Discussion » Questions » Emotions » When was the last time you argued with an on-duty law enforcement officer, and what was it about?

When was the last time you argued with an on-duty law enforcement officer, and what was it about?

Posted - March 25, 2017

Responses

• I have never done that or ever have one give me reason I feel I needed to.
      March 25, 2017 1:16 PM MDT

• I have never argued with one either. Never had a reason too. Always gotten along fine with Coppers. I had a good looking female Sheriff's officer living a couple of houses down and I can't remember ever meeting a nicer person. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 25, 2017 4:54 PM MDT
      March 25, 2017 1:38 PM MDT

• Long story but I'll try to cut it up.

When we were out cycling, my wife was badly bitten by a dog owned by a local police sergeant. If he'd offered assistance that would have been the end of it but he told us he was a policeman and it wouldn't do any good to complain. Red rag to a bull. 

When I got Mrs Didge to the hospital I headed straight for the police station to lodge a complaint and the constable on reception said, "And where were you and your wife riding your bikes?' I flew at the kid and said, "How the hell did you know we were cycling? He's been on the phone already, hasn't he?" I cleaned that up for aM but the language was pretty ripe.

He might have been young but he wasn't the least bit ruffled. "You're still wearing your cycling clothes, sir." Talk about making an idiot of myself.
      March 25, 2017 3:07 PM MDT

Ha ha ha ha, talk about getting to the punch line!  I was all up in arms to side with you until I read that part!  Great story, Mate!

:)
      March 25, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

• I've never argued with a police officer. Well, that's not true. My neighbor across the street is the police chief and we argued about whether steak or hamburger was the better choice for a bbq, lol.
      March 25, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

Been quite some time...
      March 25, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

My mom used to work as a correctional officer and we shared a car. She did a ride share to work, but I'd drive her the 10-15 minutes to the pick up/ drop off location. At the time, I was 17, still at an age where my mom watched me like a hawk when I drove and she'd monitor my speed. My son was somewhere between 1-2 at the time and he had a really bad cold. I got him up that morning and knew he didn't feel well, but we had to be at the pick up point early... I want to say 5 or 6am. My son was super fussy on the drive there and he threw up all over the place. I cleaned him up as best as I could. By that time I realized he had a fever too, but didn't know how high because I didn't have a thermometer. We headed home, but he was still having minor eruptions as we left the gas station. Nothing I could do but try to get him home quickly.

I hadn't even gone a mile when I got pulled over for speeding. The limit was 65... how I could have gotten an old beat up Hyundai to accelerate more than 65mph in less than a mile is a mystery to me. I still don't think it's possible I did, let alone with my mom watching me. The officer starts his spiel, my son wailing in the background...  "How fast do you think you were going?" Truth be told, I have no idea. I wasn't watching. I didn't pass anyone and I was with the flow of traffic, plus I had barely pulled out of the gas station. Maybe I ticked him off by not giving an answer, I don't know, but the next thing I know, he's telling me to get out of the car because he can't stand the smell of vomit.

Man, you do not want to mess with a mama bear. I tried to politely explain that I needed to get my son home, medicated, and cleaned up. I'm sitting there with an obviously very sick baby, my mom still in her CO uniform, and the guy tells me I can get out or he'll arrest me. Seriously. So, we sat there, my son outright bawling in the back seat, covered in vomit... my mom wasn't even allowed to get him out of his seat, while the jerk spent 15 minutes writing me a ticket. And, he used pace speed. He guessed how fast I was going. He had no freaking idea.

I usually love the police. I'm a law-abiding citizen and appreciate everything they do, but that day, that one guy... I will remember him for the rest of my life. Something pissed him off and he took it out on me.

FYI, I tried to fight the ticket. We were in a very small town. The judge had a bunch of tickets he was dealing with that day. He talked about how we'd all lose if we tried to fight our tickets and then offered a piece of candy from the dish at his podium for anyone who would just plead guilty and go home. I kid you not. I said I was going to fight it because they didn't have any proof I had sped. The judge addressed the officer by his first name (there's a warning sign for ya) and began discussing with him how he calculated my speed. The judge then reaffirmed with me that I would lose if I fought it, and suggested I just take driving school. I gave in.  As I left the courthouse, I caught the judge and officer chatting... "How are the kids these days?" Really. Real freaking nice. It's been almost 20 years now and those "people" still make me irate.
      March 25, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  You had to go through all that on the day of indicent and didn't even get vindication in court!

:(
      March 25, 2017 5:12 PM MDT

ive never had issues with the police so i dont argue with them
      March 25, 2017 9:40 PM MDT