Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If you PRAY for those who PREY on others do you really think your God is pleased with you? Why?

If you PRAY for those who PREY on others do you really think your God is pleased with you? Why?

Posted - July 15, 2017

Responses

It is written, GOD does NOT like " those who PREY on others"...   Just one bible-example here...

Amos 5:11
    Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and ye take from him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine of them.
    Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and {g} ye take from him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine of them.

(g) You take both his money and also his food, with which he should live.
    Amos 5:12
    For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right.
    For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at July 16, 2017 12:18 PM MDT
      July 15, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Beans S/G and Happy Sunday to thee! ;)
      July 16, 2017 1:22 AM MDT

Every religion worth its salt has as its basic tenet, HELP EVER HURT NEVER.

The Witches believe FIRST DO YE  NO HARM

The Doctors believe the same.

The Buddhists.  Same

The Christians. Same.

The Muslims.  Same.

Etc.  Etc.  And any idiot that takes up the cause of harming their brothers and sisters to gain some modicum of an easier life for themselves, has no idea what God is all about.  So, no religion is going to be effective for that kind of egomaniac.

No matter what title they give themselves. 
      July 15, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

I think the praying for others supports the premise that if you seek revenge then you become like the predator in your negative actions, it's not so much about changing the other person, but protecting your spiritual self, avoid becoming what you hate.
      July 15, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

Yes. Becoming what you hate would be the worst fate. In fact I shall ask that question and give you props indirectly  kj. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      July 16, 2017 1:24 AM MDT

Happy Sunday to you also RosieG
      July 16, 2017 12:16 PM MDT

• It depends what you pray for. I believe that praying for the salvation of those who prey on others or yourself is what should be done. However, to pray for their destruction isn't a good idea. Why?

Romans 12:17-21  "Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Matthew 6:14-15  "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

July 15, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

Beautiful. If everyone applied Romans 12:17-21 as well as the principals found in the sermon on the mount, there would be no more wars. 

(Matthew 5:43-47) “You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?
      July 15, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Hezekiah and Happy Sunday! :)
      July 16, 2017 1:25 AM MDT

• RosieG, you're welcome and have a happy Sunday as well.
      July 16, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

yes cause at least you prayed
      July 15, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

If you PRAY for those who PREY on others do you really think your God is pleased with you? Why?

==========================================================

I think God would be pleased with you if you PRAY for those who PREY on others because you’d be praying that they be guided to God and become godly or at least stop preying on others.

God might be even more pleased with you if you could personally stop them preying on others or persuade them not to do so through reasoning.
      August 1, 2017 6:32 AM MDT