Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » I love to discuss and debate.. do you? I was thinking of something someone said on here the other day..

I love to discuss and debate.. do you? I was thinking of something someone said on here the other day..

It was about people who don't necessarily really want to discuss and debate.. And see I often ponder things that are said here.. I learn so much... even better I often end up looking up and researching things.. that's GOLD.  But I was thinking about the reasons why someone may not want to discuss and debate always in some circumstances.. 

For the most part I have found people willing and indeed able to discuss and debate things.. at work my colleagues and I very often have several differing opinions and we can discuss that and are able to understand other's perspectives...  But it is also true to say that sometimes one just cannot discuss and debate as when one tries, all logic, all facts and relevant information are ignored and what ensues is not a debate but nastiness.  

So pondering this.. that might be one of the reasons why someone who is generally a lover of debating, may avoid such in some circumstances and on some venues. 

Posted - August 12, 2017

Responses

• Yes, I love to discuss and debate and I believe that anything is potentially up for discussion and debate. I will not participate in a "debate" that has degraded into mudslinging and nastiness, however. 
      August 12, 2017 6:36 PM MDT

Absolutely.. that's how it should be. Once people descend into insults then you know there's no point in going further with the discussion.
      August 13, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

Some people don't know how to debate, especially those who are so truly biased that they assume their thoughts, ideas, opinions, beliefs and assumptions are the ONLY correct ones, and that anyone who doesn't fall lock-step into those molds is unintelligent, bigoted, close-minded, stupid, etc. There are folks who merely claim to want debate, but only with like-minded people who will back them up on their own terms. 

~
      August 13, 2017 3:28 AM MDT

August 13, 2017 3:42 AM MDT

My sentiments EXACTLY. ahahSHSHSHHSHSH
      August 13, 2017 5:36 PM MDT

You are probably correct on that one.. I think I was just pondering reasons why someone might say they like to debate, and be genuinely wanting to but may not be able to. For example I do genuinely love to debate.. I have had many, many a debate and love it.. I think it's because I am a Libra and can be quite the fence sitter - seeing merit to both sides... Where I struggle, in my own personal endeavours is when the other person or persons have no intention of debating - they just want to insult and demean..  SO I was extending my thought processes to reasons why... The older I get the more I find that few things are black or white... 
      August 13, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

You and I share the Zodiac in common. Hmmm . . .
    ~
      August 13, 2017 12:35 PM MDT

depends on what im discussing
      August 13, 2017 5:34 PM MDT

Not really. I like to fiddle with words and joke around. This post was edited by carbonproduct at August 13, 2017 8:23 PM MDT
      August 13, 2017 5:35 PM MDT