Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » At what age should a person be scared if they hurt their back?

At what age should a person be scared if they hurt their back?

I was doing chin ups this morning and I felt something weird in my back, so whatever I ran for a while and then something tightened up in my back and now I'm sore.
I skipped going for a swim and I'm just resting.
I feel like I should feel better tomorrow, but at 37 years old is it more serious when your back does weird things?
I used to see older guys I worked with suffer when their backs went out so anything to do with back pain scares me.
I don't wanna have long term issues.

Posted - July 27, 2017

Responses

If anything to do with back pain scares you and you don't want to have long term issues, then consult with a physician. A person of any age could be justifiably scared.
      July 27, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

Any age can be a danger... seriously, I get an aching back if I have been particularly busy doing chores but that's always been the case.. nothing new, it always eases after I rest a bit..  I did hurt my back a few weeks ago..but after a few days it got better.. I am 52 - and my back's no more or less likely to hurt than it was 20 years ago.. 

My son injured his back in a work place neglect thing... he was 23 at the time - it took him 4 years to recover... maybe he will always have some residual weakness.. 

I think age isn't so much a factor, more what you do with the back.. 
      July 27, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

probably at any age, go get it checked out by your doctor
      July 27, 2017 2:50 PM MDT

Does that make sense?

If you hurt your back go to the doctor.

It doesn't matter how OLD you are.
      July 27, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

Definitely no doctor here but hurting your back doing chin ups sounds likely to be a strain? Bending, twisting, lifting or falling seem to be the usual culprits in permanent or severe injuries. Many people have bulging disc and some never have a problem with it. When I was young I was working out and maxed out on military press. My back was super tight and then a friend and I went out to throw the football. I stripped my ligaments and that took over 6 months to mend. I don't think I had any permanent damage from that. I now have a few bulging disc as well as two pars fractures. I think that the disc give me more problems that the fractures. Be careful how you lift stuff (bend with knees etc) and don't lift too much. You're muscles may be able to handle it but your disc may not. 
      July 27, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

• Thanks, I hope it is just a strain.

July 27, 2017 3:40 PM MDT

Me too. Let us know how you are when you log on next.
      July 28, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

So odd. I was just writing for a physical therapist about back injuries last night. Obviously, the best thing to do is to have it checked out, but with that said, there's nothing particularly worrisome about what you've mentioned. Age is only one factor, but there are lots of possible factors. Yes, as people age, our discs do start to break down some, and this can cause shifting of discs, bulging discs, and other things. But, even those aren't a death sentence, and the amount of degeneration has a lot to do with how well you take care of yourself and genetic factors. A whole lot of the more serious issues don't tend to kick in until 60 or so. The exception is if you've been rough with your body or carry extra weight. So, more than likely, you were too tight when you started moving and you pulled something. Bed rest is actually not the best thing. You're supposed to keep moving as much as you feel comfortable with. Taking ibuprofen can help reduce some of the inflammation, so hopefully things relax and go back to how they should be. Most things like this heal up  within a few weeks on their own. Massage might be an option as well- it can help reduce inflammation and the tightness that caused the injury.

Going forward, you'd want to make sure your body is getting what it needs, which means no working out without stretching first. You may also want to do exercises aimed at improving your range of motion and flexibility. A PT can walk you through what's best for you, but basic stretches and things like yoga should be part of your routine if you're going to exercise. That way, your body is prepared for the twisting and such. 

Official disclaimer: This answer (and any other comments made by the poster) should be used for entertainment purposes only and is not intended to treat or diagnose any medical condition. If you feel you may have a medical condition, please seek the advice of a qualified medical professional, and not some random chick online. :)

July 27, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

• Thanks for the info Just Asking.
    It does hurt a lot, but I think I was too tight like you said.
    I was trying to stretch, but this cat that's outside always wants to follow me and rub against my legs, well I'm allergic to cats ever since I had 3 in my house, but that's a different story so anyway I have to like push this cat away nicely with my flip flop cause it's hot here and I wear shorts to exercise, but he keeps coming back so I couldn't stretch properly and I should've started slow.
    Anyway I feel like such a wuss because I used to do such crazy stuff and wake up with my hands bloody and  my head cracked my windshield on my truck one time when I hit a tree when I was 17 and I just walked home now I feel like I get hurt doing the simplest things.
    I think it's my ego that's injured more than anything?
    My son tried to massage where my back hurt, but it's still tight.
    Think I'll try a very hot bath to relax it, but it probably won't last so I'll probably just end up walking around for the next few days.
    I just wanna be strong again and go outside boo hoo hoo
    Thanks.
      July 27, 2017 5:50 PM MDT

• You were right I just needed to keep moving.
    After I had a bath I didn't think I would be able to get up it was so sore, but I went to work and by the time I was done it feels a lot better and I can dance while driving again, thanks.
      July 27, 2017 11:14 PM MDT

Cool, how many reps of chin-ups can you do in a max set?

:)
      July 28, 2017 12:35 AM MDT

• Honestly not many Randy I do more of a variety of different activities to get in shape.
    I'll run a big lap around this field on my property that has really tall grass and it's a challenge to get through then I stop in a building that has low rafters that are exposed and I jump up and hang and do about five chin ups varying the style and then I play basketball with my son or drive to the beach and swim all afternoon to help me lose any belly and get toned.
    Other than that I just work around the property carrying rocks and changing rims on my truck, cutting wood or anything that makes my arms and shoulders muscular.
    I just had a few lazy days, didn't stretch properly and should've started on something easier than those chin ups.
    Slowly I'm feeling better though and I can't wait to start running and working again because I love the rush of energy I get when I start to feel strong from staying on track and getting good exercise.
      July 28, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

I agree with everyone else here; there is never a good age to hurt your back. See your Doctor, just to be on the safe side.
      July 28, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

• My back is actually feeling a lot better today.
    Thanks everyone for the great advice and for being supportive. : )

July 29, 2017 11:17 PM MDT

All better now?
      August 1, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

• I really am.
    Today I went for my first good run since my back was weird.
    I did some push ups and jumping jacks too.
    I'm just getting started slowly and I made sure to stretch.
    I'm relieved that it seemed to have been some kind of strain or nerve around the shoulder blade?
    When I would lay on my back it was horrible and painful at night as if it was inflamed and causing problems.
    Once the inflanation went away it feels normal.
    I'm greatful and I'm gonna do a lot of activity for the rest of the summer.
    Thanks for asking. : )
      August 1, 2017 12:54 PM MDT