Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you believe it's possible to make significant changes to one's personality at any stage of life?

Do you believe it's possible to make significant changes to one's personality at any stage of life?

Posted - July 17, 2017

Responses

That's a realistic evaluation.

If you are an introvert, you probably can't change yourself into an extrovert; but if you are less than comfortable around people, you can certainly change things that may be causing you to feel too uncomfortable around groups of people.

It also turns out that a lot of things that affect how we act are interconnected---and by that I mean if you cut one cord that is hindering you, chances are it is going to take the tension of other connected cords and the things begin to unravel backwards in a most pleasing way.

And of course, the more pain you are in, the greater the motivation to make changes.

July 17, 2017 6:33 PM MDT

• Yes. I'm going through such a change right now.
    Life is all about change.  
    Sometimes there comes a moment when you have to say "ENOUGH"  when your life has become void of love, happiness, and joy.
    You need to do what is necessary to survive and be happy

July 17, 2017 5:03 PM MDT

Sounds like a wise outlook and I wish you much luck on your journey.  :-)
      July 17, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

• Aye. Thank you kindly. The one thing that I;ve found is that I now posses the wisdom and patience to act & behave with responsibility and compassion rather than with hast and thoughtlessness. 

I don't know where my journey is leading, but it is such a fun voyage. I believe the tickets were bought for me and someone very, very special to me long before the stars appeared in the sky above us. 
      July 17, 2017 5:12 PM MDT

The thought of you two traveling together makes me smile. Just enjoy the journey my dear, wherever it may lead. 
      July 17, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

This is such an inspiring answer! I've come to this sort of wisdom as well - though I am certainly not fluent in the act of "reacting with compassion" a lot of the time. 

I'm happy for your new outlook and your new journey and the rest of life to come for you!
      July 20, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

Of course.

A transorbital procedure or extensive ECT usually does the trick. And if that doesn't work a sharp blow to the head will. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at July 20, 2017 4:34 PM MDT
      July 17, 2017 5:13 PM MDT

Well, that would explain some of the characters around here. 
      July 17, 2017 5:27 PM MDT

yes
      July 17, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

Yes. Change is never easy, especially when you're trying to change something ingrained. You have to not only recognize the need for the change, but also understand why you've been doing the things you have, and then you have to actually make the changes and supporting changes to see it through. I think we see it with people less as they age because we often become complacent. We stop being introspective and don't see anything wrong with our ways. That probably happens to a lesser degree with the folks on AM- we're here because we're natural questioners. We like to examine things from every angle, so I bet we're more prone to make changes and succeed as well. 
      July 17, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

I think with aging also comes a loss of confidence in the ability to change, perhaps even a sense of "why bother?" The motivation and will have to be strong. There are also physical and mental health realities which come into play. 
      July 17, 2017 6:35 PM MDT

I agree. It's certainly not easy to change and the more ingrained the habits are, the more unpacking and homework we have to do to change them. Just Asking makes a great point - to change, we have to understand not only where we're going but where we came from!
      July 20, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

Yes emphatically so.
    Speaking I am of
    an experience of your
    Absolute Self within.
    That experience transforms
    one into an Enlightened Being,
    Experiencing that perfect Bliss and peace
    found nowhere else.
      July 17, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

Thanks Baba!
      July 17, 2017 6:17 PM MDT

Well, unless one is mentally ill or infirm or some such where they are stuck in time and the brain is degenerating, you certainly can.

People who know they can, certainly can.

People who think they can, may do this.

People who believe there is no way in hell they can, will make that dream come true as well.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 17, 2017 6:49 PM MDT
      July 17, 2017 6:45 PM MDT

Yes, much of it does come down to a self fulfilling prophecy.   
      July 17, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

"If you argue for your limitations you get to keep them." So true!
      July 20, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

Not really. The 'significant changes' mostly happen during infancy and childhood. after that there is very little change.

A rabid conservative may become a rabid liberal, but please notice here that the unchanging part is 'rabid'. Once you have 'learned' that, it will not change. Or can you give me an instance where a rabid XXX became a calm and reasoned YYY ? This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at July 18, 2017 1:31 AM MDT
      July 18, 2017 1:17 AM MDT

Some other folks would beg to differ. Check out Tom Jackson's post. 
      July 18, 2017 1:35 AM MDT

Yes, I read his post. All kudos to TJ.
      July 18, 2017 1:39 AM MDT

Children look forwards to becoming adults, and they will do and accept most anything to get there.

But when old farts like me look forwards, there i a headstone there. Why hurry?

I know what I like and I like what I know ;-))
      July 18, 2017 1:25 AM MDT

Lol.... fair enough. Thanks! 
      July 18, 2017 1:37 AM MDT

I definitely think this is possible. I have done this just within the last year or so. I used to be extremely critical and pessimistic and dependent on other people's perceptions of me and my purpose in their lives. After a tough event in my life about two years ago, I spent nearly half a year in a very dark state and then decided that I needed to pull myself up and out of it. I learned more about myself and who I wanted to be. I decided that I wanted to love my life and be happy (more often than not) regardless of who was in it. I wanted to do what I loved to do. And now here I sit, in a new city with a new outlook on life and a much calmer, introspective and happy personality. 
      July 20, 2017 4:40 PM MDT