Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Do you ever get embarrassed about being you? How so?

Do you ever get embarrassed about being you? How so?

Posted - September 9, 2017

Responses

I brag too much. I am accomplished at many things. I guess it is all from being bullied a lot as a child.
      September 9, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

Generally, no.  In this world of ordinary people, I 'm glad there's me... (and others) 
    RosieG, your question reminded me of one of your favorite singers,am I correct?

This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at September 10, 2017 2:35 AM MDT
      September 9, 2017 9:24 AM MDT

((hugs )) Does that answer your question my long-time friend? It really touches me that you remember such a detail about me. She was the best. No one in the world could scat like our Ella.  I'm glad there is you and I'm glad there is me. You know what's sad Beans? There are folks alive now who have never even heard of Ella Fitzgerald let alone heard her sing! Their loss! She could sing the dictionary or a telephone book and it would be AWESOME! There was something so uniquely joyful about her voice. Unduplicatable for sure. Thanks for the memory! Who is YOUR favorite singer Beans? If you told me once upon a time long ago I have forgotten. Apologies if so! :) ((hugs)) The second hug is just 'cause I felt like it! :)
      September 10, 2017 2:39 AM MDT

Ella, of course..another of my favorites is Carmen McRae...  Take Care long-time friend and ((hugs)) backatcha...
      September 10, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

I always enjoyed Carmen McRae as well. Ever hear Billie Holiday sing "Strange Fruit"? I don't know if Ella ever sang it. Her songs were usually upbeat and jazzy. Anyway that is one of my very favorite and saddest songs I ever heard. There is a program called "So You Think You can Dance". Don't know if you ever watch it but one of the choreographers was responsible for one of the most beautifully sad numbers the professionals ever danced to...yep. Strange Fruit It was just last week. Not too much was made of  it. They don't like to be pointedly controversial. But with the rise of WHITE RACISTS it was a definite smackdown slap-in-the-face and kick in the a** to those racist bigots and I LOVED it! You know Beans my favorite fridge magnet (I collect them) was given to me many years ago by a gal I loved(and still do) who was ALMOST my daughter-in-law. It says "Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know  they're always there !" Well good friendI that applies to you! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      September 10, 2017 10:04 AM MDT

I missed the dance performance...  Ella Fitzgerald, to my knowledge, never recorded 'strange fruit'... Many others did record the song, here is a version of by Carmen McRae (1962) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_03o2zG16U

British singer Rebecca Ferguson publicly declined an invitation from President-elect Donald Trump to sing at his inauguration saying that she would perform only if she could sing Billie Holiday’s “Strange Fruit.”
    To my knowledge, she didn't perform...

Here's an elongated background story leading up to, and after, Billie Holiday 1939 singing of 'Strange Fruit'...   IMO, it's a good story...    https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/m/margolick-fruit.html

You wrote.."Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they're always there !" You are right-on with that RosieG.. Take Care...
      September 10, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

Oh yeah.  A lot.  Shhhhh don't tell anyone though.

September 9, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

Of course i do, dont be ridiculous.
      September 9, 2017 9:34 AM MDT

Tee hee excellent question.. no, I never get embarassed by being me.. I think I am pretty cool in the scheme of things. There are people smarter than me, thinner, prettier, more competant.. but I am pretty ok all in all :)
      September 9, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

I'm old enough to have gotten way past that m'dear. I was a painfully shy child so every time I attracted attention I'd get embarrassed. I remember wishing for nothing more than being invisible sometimes. Now? Nothing about being me embarrasses me. I have come to terms with who I am, my strengths, my limitations. I can't change my DNA. I just live with it. I mean seriously what else can you do? Thank you for the compliment and your thoughtful reply Addb! Do I embarrass thee? I think sometimes I embarrass friends and family. They have never told me so. It's just something I wonder about! :)
      September 10, 2017 2:33 AM MDT

Yes I was never good at tying any kind of knots and getting home from a date sometimes my lady is waiting impatiently in the bedroom for me to get the knots in my shoelaces undone.
      September 9, 2017 10:50 AM MDT

Hahahaha hahaha! The mental image of that is hilarious! Thank you for sharing that with us Kg! :)
      September 10, 2017 2:34 AM MDT