (and sometimes not so secret) favorite child.
You know, he gets away with more things and seems to do no wrong.
What did that do for / to you, or the chosen sibling???

Posted - February 28, 2017

Responses

Sorry WW.  I have cats.  The unicorn will have to wait.  
      March 1, 2017 12:55 PM MST

I'm afraid so.

rules of engagement
      March 1, 2017 1:04 PM MST

You are now!
      March 1, 2017 7:57 AM MST

<3 

March 2, 2017 7:54 AM MST

There were never no favorites in our house......there was though one cheeky kid that could get away with almost anything with her endless pranks and crazy antics .......she's never really changed even though she a tiny bit older now.... :)p This post was edited by Nice Jugs at March 4, 2017 4:16 PM MST
      February 28, 2017 7:18 PM MST

• Seems like maybe there could have perhaps been one a little more favorite than the rest after all. )
    Thanks NJ
      March 1, 2017 7:25 AM MST

I've always been Papa's girl....my siblings accepted it wholeheartedly...I resemble him in a lot of ways,...I inherited more of him and less of my Mom. That didn't make me a pampered brat, I assure you;))
      February 28, 2017 7:44 PM MST

• Are you sure Ms V?? )
      March 1, 2017 7:27 AM MST

• I was more of an imposition. I can understand that, now, to a point, but...

My older sibligs were 15, 13 and 9 years older than me. I was born when Dad was 53 and Mum was 41. I have a younger brother. They didn't want more kids and while Dad mostly ignored us Mum made a habit of telling people she hadn't wanted us. She handed us over to my 13 year old sister who did the best job she could but she was only a little girl herself and shouldn't have had the responsibility. I really appreciate what she did for us but am unable to look back to my parents with affection.
      February 28, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• Thanks Mr D.
    Sometimes I think that it amazing how a lifetime is not enough to free ourselves from the influences of childrenhood.
    Coming from such uncertainty, you having accomplished the things you share here is a huge credit upon yourself.
    Thanks for sharing such intimate story.
      March 1, 2017 7:35 AM MST

• Thanks, Lago. My sister is 93 now and has a family her own. It's significant that as soon as she was old enough she moved to another city where she made a good life for herself. I understood now why she wanted to get away.
      March 1, 2017 12:57 PM MST

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Didge, I'm hoping you know the life you lived as a child was necessary for you to become the terrific man you are now.

This post was edited by Harry at March 4, 2017 4:16 PM MST
      March 1, 2017 8:07 AM MST

To the best of my recollection, if they had a favorite, they kept it a secret.
      February 28, 2017 8:18 PM MST

• Maybe they didn't. Sure.
    I know many parents do. I know I do too. 
    That could be a question all by itself you know?
    Thank you Beans.
      March 1, 2017 7:43 AM MST

• Nope it wasn't me it was my older sister, all I ever heard was "why can't you be more like your sister, your sister never does that".  Parents didn't worry in those days about a child's feelings.  I moved away from home as soon as I could support myself.
      February 28, 2017 9:35 PM MST

• That sucks Y, do think it was maybe equally difficult for your sister?
    In my case, I was your sister. As the oldest, I was supposed to be the example, and the burden of being the favorite can be pretty heavy sometimes. What do you think?
    I don't want you to think Im minimizing your experience, I am not.
    Thanks btw for responding.
      March 1, 2017 7:41 AM MST

• I don't think she was under any burden at all in fact she loved being the golden child.  She wore tweeds and lace up shoes in her teens, her idea of a great Saturday night was to buy a big bag of sweets and eat the whole thing (yes she's huge now).  She used to try to get me in trouble with our parents by inventing things I supposedly had done.  We exchange Christmas cards now and that's the extent of our relationship.
      March 6, 2017 12:56 PM MST

• It was like that with my little sister.
    I think that this cannot be good for a kid, hence the question. My sister grew up expecting from the world the same attentions my mother gave her. She went ahead and married some doctor guy. 
    The last conversation we had was about all the things she HAD to endure during her.latest trip to Europe. 
    But see, I don't know how much of that comes from her having been raised like a princess (yes, she was actually referred to as that), or if she would have grown up to be like that regardless.
    Do you know what I mean?
      March 7, 2017 3:27 PM MST

I heard that most of my life.  I was always asked why I couldn't be more like my older brother or my younger sister.

It would take me years to understand my own self worth.  Looking at how my siblings handle things today, I feel very lucky to be me.
      March 1, 2017 12:36 PM MST

• I agree it does affect how you feel about yourself but uppermost in my mind was that I never wanted to be like my sister.  Yes you're right looking at her today I do feel thankful that I walked away from that situation she grew up to be a hypochondriac and still having temper tantrums according to my other relatives.  My parents did her no favours by treating her as though she were perfect.
      March 6, 2017 1:02 PM MST

Not being favored in the formative years does make some of us work a little harder on ourselves.  

March 6, 2017 1:08 PM MST

I was a 'Daddy's Girl" so I was my dad's favorite. I really don't remember my mom having favorites. She had the same rules for me and my siblings. My siblings and I had our normal arguments, but nothing serious.  I was the youngest of the family and the 'surviving' twin, so I believe that made a difference. I WAS spoiled and I own that, but I was also spoiled by my siblings.  So everything worked out well for everybody.  My remaining siblings and I are still close.
      March 1, 2017 7:54 AM MST

• That's sorta how it was with my little sister you know. But im not sure if she grew up as cool with it as you did. I think it is awesome you guys are still close. Thanks Super.
      March 1, 2017 8:30 AM MST

I grew up with 6 brothers and a sister who is 16 years older than I am.  So there wasn't the sibling rivalry like in some families.  My  brothers and sister were my bodyguards...Lol  
      March 1, 2017 9:02 AM MST

What a true blessing SA.  Your parents must have been incredible people.  
      March 1, 2017 9:26 AM MST