Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you find it painful to actually write, as in handwriting now that we mostly type everything?

Do you find it painful to actually write, as in handwriting now that we mostly type everything?

I used to be a real letter-writer, note-writer and would write just for the joy of the act of writing, (lol kinda like I do with typing now :P) but obviously now we mostly all type everything I must be out of practice. I had to complete a longgggggggggggggggg form today that had to be handwritten.. So painful, time consuming and my hand literally aches now.. I guess we are just not used to writing now? 

Posted - July 29, 2017

Responses

It is strange to think that handwriting is becoming obsolete! Everything is typing. I don't even write a check anymore. So maybe writing isn't painful because I hardly ever do it. I used to enjoy writing letters. And collecting beautiful stationery. So many things just heading toward extinction. Kinda sad.   :-(
      July 29, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

Exactly, that's how I feel - sad. Funny enough I had to write my first cheque in literally years today!  But yes, I think we are losing the skill of writing and I think we may well miss out on the wealth of information that we can determine from letters. No one is going to save emails and publish them later on... mostly they just get deleted. 
      July 29, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

I got back into sending postcards this year and it was such a fun thing to do again! I moved far enough away from most of my friends and family that now when I happen to be somewhere interesting I'll try to get a postcard and just write it there. I've gotten in the habit of carrying stamps with me as well.
      July 30, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

• "If you don't use it, you lose it." .... I heard that somewhere. :)
      July 29, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

Well, I will just have to make sure I keep using everything else - as I don't want to lose anything else :P
      July 29, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

• Good plan!
      July 29, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

No, I still write a lot. I've always loved calligraphy and I still carry around little notebooks to write in. It takes more time for me to try to type on my phone and the auto correct is too annoying.
      July 30, 2017 6:47 AM MDT

• No, I still like to hand write a lot of things.  One of the things I do at work requires hand writing. 
      July 30, 2017 6:57 AM MDT

no, it doesnt bother me to write stuff down
      July 30, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

I love handwriting! But yes, I've noticed that now if I do it for a long time at once my hand does get sore. But I do enjoy it and do it daily for various tasks. When I handwrite things I also try to throw in cursive every now and then because I don't ever want to forget it!
      July 30, 2017 5:25 PM MDT