Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » GENESIS.. not so much a story of creation as it is a story of restoration?

GENESIS.. not so much a story of creation as it is a story of restoration?

Posted - September 13, 2017

Responses

Yep.
      September 13, 2017 7:01 AM MDT

I just read that Evangelicals believe the world is 6,000 years old.  Do you ascribe to this? 
      September 13, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

No, and I am an Evangelical and can say without a doubt the earth is billions of years old. I really don't see how a person can be a Christian and not be an Evangelical.  

An Evangelical simply believes the Bible and a personal belief in  Jesus Christ is essential.

Those who believe the Earth is only a few thousand years old are called "Young Earth Creationists "

The only denomination I know who preaches young earth creationism  is 7th Day Adventism.

September 14, 2017 4:44 AM MDT

Didn't know that Adventist believed that. I know that some Baptist believe that. 
    You believe that Genesis isn't about creation?
      September 15, 2017 6:16 PM MDT

Genesis is about creation. Basically I believe in the Gap theory. And that God recreated things after it being destroyed.  I will post in detail tomorrow.  
      September 15, 2017 6:38 PM MDT

Gen 1

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    -
    The word 'was' is Strong's number 1961 and means hayah (haw-yaw); a primitive root [compare 1933]; to exist, i.e. be or become, come to pass (always emphatic, and not a mere copula or auxiliary).

The words 'without form' is Strong's 8414 and means tohuw (to'-hoo); from an unused root meaning to lie waste; a desolation (of surface), i.e. desert; figuratively, a worthless thing; adverbially, in vain.

The word 'void' is Strong's 922 and means bohuw (bo'-hoo); from an unused root (meaning to be empty); a vacuity, i.e. (superficially) an undistinguishable ruin.
    -
    Now go to Isaiah 45:18
    18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God Himself That formed the earth and made it; He hath established it, He created it not in VAIN, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

The word 'vain' is the same word that 'without form' is in Genesis 1:2 Strong's 8414.

-Therefore you have:
    Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth BECAME without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    -
    Isaiah 45:18
    18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God Himself That formed the earth and made it; He hath established it, He created it NOT WITHOUT FORM, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

I believe everything was destroyed....and God had to recreate it. In between the original creation and the recreation is billions of years...there is a Gap of billions of years between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2. This is the time of dinosaurs etc.

September 16, 2017 10:49 AM MDT

Restoring one's belief in supernatural creation? 
      September 13, 2017 7:24 AM MDT

or Cleansing of the Earth.

Bring it on Nuburu! This post was edited by carbonproduct at September 13, 2017 5:07 PM MDT
      September 13, 2017 8:29 AM MDT

How about them Evangelicals?

They think Genesis happened 6,000 years ago.

Trump loves the uneducated.

September 13, 2017 8:40 AM MDT

No, they are called Young Earth Creationists....not Evangelicals.  
      September 14, 2017 4:46 AM MDT

Well, that is NOT what I was told in this book on them.

I tried to read what makes them tick.  Answer?  Nothing.  Nothing at all.

A Field Guide to Evangelicals and Their Habitat.

You should check it out. 

A Field Guide to Evangelicals and Their Habitat

Open Preview
    A Field Guide to Evangelicals and Their Habitat
    by Joel Kilpatrick
    3.72 · Rating details · 74 Ratings · 18 Reviews

They're Going to Heaven . . . and They Know It

At last, a complete, unsparing guide to evangelical Christians. This hilarious and highly useful manual, written by an insider, illuminates this rapidly growing and unique segment of America and offers a thoroughly entertaining, no-holds-barred, laugh-out-loud survey of evangelical culture. See inside for the scoop on:

What Evangelicals Believe -- Plus a Master List of Who Is Going to Hell
    How to Party Like an Evangelical -- Ambrosia, Li'l Smokies, and Potluck Fever
    The Diversity of Evangelical Politics -- From Right-Wing to Wacko
    Evangelical Mating Habits -- The Shocking Truth (less)

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 15, 2017 11:26 AM MDT
      September 15, 2017 11:24 AM MDT

All I can say is whatever you read is wrong.

The term evangelical derives from the Greek word euangelion meaning “gospel” or “good news.” Technically speaking,evangelical refers to a person, church, or organization that is committed to the Christian gospel message that Jesus Christ is the savior of humanity. 
      September 15, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

First instance of degenerative mutation.  I feel sorry for apes everywhere.
      September 15, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

I think a prior creation would have resulted in more leftover debris than that This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 13, 2017 9:04 AM MDT
      September 13, 2017 9:04 AM MDT

Many religions far more ancient than the Bible's creation, do believe that the Universe blinks in and out of existence.  Totally there.  Totally NOT there.  So, debris is moot.  I mean if you consider that idea.
      September 13, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

Could be, but then we need a second creation for there to be somewhere for the universe to be inbetween the times it is *on*
      September 13, 2017 9:31 AM MDT

• Even some scientists posit the idea of a cycle of Big Bang/Big Crunch, so who knows? That could be true.
      September 13, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

Wrong, unless you use the faulty KJV. KJV says "replenish the earth", NKJV and most others say "fill the earth".

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/gen/1/28/t_bibles_1028
    Gen 1:28 (KJV) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
      September 15, 2017 8:04 AM MDT

Interesting, do you think it to be a story of restoration?
      September 15, 2017 11:17 AM MDT

• Genesis is about creation and restoration. In the beginning God "created" the heavens and the earth. Restoration of sorts after the flood. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 21, 2017 10:25 PM MDT
      September 21, 2017 10:23 PM MDT

GENESIS.. not so much a story of creation as it is a story of restoration?

The Old Testament reads almost like a story of the Israelites, the first of whom were the children of Jacob renamed Israel after it is contended that he wrestled with God and won. It traces back what it contends to be the family history of the Israelites through Abraham and Noah right back up to Adam, the first man, who the OT contends was created about 5777 years ago, in the year 3761 BCE [October 7 to be precise contends scholar Rabbi Yossi ben Halafta, a 2nd century Rabbi]. The OT contends to tell of the history of the Israelites in Egypt, of the Exodus led by Moses, how Moses brought them a law from God Himself, about the wars, the exiles the dispersals, the building and destructions of their main temple and all other events all the way to the expectation of a Messiah who the OT contends would bring them final peace from all their tribulation. The New Testament is about the claim of a Jesus of Nazareth to be that Messiah. A claim that the majority of the Israelites rejected because Jesus chastised them instead of freeing them from the rule of the Romans.

So GENESIS.. not so much a story of creation as it is a story of contentions?

September 24, 2017 2:49 PM MDT