Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » What, if any, kind(s) of music do you like which people who know you wouldn't necessarily expect you to like?

What, if any, kind(s) of music do you like which people who know you wouldn't necessarily expect you to like?

I am very into Gregorian chants and I also like Opera.. Honestly, no one who knows me would suspect :)

Posted - August 4, 2017

Responses

When listening to "OK Computer," I always like when this song appears.
    :)

"Fitter, Happier"

August 4, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

I heart Radiohead
      August 4, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

I like them, too -- if only for "OK Computer" album, the one I've heard the most. But I like anything I've heard by them.
      August 6, 2017 1:29 PM MDT

Most people whom I know, it seems to me, seem to expect me to be open to any kind of music.

I doubt it, but someone might be surprised that I LOVE the "Easy Listening" genre - - Percy Faith and His Orchestra, Ray Conniff, The Melochrino (sp?) Orchestra, etc. Or aka "Elevator Music"  --  but that term is probably outdated since I don't hear "Easy Listening" music in elevators anymore.

To me, music is rarely more satisfying than Percy Faith and His Orchestra's cover to "The Theme to 'A Summer Place.' "
    P.S. To "I-like-details" people -- Percy Faith did not write the theme to "A Summer Place" -- Max Steiner wrote the music and theme for the movie. Faith arranged and perforamed this famous version of the music theme.

August 4, 2017 5:10 PM MDT

• How about this performance by the Norrie Paramor Orchestra? My favourite. 

August 6, 2017 2:29 AM MDT

Hey, yeah, that's nice! I've never heard this arrangement/performers.
    I just love the tune, too, that I'd probably like it by anyone, maybe! Metallica or Marilyn Manson should do a cover to it.
      August 6, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

• The word "Muzak" has been a registered trademark since December 21, 1954 of Muzak LLC, although it dominated the market for so many years that the term is often used (especially when used with lowercase spelling) as a generic term for all background music. In 1981, Westinghouse bought the company and ran it until selling it to the Fields Company of Chicago, publishers of the Chicago Sun-Times, on September 8, 1986.

Henry Mancini - "Baby Elephant Walk"

August 6, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

Thanks, ALF! I love "Baby Elephant Walk," too! And Mancini!

Interesting stuff about Muzak, too. You've reminded me that I have a book somewhere (that I've never read) called "Elevator Music: The Complete Story of Muzak." (Or a title very similar to that.)

Loved listening to this as I typed. (Whoa -- unsure if I like that stereotyped ending phrase, though, ha! The rest is superb. Yeah, I know Mancini probably did that ending as a little joke.)
      August 6, 2017 1:39 PM MDT

• That's the same ending that my music file (mp3) has and although I've had it for a long time, I'm not sure if it's from the original album or not.
    The end of Al Jolson's Good Evening, Friends from the opening theme of his radio program got quite a bit of traction.
      August 6, 2017 2:34 PM MDT

Cool. People would expect me to like those. They would not expect me to like rap, but I do. Drake. Common. Kendrick Lamar. Chance the Rapper.  Eminem. Nicki Minaj. Rihanna. Jay-Z. Lil Wayne. Etc. 
      August 4, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

• Russian and Slavic Garage rock/punk
      August 4, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

That is EXACTLY what I would think you would be into.

What you would not be into?  Hawaiian music or boy bands. 
      August 4, 2017 6:06 PM MDT

• Fair enough, but I do kinda like Hawaiian music.   Boy bands not so much.
      August 4, 2017 6:10 PM MDT

• Delta Blues, the Big Band Sound and probably jazz.
      August 5, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

• I was brought up by my father to enjoy western light music, like Andy Williams, Elvis Presley, Beatles, Billy Vaughn  etc - music of his era (he's 72); my mother and most of my friends prefer Hindi movie songs, which we call Bollywood, after Bombay, the home of the Hindi film industry.

Over the last few years I was introduced by a very dear friend, a man 22 years older, to western classical music, and I've grown to love it. 

Here's one of my favourite short pieces of western classical music. You probably know it. 
    Edward Elgar's Salut d'amour.
    The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is conducted by Lawrance (note the spelling) Collingwood. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 6, 2017 1:40 PM MDT
      August 6, 2017 2:58 AM MDT

I still like my 80s heavy metal. But now listen to contemporary Christian music almost exclusively. 
      August 6, 2017 1:42 PM MDT