Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » What do you think of meeting people just to marry, without much dating in your 20s ?
D&D

What do you think of meeting people just to marry, without much dating in your 20s ?

Posted - August 13, 2017

Responses

Back in the 1970's , I matched up two male buddies with chicks that they eventually married and still are.  I don't do that anymore. Sorry.
      August 13, 2017 11:01 AM MDT

Nah, I didn't mean that I was just asking what others think of this way of meeting potential life partners. I'm too romantic to actually do such a thing, it would feel too .. unnatural of sorts.
      August 13, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

The problem today is how many people are as pure as the driven yellow snow. 
      August 13, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

Wellllllllllll there are, in many countries *arranged* marriages... but while some of them are happy enough, often they don't work out and then both are trapped in deeply unhappy situations... it can be as entrapping for the men as the women - women in particular have few avenues of escape from violence and rape within marriage in those countries.

So with that exception...I can tell you that I have been asked by many men to find them a girlfriend or wife.. I never do... simply because unless I know them very, very, very well then I truly cannot *recommend* them - it's such a huge thing to do that, what if the person I was recommending was a mad axe murderer --not suggesting you are, you sound nice but just saying that in general it's a bad idea.. 
      August 13, 2017 11:07 AM MDT

That's also precisely the reason why I don't set anyone up. I cannot be held responsible if the relationship gets awry and I'd be forced to pick sides or be blamed for them meeting in the first place. I don't mean to actually do that but it is commonly done here because young adults barely mingle, have a chance to meet others or are too shy. I guess some do screw around but that's a minority. I'm just surprised how there are older people just cool with it, and even young ones. It's unpredictable and dangerous. 

August 13, 2017 12:35 PM MDT

Totally agree... in life and relationships we shouldn't sit back and get someone else to do all the work.. we have to go out and find/get it for ourselves.. 
      August 13, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

sorry but i cant even get my own dates let alone dates for someone else
      August 13, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

I've matched up a few people who have gotten married and stayed married. The times they've thanked me I've said, "Oh, no. You're on your own with this. I only introduced you. The rest is on you." That's true. I don't see harm in letting family members introduce you to people, especially those who have a good eye for people. It's just one way of networking, but you do have to have a connection with the person, obviously. If you're ready to meet someone and settle down, does it matter how you meet the person? I don't think so... not as long as they're a good match for you.
      August 13, 2017 9:15 PM MDT