Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » AnswerMug Challenge Series, Disprove the Stereotype Series: can you name any sitcom that does NOT include at least one

AnswerMug Challenge Series, Disprove the Stereotype Series: can you name any sitcom that does NOT include at least one

stereotypical character?  Usually it's the main character, but not always.  If none can be named, does that mean that situation comedy shows MUST rely on stereotypes in order to exist?
~

Posted - August 21, 2017

Responses

When it is fiction there is no such thing as a stereotype, just Archetypes ;-))
    QED.

And you better watch your mouth here, Or the next Sitcom you see may feature an obsessively correcting critic. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at August 22, 2017 12:53 PM MDT
      August 21, 2017 10:52 AM MDT

Good point; archetypes as opposed to stereotypes may be a better word, but I don't know how stereotypes can't exist in fiction. From before the dawn of television, when many of its first sitcoms began as radio shows, such as 'Fibber McGee and Molly', 'The Amos and Andy Show', etc, all had deeply stereotypical roles. The dufus husband married to the sensible wife, the smart-mouth kid, the lazy and shiftless black man who always tried for the easy way out. The list goes on and on.

As for your warning, look to Felix Unger in 'The Odd Couple' or Braxton P. Hartnabrig on 'The Jamie Foxx Show' or
    Sheldon in 'The Big Bang Theory'. It's been done.
    ~
      August 21, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

I don't know! I tried to think about it.. but stumbled upon the problem that I don't actually know which stereotype or stereotypes you mean.  I thought of one, ( I rarely watch tv so it's double difficult for me to take part in this challenge) called Not Going Out. 

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/not_going_out/
      August 21, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

I don't mean any one particular stereotype or any stereotypes in particular, I mean that the behaviors and moods of the main character or main characters are largely stereotypical depending on the story line. 

Look at 'Fawlty Towers' or 'Are You Being Served?' as examples. 
    ~
      August 21, 2017 12:23 PM MDT

Ahh I see... cool... thanks for explaining..  In a way though, isn't everything always a stereotype? Like all the action films? I love action films but to be honest, the leading man is always a stereotype... 

Fawlty Towers... well... that's certainly a mad stereotype.. Loads of stereotypes in Are You Being Served lol..  So in that context.. I would say that Lee Mack in Not Going Out was much less of a stereotype :)

August 21, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

Stereotypes are the basis of sitcoms. The ridiculous notion that only women know how to take care of a baby, make dinner, or clean the house; or that women are always the one to scream like a little girl at the sight of a spider, or are completely helpless when it comes to automobile maintenance, etc. are the engine that drives sitcoms.

Man screams at bug
      August 21, 2017 1:46 PM MDT

You're right, thanks!

~
      August 21, 2017 3:53 PM MDT

There must be some basis on which an audience can relate to the characters in a sitcom or there will be no interest in watching. The use of stereotypes is a common tool for drawing people in and holding their attention. Brings to mind the sitcom "Frasier." Frasier had stereotypical characteristics I could both relate to and recognize in others. As did his brother Niles. All of the characters really, and apparently others felt the same as the show was a huge success.
      August 21, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

How about "227"? 
      August 21, 2017 4:01 PM MDT

Wasn't Marla Gibbs' character on that show, María Louise, the epitome of one of many stereotypes about black women?
    ~
      August 26, 2017 2:08 PM MDT