Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why can't the US exercise fiscal responsibility and provide good healthcare for all?

Why can't the US exercise fiscal responsibility and provide good healthcare for all?

Is it cheaper to let people drop dead from lack of proper healthcare rather than ask the wealthy and the corporations to pay a fair Tax and to reevaluate & prioritize government spending?

Posted - March 30, 2017

Responses

Just curious. What does the government use for money - like for roads and bridges, and safety services, and the army and navy? 
      March 31, 2017 12:52 AM MDT

Originally, indirect taxation and limited corporations that were established for a set period of time, for the public good, and they were not given special privileges of personhood.  

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/corporate-accountability-history-corporations-us/

Now we have money created through debt, and transnational corporations that control the bulk of economies -  and thus people - worldwide.

Don't participate in their banking scheme?  Die.  Just ask Saddam and Qaddafi...
      March 31, 2017 1:22 AM MDT

• I don't think most people realize that corporations are government creations and that corporations actually are tool of government to extort and control the citizens and create dependence on it while giving it control of the wealth.
      March 31, 2017 1:28 AM MDT

No, they do not.  Which is why I tell them every time I see that the opportunity presents itself...like right now. This post was edited by Bozette at March 31, 2017 1:33 AM MDT
      March 31, 2017 1:31 AM MDT

There have been lots of cultures where people did all those things without a central government. Are you suggesting that people are too stupid to make a flat place for traveling without a uniformed pickpocket to pay for it?
      March 31, 2017 1:56 AM MDT

Name one.
      March 31, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

• Louie makes a good point.  What do you drive your car on or how do you cross those rivers and streams? How does a society protect itself??? Taxation is a way to ensure that every person contributes to the success of the society they live in.  People who don;t want to pay their share to their country are greedy deadbeats who are happy to live off others contributions
      March 31, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

• True, but what is the primary responsibility of government is the question and the debate.   You know me well and I you to understand that we see the role of central government in very different angles yet neither of us see the others as inherently evil or malicious how we arrive at them.  If more people could do that certain levels of compromise would begin to take place.
      March 31, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

GJ, it is a lousy point. There were roads before there was a government, and this nation won a war against the most powerful force on Earth with no central government. Your reasoning is entirely circular, first assuming something about "their share" and then judging them because they don't want to pay it.

The colonies fought a war mainly because of a tax, and the first thing congress did after the war was to enact a tax exactly like it. G. W. personally led the army to collect the tax at gunpoint.* That is robbery, no matter what bull stuff you pull out of a dark place to try to make it seem justifiable.

*Google "whiskey rebellion" to study the story for yourself.
      March 31, 2017 9:24 PM MDT

• No..it's not lousy...

First..those roads were dirt paths through the woods.  When joe Rich-douche has to repair his BMW all time because of the poor condition of roads...we'll see who whines 

Secondly, society has changed, there are more people in the world. We do not live in the 1700's.  The primary reason the colonies started the war was because we had taxation without representation.  

Taxation is NOT robbery when it's used responsibly for the betterment of a civilization. I'm all for Universal healthcare, college for everyone just like the public school systems grades 1-12.

The Wealthy have been screwing people for a very long time. I'm prepared for and welcome an entire shift in our socio-ecomic system and advocate a complete & total redistribution of wealth. Less than 10% of the US population have more wealth than the bottom 90% combined and it's not because the bottom 90% are lazy. 

Any system that pins an iintrinsic value on human life is an evil system. Crony-Predatory Capitalism is a cancer.  People are being brainwashed into believing that it is Democracy and freedom. It's nothing more than greed
      April 1, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

Well, if we can't agree on what is or is not robbery, then we just can't discuss this topic.
      April 1, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

not sure why
      April 3, 2017 3:55 PM MDT