Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Ethical question...

Ethical question...

A work place rewards employees with meal cards valued at $6.00.  An employee makes a $7.00 purchase with two cards.  Would it be wrong for the cashier to put in the dollar then keep the second meal card?  The over all money exchange is the same.

Posted - June 10, 2017

Responses

• If I'm understanding the question correctly, it's a messed up system. Sounds more like a rigged system. 
      June 10, 2017 8:39 PM MDT

• Perhaps I can clarify.  An employer rewards some extra effort or such with a meal coupon worth $6.00.  An employee has gotten a meal costing $7.00. He has two cards but no cash.  So he gives both cards to the cashier.  The cashier rings in one card, $6.00, then puts in, out of pocket, the remaining dollar then keeps the second card for his own use.  The over all transactions are the same value $12.00 ( two $6.00 meal cards).  Has the cashier acted acceptably? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 10, 2017 8:50 PM MDT
      June 10, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

• Got it now ... that would be a HELL NO. I would think in most cases, a person (cashier) would be reprimanded or even fired for such. 
      June 10, 2017 8:56 PM MDT

This is an ethics question.  :)

It would not be ethical for the cashier to do this.  That card was not issued to her; it was part of someone elses compensation package.   
      June 10, 2017 8:53 PM MDT

No. The cashier has stolen from the company. It wasn't his to take and that should be enough.

However, there's probably more going on with the program and how it's set up. That's a very odd system for a company to use- to set a dollar amount instead of saying "one free meal" or giving the guy gift cards where he could roll over the balance. It might make more sense if it said "Free meal with a $6 maximum value." Or, maybe the full allowance is available for the recipient to spend as he wishes, but the remainder is forfeited. In either case, the company is likely banking on the person not spending the full amount, and that's taken into account when they budget. If people abuse the system, the company will probably wind up having to cancel it. One person one time doesn't make a huge dip in profits, but if many people do it or it becomes habitual, it can be a real drain. It's sad when companies set up ways to reward employees and people take advantage of that.
      June 10, 2017 9:20 PM MDT

• You have the right of it.  The meal card is worth a maximum of $6.00. The employee is responsible for any balance over that amount.  Likewise if the employee gets a meal costing less than $6.00 the remaining value is forfeit.
      June 10, 2017 11:42 PM MDT

I'm too drunk for mathematical questions.. or.. that's just my excuse for being too dumb to understand how numbers work. they freak me out.. a little.. :/
      June 10, 2017 9:54 PM MDT

The amount of $7 has been settled. So no dispute with that. But the cashier is now in possession of a meal card that wasn't given to him. If a supervisor or manager finds out, the cashier will at the very least lose the meal card, and be a dollar out of pocket. But the consequences may be worse depending on how serious the superiors see the situation. He/she runs the risk of being written-up or terminated. 
      June 10, 2017 11:10 PM MDT

There should be 'some' type of change you get back ... you were realistically owed 5 bucks back. (person getting a meal).. but if they don't do 'cash' back, then a 5 dollar meal card should have been issued.. in some form/way.
      June 10, 2017 11:26 PM MDT

I think it's wrong.. it's theft... even if no one gets hurt it still strikes me as wrong.. 
      June 11, 2017 2:48 AM MDT

There is probably a rule about it. A lot of meals will cost less than $6 and cashiers could skim a lot of money by putting in cash and keeping cards.  
      June 11, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

i think they need to ask the manager if its okay to do that
      June 11, 2017 5:50 PM MDT