Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » As you get older do you find that you are thinking more and more about things you never thought much about before? If so, like what?

As you get older do you find that you are thinking more and more about things you never thought much about before? If so, like what?

Posted - July 7, 2017

Responses

I don't think that was ever me.  I was born looking around and seeing what would happen if something other than the normal happened to me.

I was born to be an adventurer where truth is concerned.   I remember questioning everything I was taught in grade school about God and the Catholic Church and I quit being a Catholic at age 13 because of what they tried to convince me of.   They thought that I should just accept whatever they fed my young mind.  They had to do that, because they had no clue what was real and they were taught the same things, so why wouldn't I go along with it?

That is my first memory of being a rebel.
      July 7, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shar.
      July 9, 2017 2:48 AM MDT

I suppose that's one of the main points of my existence--not necessarily as a given, but as a result of what I value. I'm neither one to insist on novelty nor to cherish change for the sheer sake of it, but there is certainly no use in revolving around the same issues, in the same manners, repeatedly. You could say I actually expect to find myself considering ideas I hadn't entertained before, although unable to anticipate what those ideas will be, and that's part of the freshness of it all.

It feels good to reflect on topics such as art, and come to the conclusion that I was completely clueless about them even a short while ago; but that's a conclusion I always end up making, invariably, and it's pleasing to know that--barring something else unexpected--I should be able to deem myself a fool some time from today as well.
      July 7, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

Very nice, Mr. D!!!!
      July 7, 2017 11:30 AM MDT

Hehe, thank you, Ms. S. to the R.! I really like the first memory of being a rebel that you described, and at the age of 13, no less (which was probably when I was at my most conventional). How knowledgeable you've become since deciding to go your own way.
      July 8, 2017 1:52 AM MDT

You can't react to things you haven't experienced nor to people who haven't entered you life yet. Each day brings something new that wasn't there the day before. Whether you like it or not you are forced to consider it, investigate it, come to some conclusion about it. You say " there is certainly no use in revolving around the same issues, in the same manners, repeatedly. I take exception to that. There are some concerns one has that never change. They don't just solve themselves nor do you just stop caring about them. As new players join the game the stakes change. Your approach may differ but not your core beliefs. Don'tcha think? Thank you for your thoughtful reply DG and Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      July 9, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

I agree with what I believe is your point about maintaining one's principal values, and that doesn't conflict with what I said, which is why I particularly chose the word "revolving." Those core beliefs--pacifism, for example, or freedom of speech, and equal rights--could hardly be in motion; I might one day reconsider the manner in which they come to expression, but never can there be a day where I reckon "eh, not bombarding people isn't really that important," so to speak. Thank you too, Rosie, and Happy Sunday!
      July 9, 2017 5:24 AM MDT

Precisely! You're welcome DG and thanks right back at thee! :)
      July 9, 2017 6:32 AM MDT

• "Where did I go wrong?"   
      July 7, 2017 9:51 PM MDT

Do you mean "what could I have done better?" whistle? Making mistakes is how you learn, right? Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 9, 2017 2:55 AM MDT

• I suppose that is a gentler way of putting the question.
      July 9, 2017 9:16 PM MDT

"Gentler". No one has ever used that word in relation to me that I can recall m'dear. If that is in fact what you just did. In any case thank you for your reply! :)
      July 10, 2017 2:26 AM MDT

not really
      July 8, 2017 4:26 PM MDT