Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What are your biggest public transportation pet peeves?

What are your biggest public transportation pet peeves?

I don't have a vehicle of my own so I rely on public transportation - usually buses - to go about my business. Do you take public transportation out of preference or necessity? When you do, what are your biggest pet peeves?

Posted - September 12, 2017

Responses

Here, it is the constant construction. Also we have a terrible public transportation system. I can drive to my sister's house in less than ten minutes. If I take a bus I must do the following: 1. Walk a half mile to a bus stop. 2. Wait for the bus. How long I have no clue. 3. Take the bus to downtown to get a transfer bus to her neighborhood. How long I have to wait I am unsure. 4. Get off at a stop more than a half mile from her house. . Total time...about an hour.
      September 12, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

That's how it is here! At least for anywhere outside the city. Takes me 2.5 hours sometimes to get somewhere I could have driven or ubered to in 15 min. But thankfully I live right in the city and most of the time do not have to worry too much about that. 
      September 12, 2017 11:31 PM MDT

I often make 2 - 3 trips daily. 
    Long waits sometimes then 2 or 3 same route busses show up one right behind the other. 
    Overcrowded busses specially during rush hour.
    People,  usually some fat person with a backpack standing at the front of the bus where the aisle is the narrowest when empty seats are available. 
    People walking up to the front of the bus to get off blocking those getting on. There is a back door.
    Young people pretending to be asleep or experiencing cell phone hypnosis not giving up seats to the elderly. 
      September 12, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

NOTHING grinds my gears more than people not giving up their seats to those who deserve them more. >:(
      September 12, 2017 11:32 PM MDT

Other people.
      September 12, 2017 4:18 PM MDT

'Other people' are the cause of most of our plights.
      September 13, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

Cyclist doing the most outrageous things riding their bikes irresponsiblly putting their lives and other at risk ....

i watch so so many male and female riders weaving in and out of congestered traffic almost daily.....so many do outrageous things around 40 ton articulated vehicles.......li don't know why 100's of them are not killed or nailed every day just riding their bikes around the streets of London each day.......l
    the police just turn a blind eye to them mostly....

Personally I think we should make a stand and confiscate their saddles .....if only to assist then in not falling off their bikes.....:)p
      September 12, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

That's exactly why I'm terrified to ride a bicycle in the city. I'm certain that I will get smashed by something if I do. My city does have pretty good bike lane but not good enough for me to feel safe everywhere. 
      September 12, 2017 11:36 PM MDT

When I drive in the city I'm horrified and cringe the stupid risks cyclist both young and old ,male and female alike do in front of any motor vehicle......they are in a different world and get so aggressive when their peddling along like crazy people or on their phones and oblivious to what vehicles are around them......

A guy in his twenties on a fixed wheel racing bike with no brakes knocked over and killed a young mum in London a few weeks ago and posted the most crass things about her on Facebook......
    I think he got prison , but cannot remember the outcome of it ....
      September 13, 2017 2:32 AM MDT

Cyclists aren't public transport. 
      September 13, 2017 4:50 AM MDT

What about the taxi services that use Tandems ......there are also hundreds of trike bike Rickshaws fings that transport two passengers around London ......so I beg to differ.....and I rarely have to beg by the way....hehe
      September 13, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

the odd time they show up late or don't show up.. or the very rarest of occasions, they don't stop at all.
      September 12, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

I ran after my bus the other day with 10 other people because it failed to stop at the right place and then stopped like a jackass in the middle of the next block. -_-
      September 12, 2017 11:40 PM MDT

I don't take buses, subways, or trains anymore.  But, when I did, my biggest pet peeve was people sneezing and coughing without covering their mouths. 
      September 12, 2017 6:12 PM MDT

Or picking their wedgies, scratching their balls, picking their noses... Seeing bare asses on seats, etc. 
      September 12, 2017 11:46 PM MDT

A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are on it...
      September 12, 2017 7:45 PM MDT

The other passengers. Loud teenagers, drunk adults, people who take up the whole seat, even the the people who just sit there with their headphones annoy me. lol 
      September 12, 2017 8:24 PM MDT

I take an express bus to work and because it's $6.50 each way, the bus is rarely full.  I can't recall the last time I took the subway - I'd rather walk ten miles than take the train.  Sometimes, I take a different express bus that lets me off about 10 blocks from my home.  There is a free transfer to the city bus but it's usually filled with old ladies who only want to do their food shopping at rush hour, so they wind up getting on the bus with their shopping carts and blocking the aisles and sometimes blocking empty seats.  The bus driver has the option of not letting them on with their carts, but they rarely do that.
      September 12, 2017 8:41 PM MDT

$6.50?! Holy, that's expensive!
      September 12, 2017 11:44 PM MDT

In my old age, I get a free bus pass lol.
      September 13, 2017 5:48 AM MDT

As you should!!!
      September 13, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

Yes, it is, but my employer contributes $85 a month towards our transportation and I figure that if I'm not working to make my life easier, I might as well retire. 
      September 13, 2017 6:38 PM MDT

That's a great point!
      September 13, 2017 9:17 PM MDT

Cancelled services
      September 13, 2017 4:49 AM MDT