Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » When something begins to break....

When something begins to break....

You notice some frayed wiring or your breaks aren't work too efficiently.  Do you immediately tend to the problem or wait till it is a real problem?

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

• I try and fix it as soon as I can.  I might access that it's not dire and make a patch until money and time are more available if it's minor or I can halt the progress.
    If it's wiring in seldom used area I might disconnect it or flip the breaker until a little later if I got a big plate at the time.  Might  put up with a slow leak on a garden tractor tire for awhile.
      March 14, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

• You have the benefit of knowledge and ability of doing repairs yourself.   I, sadly, was very negligent in learning even rather basic stuff so repairs must be taken somewhere and paid for.  This increases the tendency of waiting too long to act. 
      March 14, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

• I learned a lot from the mistakes of others growing up about that stuff.  At a young age I had a fascination with tools and begged my parents for a work bench for birthday or Christmas.   I still have that bench I got when I was 9.

The internet really comes on handy for that type of stuff. Just about any problem is documented on it now and how to slow it down or tackle it is out there in great detail.   It's not letting it intimidate you that is the real obstacle. The fear of making it worse.   Thing is though, if it's already broken,  it needs to get fixed anyway.   

Electrical and gas though is often a different story.  Mistakes are deadly with those. Plumbing repairs are pretty straight forward if you research the problem.  The worst thing that can happen is having to use a shut off until the guy comes if you screw it up.  They have made so many "lego parts" for it now that you don't even need to buy expensive tools for a proper fix often.  Busted copper line and now torch?   Shark bite it.
      March 14, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

I wait until it's a real problem.  

March 14, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

• Depends on what it is... I can be a bit of a perfectionist.. if it looks horrible that annoys me and I want to replace or repair it... I kinda like mending and improving things around the house and garden...   If it's my car... as in brakes.. well I think I would worry about it being dangerous.. don't want me killed now do we :P I am very ultra valuable :P  SO I think on balance I am probably a get it fixed before it becomes too big a problem kind. 
      March 14, 2017 10:33 AM MDT

Well, frayed wiring works as well as non-frayed wiring. The only problem is when you get clumsy. So you have some room there. But when you need brakes and don't have them, you are in trouble.
      March 14, 2017 11:17 AM MDT

• It works in a sense, but not really.   The chance of an arc is always there Insulated wiring is way to close for proper performance. Sure they used bare wiring at one time with ceramic insulators on the wall.  However the wiring was spaced to prevent that to some degree.

So no, frayed wiring doesn't work just as well.
      March 14, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

You are only one flip of a switch or one pump of a pedal away from disaster in both of those scenarios.

Both need to be fixed NOW.
      March 14, 2017 11:45 AM MDT

sometimes things break and you dont even know theyre broken, i just got this job handing out samples in stores and im allowed to sit cause of a bad knee so i took this cane with a chair on it, shouldve known better the thing broke when i was sitting on it, so annoying, it was brand new too
      March 14, 2017 11:51 AM MDT

• There's a German parable about a wealthy old man who gave his young neighbour a box. "This box is magic," he said. "If you hold it next to everything you own once every day you will become wealthy too."

The man followed instructions and his life prospered but when he was himself old he decided to open the box. It contained nothing but a couple of pebbles. He realised then that by inspecting everything he owned once a day he saw when something needed to be repaired, and he attended to it.

It was caring for his possessions, repairing and restoring them at need, that made him wealthyu.

March 14, 2017 12:07 PM MDT

Based on many years of personal experience when ever I see something needing repairs or replacement I get it done one way or another. (Especially now-a-days with the costs of everything going up and up.) If I cannot get it replaced or repaired I will shut it off and / or stop using it.
      March 14, 2017 2:51 PM MDT